• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke your motor from WMO?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, the "Permissible Fuels" list in the -10, does not list UMO.:shock:

what about during winter will it then be too thick for the IP to handle? and i have heard about the refrigeration oil ( i read that thread)
but i don't think it was finally decided weather or not it was safe to burn (nerve gas and all) just wondering because i may have a good supply of that will have to look into that. (these alternative fuels are the deciding vote upon deuce or other MV) Thanks.:p

airmech3839

I would recommend filter clean and filter!! I have run WMO for a year as a daily driver and I finaly lost the in-tank pump then the IP has started to falter!! I would cut it as often as possible and run less WMO in winter especially if it is really cold. Change your filters often!!

robertb

I have been running pure WMO for the last 3,000 miles with no problems at all. I pump it into drums and store it until I need it. I use the 6HP clean water pump from Harbor Freight. I filter it coming in to the pump with a 100 micron metal mesh washable filter. Coming out of the pump I have two 30 micron Wix Oil filters, and a 10 micron canister type fuel filter. When I pump it out of the drums, it goes through the same filters again. I have had no problems doing it this way. I change the three outgoing filters after pumping about 150 to 200 gallons of oil. The primary fuel filter on my Deuce has gone the entire 3000 miles with no problem, and I just changed it this week. As for starting, I live in Louisiana and we don't see a lot of really cold weather. However, during the last week we had temps going down to 17 degrees. I hit the red button that morning and the Deuce cranked just like it does at 80 degrees. I was surprised, but very happy. I have begun running used ATF, and it is doing fine. I filter it the same way.

46powerwagon

I think and this is just my opinion. Running any alternative fuel in your deuce other than diesel is most likely going to end in premature engine failure and components. How long depends upon a variety of issues. The military's need for a multifuel engine basically comes out of WWII. Most American engines of that era for tactical trucks were gas powered. Being that your fighting a war overseas the logistical nightmare of supplying proper octane fuel to a fighting advancing military and sometimes retreating was monumental. So in order to better utilize your military assests, it would be great if that advancing military had a constant source of fuel (any fuel) to keep them going. Remember Rommels Afrika corps (Germany) had a very hard time keeping their tanks resupplied with diesel,if only they had multifuel back then. The multifuel deuces or engines that you own today are born out of the mistakes or advancing technology of WWII.
The problem with multifuel engines is not that it won't burn just about anything that is flammable. It is the fuel sources themselves which will eventually destroy your engine. The multifuel diesel has a compression ratio of about 22:1 atmospheres. Diesels volatility is much lower than gas so you have to put the squeeze on it to ignite. As you compress the diesel you create friction which creates heat which inturn vaporizes the fuel mixture for proper combustion across the dished piston. The multifuel was designed to run diesel as a first fuel source "the preferred fuel" whenever possible, also because it was already readily available. Only use alternative in extreme emergencies or situations like being on a battlefield and running out of fuel.
Oh wait theres a disabled jeep,truck,etc with some gas in it, drain the crankcase and mix some used motor oil with it for pump lubrication. Then once out of harms way replenish with diesel. That was the concept,never to switch over to any other fuel source for an extended amount of time. Again the devil is in the details. The diesel runs at higher temps,therefore a diesel is built with looser tolerances. At first startup if you have a tuned ear and especially in colder climates it sounds as if the engine is going to knock itself apart but after a couple minutes warming up the gaps start to close and tighten and it becomes more efficient and responsive. It's those first minutes that are critical to really any engine especially diesels as there is a lot of crankcase blowby.
This is where the alternative fuels that are just being filtered come into play. You are filtering out the particles so it's passes through the fuel and IP pump and injectors. But are any chemical analysis being done on the chemistry of the alternative fuel your burning. I chance a guess and say no. Theres some nasty chemistry in WMO/WVO used brake,hydraulic,old burnt transmission fluid and gear oil. Diesel comes right from the refinery and has additives in it for proper cleaning and combustion. Even then the engines need rebuilds at certain intervals. Putting something other than preferred fuel into your engine and your increasing the likelyhood of premature failure of lower end engine components (bearings). Also a lighter fuel than diesel will find it's way into your crankcase faster and also wash your cyclinder walls down of oil (scoring of cyclinder walls). Just condensation in your crankcase from sitting for a while will etch you crank, rod,cam bearings not to mention antifreeze if it's gets in from a blown head gasket. Most multifuels were already rebuilt at some time,so it's safe to say that most deuces out there already have high hrs and mileage on the truck,which is engine wear. If you have a tired engine already you will be speeding up the process. And don't believe the hobbs meter or odometer they are easily dis and reconnected which misleads you into thinking that your truck is low hrs and mileage.
I don't think the military ever used the multifuel as some people are now using it to burn alternative fuels. I was in the USMC back in the early 80's and we always ran diesel,nothing else. As a military asset it's nice to have when you need it (tactical situation) but don't abuse it. You guy's are now the guinea pigs,it's your vehicle. Just keep checking your oil quality in your crankcase and look for signs of other than what should be normal oil texture,viscoscity,smell. Probably help to do more frequent oil changes too. Hey at almost 24 qts oil change,you can just turn around and dump it back into your tank. You can get yourself on your own list of people that you pickup used oil from. And if your engine sounds like it's going to grenade itself,well parts and trucks are still pretty cheap right now,stimulate the economy. A penny isn't worth anything anymore,so it's not worth my time to give 2 cents. So heres my "Just my $25.00

oddshot

A year and a half ... and over 4,800 looks at this thread.

By my count we killed 2 possible fuel pumps ... an IP ... and a o-ring. No reported engine damage ... on this thread.

I wonder how many miles have been logged and how many gallons of WMO have been burned ... with no problem ... by folks who posted here.

More than a couple, I'd guess.

I got over 6,000 miles burning a wide variety of waste oils since February with no problem.

As long as its filtered ... and the viscosity of the WMO has been adjusted sufficiently to pass through the filters ... I can't see any problem.

There may be some additional benefit (i.e., safety, power, MPG's) in adjusting the specific gravity and viscosity to levels closer to that of the range of alternate fuels listed by the designers as safe to use, but that's the subject for another thread.

oddshot

mikew

I've run about 250 gallons of UMO through my truck in the last year, mixed with anywhere from 20% to 50% diesel, with no issues so far.

So, say at 3.75 a gallon for diesel, I've saved about $940 on fuel. The last used motor I purchased (for another truck) cost me $600. So if mine blows on the way home, I'm still ahead $340.

dmetalmiki

Pumps Fail

I know off a few people over here that have run waste engine oil and promptly had thier in tank pump pack up! When I tried it the pumps would not lift it hardly and the engines only really got going after piling on the revs. Another factor that has me downright puzzled is why no one mentions the C..p and SMOKE that ensues with running WMO. When I run even slightly less than20% behind my truck is EMBARRASING!..I have to lift off frequently to let other drivers see where they are going and I DO considar thier breathing requirments!. And my concern is also about bieng reported for bad smoke emmisions. OK don't care?.. NOT ok if you (over there and here) are pulled over and questions asked about what you are running on. (as) duty would be assumed not to have been payed on anything but regular fuels. This is the prime rweason I stick to "contam" which is petro;/deiel mix. OH!..and CLEAN! Just my 1/2 'Peneth.

mikew

I don't seem to have a smoke issue. It will generate some smoke, right when you take off, if it's been idling for a while but it will do that with straight diesel too.

The only way anyone has ever known I run UMO is because I've told them.

Does anyone else generate a lot of smoke with UMO?

srodocker

ive ran over 20 tanks of 100% WMO. and stil going strong. granted during winter i run 100% diesel. this year i might go 80% diesel 20% WMO to test it. but who knows what tempts we will have this year

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've got 4,000 on the little Draggin', and prob 4,500 or more on the She Beast, in the last year.
They've been oil burners from the day we got them.
I've dumped some bad mixes into the tank in the early days of trying to get the filter system worked out :roll: That resulted in clogged filters. Other than filter clogs (mostly from dirty fuel systems when we got them), we've had trouble pulling real cold 100% WMO from the tank resulting in air suck from lose connections, and hard starts when it's cold (again 100%).

No smoke that's not norm (ie. during warm up, on grades, after a shift). The She Beast can make a good plume on some grades but her FDC is bypassed . . . and Elise just gets rowdy some times . . . think I'm going to turn her fuel down a bit so that I can keep up :driver:

Now that fall is coming on we're starting to mixing down. I'll be running an 80/20 mix on my way down from N Nev.

russ132

I have put a little over 20,000 miles on my truck in the last year running 90 to 95% oil. During the summer I run 100% veg oil and during the winter I run the 90 to 95% WMO mix. Not one problem so far. I dewater all of my oil and then centrifuge it. Nothing other than the standard filter changes necessary.

oddshot

Does anyone else generate a lot of smoke with UMO?
I get some smoke on cold start-up and during cold operation. When the engine gets up to temp, the smoke drops off.

I never get great black billowing clouds of it ... Oh ... there might be enough to cause somebody from California or New Jersey get woozy ... or maybe even faint a little. But certainly not enough to upset a Georgian.

oddshot

mikew

I guess just as a clarification; my truck doesn't smoke any MORE with WMO than with straight diesel, except on startup when quite cold but not a smokescreen.

My truck is in stock configuration, not turned up, and smokes the same amount as the other trucks I've bought and sold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks