• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Wayne Harris, GA

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'll be making a quick visit to Wayne's place in Southern Georgia next weekend. I'm picking up an M532 laundry trailer for Bruce Beattie. Eventually the trailer will go cross country to California, but that will be another story.
Anybody got something they want brought North a bit (to Virginia)?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ya Bjorn, if you are offering to bring stuff back up to va. if you had room you could bring the 819 up, just thought id throw that out, being that i just got back from aberdeen, and have miss my mv BLUES :cry:

Hookin1

Glad to here that Bjorn....I had been talking to bruce about getting it to indiana...was hoping someone would meet me half way.At least it's starting it's trip.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wayne Harris has a couple of acres of military surplus of all kinds. Perhaps we can get him to post images. He also sells his goods on ebay. Can't begin to list what he has.
He is located a little inland from I-95 and Hwy 84, near Jesup.

Dieselsmoke

I guess I am lost here but how does getting Bruce's trailer from GA to VA get it any closer to Berkely? Aren't they both about 2600 miles from Berkely?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to jump in here. I too have swapped tons of stuff from Wayne including 2 deuces, 1 M105 trailers a semi trailer and the M887 Dodge. Very good guy and my friend. Bjorn, please tell Wayne I've not forgotten about his gensets. As soon as I can do it I'll run up and get a few to work on.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, it's a good possibility that I'll drive West this summer and can haul Bruce's trailer part of the way. South Georgia is a little outside regular East-West routes. I-40 would be my first choice.

Lloyd, I plan on arriving at Wayne's early morning on Tuesday (May23) and stay for a few hours to fix the trailer up and possible get a few things from him while there. Maybe you can stop by for a visit.

Kenny, I'll mention the gensets. He has a 5-ton wrecker, but if he wants them moved up front closer to the road, I'll give him a (robotic) hand.

jwaller

cranetruck said:
Bill, it's a good possibility that I'll drive West this summer and can haul Bruce's trailer part of the way. South Georgia is a little outside regular East-West routes. I-40 would be my first choice.

Lloyd, I plan on arriving at Wayne's early morning on Tuesday (May23) and stay for a few hours to fix the trailer up and possible get a few things from him while there. Maybe you can stop by for a visit.

Kenny, I'll mention the gensets. He has a 5-ton wrecker, but if he wants them moved up front closer to the road, I'll give him a (robotic) hand.
I've got many friends in s ga and I went to college down there and have friends in jesup. I could tow/haul whatever from there to my place here in columbia. that would get it a few hundered miles closer.

poppop

Bjorn
Give me an address on Wayne so I can get a map. I e-mailed him several weeks ago and he did not reply. I would love to drop by to meet you and see Wayne's stuff if time permits.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay LLoyd, I'll get you the directions when I get them out from my old stack of notes and jwaller, I want to drop by Wayne's regardless, to do some shopping on my own, but thanks for the offer. Perhaps we can all meet at Wayne's place. :)
I'll be testing a new valve in my heated fuel tank system too, so the extra couple of hundred miles is part of the plan.

My fuel cost is not astronomical with the home brewed biodiesel and veggie oil anyway.

Dieselsmoke

Hey Bjorn, if you do make it out this way, maybe you can plan it when we're having one of our shows or something, just an idea.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, the reason this came up at all is because my wife got a teaching job offer out there (she has family in California). It would only be temporary, but if she goes, she wants a bunch of stuff transported in that direction. She is an art teacher and has tons of materials that goes with the job. I jokingly suggested that the deuce can do it and when she considered the alternatives she started to accept it as an adventure.
If this happens, the route will be I-40 all the way and the time about the middle of July. The cranetruck will also be hauling the M532 laundry trailer for Bruce Beattie, so we will be loaded down. The trailer weighs about 8,500 lb and the (empty) cranetruck about 17,000.
I will return right away and being semi-retired (can't quite admit it)should have time for visits along the way.

What event(s) are you thinking of, Bill?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still insurance hunting...
My usual insurance co (Progressive) decided not to let me renew. I have cancelled the policy too many times in the past after road trips and because of long periods of work on the truck etc. aua
Trip will be delayed a couple of days.

About "Uninsured motorist" from the DMV: The DMV offered to give me trip permits to and from Wayne's place in Georgia, no tags or insurance needed. They just ask for the prorated "fine" up front (for driving without insurance)! It would be $95 for the trips, but there would be no insurance coverage. Crazy!

PS: RDM, I called your insurance agent, but they don't handle Virginia and there may be a problem with your listing (putting the truck in with your personal automobiles) so I wouldn't push it. Don't think they realized how big the deuce was until I described mine. :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks