• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Wayne Harris, GA

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, waiting for a quote from Gulfway.
They didn't ask about any modifications, so the crane didn't come up...yet...

If all standard parts available at the time period are used, a number of odd configurations are possible, just not listed in the manuals. Mine would be "Truck, Pipeline Construction" W/Hydraulic Crane... :D
(Yes, my 1972 K-boom is mil spec and supposed to be used with M35 series trucks).

In the past, one problem with insuring collector type vehicles has been the permitted driving range, 250 miles max I think. :cry:

Attachments

ida34

Bjorn,
The crane will come up when you send them the pictures with the application. I bet they will not say anything about it. I am very happy with them so far.

Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats better! I can't wait to see what it will cost to insure the crane truck considering I'll have 2 trucks with them. Looks like you're on the road Bjorn!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Schedule revised again.

I plan to bid on a GL lot in Jacksonville, FL (thanks for the tip Kenny!) and since the bidding ends in the middle of June, I'll delay my visit to Wayne Harris.

RDM (Robert), do you still need regular 20" deuce wheels? I can bring some down from my "junk" pile if you want them, free of charge. I think I can spare six, but they come with the old 900 tires still on them.
I don't want to drive through Atlanta, but will be going thru Columbia, SC unless you would like to meet up at Wayne's, of course.

Dieselsmoke

cranetruck said:
Bill, the reason this came up at all is because my wife got a teaching job offer out there (she has family in California). It would only be temporary, but if she goes, she wants a bunch of stuff transported in that direction. She is an art teacher and has tons of materials that goes with the job. I jokingly suggested that the deuce can do it and when she considered the alternatives she started to accept it as an adventure.
If this happens, the route will be I-40 all the way and the time about the middle of July. The cranetruck will also be hauling the M532 laundry trailer for Bruce Beattie, so we will be loaded down. The trailer weighs about 8,500 lb and the (empty) cranetruck about 17,000.
I will return right away and being semi-retired (can't quite admit it)should have time for visits along the way.

What event(s) are you thinking of, Bill?
Sorry Bjorn, somehow I missed this post. Anyway I was thinking if you were coming out later in the year we have lots of events going on, but nothing I know of for July. Figured you'd want to make the most out of the journey :) Either way we'll have to try and hook up somehow.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert: I'll bring six tires/wheels and if the arrangement with Ryan doesn't work out time wise, perhaps I can bring Joel's locust wood for you to haul back to the Atlanta area. Ryan may not have space on his deuce coming back from PA next week.

Bill: You are some 500 miles North of my route, but perhaps you could take Bruce Beatties's laundry trailer to him, which I'll be bringing cross country. He is in Berkely, CA. That would be a reason for the extra miles if nothing else.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, Ryan, I'm still getting the insurance processed for my deuce. It will not be road ready by the 5th.
Gulfway still has to approve the application and it's all done by mail.
(I also need the deuce to pick up the wood at the sawmill)

New plan: I bring the locust along with 20" wheels to Wayne Harris in Jesup GA. Robert Miller picks up the wheels and (pending his approval) brings the wood back to Atlanta.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gin pole spreader bar...interesting. Life without a crane, hard to imagine. :)

Looks like the boards were well cared for for the year you kept them Kenny.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to keep them fresh Bjorn. They were housed in that M109 body the whole time. addressing your statemnt, there is life without a crane? I had no idea! I set that up for when the guy came over to pick up all the goodies from the 756. All he had to do was back his trailer under the thing and climb up on the crane and set it down. Speaking of spreader bars, I scrapped that tow sling that was on the truck but kept the spreader piece. Its too heavy to muscle around but at least I have smoething for a spreader if i need it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got insurance coverage for the deuce.
Ended up with Allstate (local agent). They would only do it if they got all our vehicles, so we gave them the business. Only restriction is "no commecial use". The crane never came up, only the gross vehicle weight, wheel base and estimated value. Premium: $495/yr.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rdixiemiller, the wheels and tires look like this. They are welded and may give you some trouble when separating the "disc" from the wheel itself.
Let me know if you can use them, I don't want to bring them down there for no reason.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, pending your successful bidding, when do you think you might pick up at JAX? I might bid on a bare 7 ton cab there if you can sit in in the back if my pickup truck. Just thinking about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks