• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Wayne Harris, GA

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting the deuce ready for the trip and will be in GA/FL on Monday or Tuesday.

I will meet you at JAX NAS if you need a lift, tires or no tires and can adjust the schedule to suit you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm reconsidering my options here after speaking with my financial advisor. No one had bid on the cab and $50 seemed reasonable for the seat that I wanted but after factoring in the expense of the ride up and back. I've decided the money would be best used on the wrecker. Thanks for the generous offer Bjorn!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the tire auction is ending as we speak and a bit too rich for my taste, so I'm going with "plan B", 4 ea new 1100-20 NDCC's and siping.
Anybody know a good deal on those tires between Western VA and Florida?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you mount them on site?
I have thousands of miles on the tires now on the deuce and trust them even with the extensive wear. Any replacement will have to be fresh and without any signs of aging. Would be good to know the date code.
Thanks for the offer, may be the ticket.

jasonjc

I have a tire hammer and a hyd bead braker haven't tryed it yet. some still have the little thing's on them they are under a big trap hard to look at for a date code I have some 12.50R20's also.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Directions to Wayne Harris from Jesup, GA:

Take 341 to small town of Odum and then on to small town Surrency turn left in Surrency onto 121 South go about 5 to 10 miles to the next paved crossroad and turn right onto Holmesville Road go to you see some High-power electric wires (cross country type, big steel towers) across the road turn left there onto Harris Road (dirt) go to the second dirt road on right (you will see big pile of junk and a 5t wrecker across the field)

I'll be visiting him on Tuesday next week, dropping off RDM's tires/wheels and getting the laundry trailer ready.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arrived at Waynes' this morning. Taking pictures, but they will have to wait until I get back.
I'll be heading down to Camp Blanding this afternoon for a pick up tomorrow.
Haven't heard from NEIOWA about the Jacksonville pick up, so I'm not sure about Thursday.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrightythen! Got an email from Wayne Harris, Bjorn is loaded and headed home. He daparted Wayne's World at around 2100. Godspeed Bjorn!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a beginning of a series of pictures from the trip
(It's Wayne Harris who operates the crane offloading Robert Miller's tires).

I'll have trip stats later, lots of catching up to do.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more numbers:
Trip length was 1,201 miles, first 800 miles with tires or dolly as cargo produced 8.5 mpg.
Last 400 miles with laundry trailer as shown above, produced 7.7 mpg.
Burned 110 gallons of biodiesel/veggie mix and 37 gallons of diesel for the trip.

With the fuel selector valve working well this time, I was able to switch between diesel and bio at any time. Interestingly, diesel imediately increased the boost by 2 to 3 psi and the EGT increased
to 1,150 °F. BUT there was no actual change in performance, perhaps a better MPG, but wouldn't know with the information at hand.

The bikini top did well in the heat, but it was still unacceptably hot in the cab. Measured an air temp of 110 °F with an ambient of 95-100 °. Drank at least a gallon of water a day, still got dehydrated.

Removed the custom radiator cover for the return trip to keep the engine operating temp below 200 °F.

Another interesting tidbit, with some of my tires balding and some almost new (laundry trailer), the temperature of the new tires (including my decent front tires) got almost too hot to touch, while the "balding" tires remained fairly cool. The movement of the large rubber cleats must generate a lot of heat...
Driving speed with the laundry trailer was 50-55 mph. Kept 33 mph in fourth gear going up I-77 from NC into VA, a 7-8 mile long 5% incline.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks