• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commo Gear for the GA Rally

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, if you are planning on attending the GA Rally and have some commo gear, please post up what stuff you have.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For commo in the camp (putting out info) we will have the PA system that we had last year.

For commo as in calling back from the trailrides to the rear we have discussed some options but did not come up with a solution yet.

All ideas are welcome.

SixSpeed

Banned
I have a well tuned CB set up in the Unimog. A properly set up CB works quite well.

I also have various radio comm gear for Search & Rescue purposes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if the CB's will make the distance with all the terrain. As WM pointed out, would be nice to set up communications between the base and trail leaders. I'm kicking myself in the can for getting rid of all the RT524s I had.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rally date is Oct. 20-24, 2010. Everything else is the same. It's already in the events calendar, will have a thread up soon.

Kenny and I (and some others) talked earlier this week about commo. Here's the PM I sent him:

Ultimately the goal is to have the base camp be able to communicate with the people out on the trail rides.

This will necessitate some kind of HQ area at base camp where people would know "I need to find so&so that's out on the trails" could go to make sure the call gets to us out on the trails.

And it would necessitate at least 2 people out on the trails have commo capability.

I know some of you own military commo gear and some have civvy stuff. I am ambivalent on what we use, although using authentic mil stuff would have neato factor.

Ultimately, I want one person to take on this project. The ideal candidate would be capable of having a complete commo plan in place within say 45 days along with a secondary backup plan so if the first plan fails, we would still have a commo program. Pay for this job would consist absolutely nothing other than a pat on the back at the campfire and you would be working for a relentless taskmaster.

Once the candidate has been chosen, I would prefer (corporate speak for "this is how it's gonna' be) they handle all communication amongst the people handling the commo plan. The ideal candidate would go out and find reliable partners to ensure the project's success.

Does anyone want to head this up?

Gracias

So how about it? Who can head this up?

Blythewoodjoe

I have a ham radio I was thinking of putting in the M886 if anyone else has their license. My radio works in the 2m and 70 cm ranges I think. I will be an expert in the use of this radio by then (I have been asked to be an emergency communication person at church) but right now I know little about how to use it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about using GMRS radios. There are a lot of channels, a reasonable range, and many probably already have them. If not, they are relatively cheap. As flat as it is, the range should be no problem.

poppop

I bought four strong GRMS radios to use at the Rally. But they were mainly for communication between the front and rear of the trailrides. I am pretty sure they would be useless to talk to camp because of the terrian. We had several cases last year where someone got stuck and the people in front did not know what happened. The rule was keep the truck in front of you and to the rear insight at all times, but hey, we were having fun and some people forgot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks