• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commo Gear for the GA Rally

zout

PB - I know Dinger is proabably going to let me bring his PRC's along with all the gear he was trying to sell a while back - headsets - loudspeaker - antenna - heck he even has a Homlite generator that was used for radio operations that has the molded case to it - thing is nearly silent running.

I know it filled up the back of his Yukon with all the gear he was trying to sell

REGULATOR

I am a ham,
I plan on bringing 2x 2m radios, 2x cb, 1x 6m portable, and 2 x uhf radios

I also have a buddy (Paul/N7SDQ) who is retired military, and a ham who wants to come along and sit inthe base camp and work radios.

I can put you in touch with him, but I know he has a radio capable of all the freqs the mil radios cover as well as the ham radios.

he was planning on just camping out and enjoyingt he festivities and helping out where possible

shoot me a PMwhen possible with some contact details so I can fwd his info to you

chad
kd5kre

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If needed:

Not a ham, yet, but I do have an OE254 and most of the parts for a second one. Seems like I'm always short the antenna rods that go on the head, especially the smaller ones.

Will see if I can get them complete by rally time.

As for radios.....have to wait and see, not sure yet but I have 2 x 524s with 442s and a 2m band but nothing is installed nor tested.

Working on getting a PP6224 or PP2945 power supply so I can base mount the radio in a tent or alternatively just run an AN/GRA39 if I can validate I have a functional one.

REGULATOR

I wish I could get my hands on some Military radios and ants.

would love to have a 524 and antennas in my m1009..

I can assemble a Oe 254 in no time flat...

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Just a questoin i have a prc-10 and 2 er79 s i would like to know if they work. the prc 10 is compleat and turns on . if i bring them would some one be able to look at the prc 10 and let me know if it is in working order. the er79's will be up for sale just radios no accesorys. tks.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You bet we can help you check out the PRC-10. But please help me out a little, what's an "er79"? [edit: also what is an Oe 254 ?]

I got my PRC-77 in the mail yesterday and today I got it working and on the air. It talks to the SEM-35 just fine. I am lucky to have another ham nearby, my daughter, N0QGH :) That's another radio ready for the SSGA.

Those of you who have mentioned the RT-524's, those really would make a good base station because they run much higher power than the portable stuff. I have not personally used one though.

Bob
WB4ETT

Just a questoin i have a prc-10 and 2 er79 s i would like to know if they work. the prc 10 is compleat and turns on . if i bring them would some one be able to look at the prc 10 and let me know if it is in working order. the er79's will be up for sale just radios no accesorys. tks.

Last edited:

REGULATOR

plenty of experience on the rt 524... works great on a vehicle with the proper working matching unit.

not sure what a er 79 is ...got a picture? is it known by another name?

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You bet we can help you check out the PRC-10. But please help me out a little, what's an "er79"? [edit: also what is an Oe 254 ?]

I got my PRC-77 in the mail yesterday and today I got it working and on the air. It talks to the SEM-35 just fine. I am lucky to have another ham nearby, my daughter, N0QGH :) That's another radio ready for the SSGA.

Those of you who have mentioned the RT-524's, those really would make a good base station because they run much higher power than the portable stuff. I have not personally used one though.

Bob
WB4ETT
I was told by the guy i got all 3 radios from that the er79 is the french version of the prc 10. they look similar the face is a little diff.

Steaminjim

Comm Gear

Have a field telephone to loan to the cause. Could even come up with some wire. Have plenty [1/8 mile] of the good copper stuff the phone company uses.

:nothingfunny:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
plenty of experience on the rt 524... works great on a vehicle with the proper working matching unit.
I sure hope you are there at the rally Regulator. Got one other feller that "might" know how to run the power cables etc. but I sure don't wanna fry the only 524 I have!.
Being a lowly grunt with zero commo experience i will need some help.

Now give me a PRC 25 or 77 and a pencil eraser and a little spit for the o rings and I will make that rascal work!!
(Oh... might need a battery....LOL).

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
Wire commo is best when the wire can be buried so it does not present a tripping hazard or hang down low and get snagged by a vehicle or person. We appreciate the thought!

REGULATOR

Oh and a OE 254 is a base station antenna,

although I have attached one to a Tracked vehicle before and drove all over with it..

its a real joy to assemble and post up.

Id be interested in gettign ahold of one for personal use.

again, I'm licensced so I can also toss a PRC-77 in my truck and operate is need be,

I'll have my low powered VX-5r HT that does 2m/440/6m on me at all times,
and in my truck mounted will be a 2m/440 and a 10/11(cb)/12 m rig

my 1009 will have a CB at a min, and a 2m HT if my boy gets his ticket before the rally.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We will be running wire for the PA speakers again.

Last year we only ran it a short distance and got it high enough to keep from being a hazard.

As small as the camp is phones may be overkill but they would be cool.

You could call ahead to the Mess Hall and make reservations.

Years ago I was in a signal unit in Germany.....I remember when we had manual switchboards that were operated by Womens Army Corp (WACs) gals.

We also had "Wire Dogs" that strung the wire and hooked up the phones and switches.

REGULATOR

maybe I missed it, but what is the furthest distance from the site that the off road course goes? I see its fairly woodsy terrain, but didn't see any extreme elevations or mountains to block anything.

got a grid? was thinking of doing some line of sight survey type data work on some maps to see what sort of commo issues we might encounter

depending on distance/LOS, 2m simplex might work great in addition to the 6m simplex that will be compatible with most military radios ( and licensed operators)

this should be fun, I get to combine radios and 4x4 in one trip!!

my Vx5r Hand held 50 mhz radio only puts out about 5 watts, so will be interesting to see how well it works, if anything it will be great veh to veh

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ten,
I've got 3 GE MVS mobile 40watt VHF radios, with the software to reprogram, I think they are good down to 146.550. I also have 4 old GE PLS 5watt hand helds, that I can have reprogrammed as well. I have one of the MVS set up as a base station, the other is free and one is mounted in my RR service truck. Easy to pull out though.

Let me know. They seem to have very good range.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the offers to help and bring equipment in preparation for a communications net at the great Georga SS gathering in Durhamtown. It's hard to believe we're just about a month from the GA SS event!!!

Let's concentrate on getting our wide area net on 51 MHz, using green radios if possible. We've had several hams volunteer to man their own or other's radios.

Of course those of you who have other types radios and want to use them, please do. Truck to truck comms while out on convoys can rely on FRS, CB, whatever you have. There are obvious advantages to using unlicensed radios.

In camp we will have one or more antennas up on poles to get some altitude above the terrain. 51 MHz will be monitored during the day, and especially when convoys are out. Anyone with a VHF radio can monitor 51 MHZ with us.

I have picked up a PRC-77 and an amp for it, and have the antennas, so that part is ready.

On a personal note, planning for this event got me back into mil surplus radios again after about 30 years of recovery from the disease. I blame you guys for drawing me back in as an addict.

Any of you with HF coverage radios, even though there is no current plan to use them around camp, please bring them for a show and tell. I plan to have a PRC-74B and PRC-174S operational on the HF bands.

Bob/tennmogger/WB4ETT

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As we get closer to the GASS Rally (now isn't more descriptive than SSGA?!) let's find out who has operational and tested VHF green radios.

Commo central in camp will have PRC-77 with AM-4477 amp, and elevated antenna. Several other people have said they are bringing base station equipment, too. We'll also have a modern radio on 6m FM, 51 MHz, as backup, and probably off-hours monitoring.

Please let me know if you have an operational and tested radio and antenna in your truck, and will be going on the convoys/trails. It will need to function on 51 MHz, in the 6m ham band.

thanks,

Bob WB4ETT