• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commo Gear for the GA Rally

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought four strong GRMS radios to use at the Rally. But they were mainly for communication between the front and rear of the trailrides. I am pretty sure they would be useless to talk to camp because of the terrian. We had several cases last year where someone got stuck and the people in front did not know what happened. The rule was keep the truck in front of you and to the rear insight at all times, but hey, we were having fun and some people forgot.
I have two Midland GMRS radios that I use quite heavily. I live on 32 acres in Towns County in a very heavily wooded and mountainous area of North Georgia, completely surrounded by National Forest and the radios reach around several miles in spite of the mountains, with good quality communications. I have never used them in an area like where the rally will be, but I guessed that they would reach even further since it is much flatter there.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok guys, I am happy to announce that we have a commo director the the 10SSGR. Please put your hands together for tennmogger! :beer:

Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - View Profile: tennmogger

He has agreed to manage the communications aspect of the rally. Please help him in any way you can. He has taken on a large responsibility for a difficult boss for a little glory and lot less pay.

I'll let him take it from here, carry on gentlemen.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clinto, I think :D

Last year there were several instances when we really needed good communications... but nothing worked, not even cell phones. The goal, of course, is to avoid that problem this year.

We have abundant resources within our ranks. Many have mentioned CB, GMRS/FRS, Amateur radio, and, most importantly, military/green radios. All those radios work within their design parameters. Our comm plan will use various types radios to meet specific needs.

Several ham operators volunteered for comm service last year, and the critical comm channels will be handled by ham radio.

The basic plan I proposed to Clinto will rely on 6 meter Amateur band communications for the longer hauls around Durhamtown, and convoy leader's choice of radios and frequency between trucks for the trail rides, or around camp.

We will plan a ham operator and backup within each of the convoys to act as a relay station back to camp. In camp we'll have a good omni-directional antenna at a height to cover the area. (also planning to monitor CB and GMRS/FRS).

I considered HF operation for the long hauls but antennas are the limiting factor. A large HF antenna on a truck running around in the piney woods is not a happy antenna!

Most of our VHF military radios will operate on the 6 meter band in FM mode, as will newer ham HF/VHF transceivers. Only ham operators can transmit in a ham band. It's too bad that there really is no way to legally operate our green radios unless it's done on a ham band. As you all know, our green VHF radios usually operate from about 30 MHz to 70-80 MHz depending on the model, but actual operation within that range is not legal unless the operator is licensed. That range covers the 6 meter ham band.

Anyone can listen to those frequencies, and any frequency can be used for transmitting in an actual life-threatening situation, so tune up those green radios and antennas! We can also use unlicensed 'third party' operators within the ham band as long as the station is under the immediate control of the licensed ham. If you have an urge to help with the communications, but have no license yet, you won't be left out.

I'd like a list of the hams who plan to attend and want to assist. Please PM to me your SS name, call sign, real name, (as listed on your ham license), vehicle (if any), your license grade, and what radio and antenna you can have available (and working!) on 6 meters at the GA Rally. We're going to use 52.300 MHz as our net frequency so tune your radio and antenna for that freq.

Later on I'll ask for a list of the non-hams who have functional green radios. There's a good chance we'll have members who are hams but don't have 6 meter capabilities. A functional radio plus an operator equals a comm team!

The backup long haul frequency will be 146.550 MHz on the 2 meter band. If you have 2 meter equipment, bring it along.

Once we have our comm team coordinated, we should plan a radio checkout station in camp. If you have a green radio and antenna but don't know if it works, or know it needs tuning, etc, maybe we can help.

Bob/tennmogger

Ok guys, I am happy to announce that we have a commo director the the 10SSGR. Please put your hands together for tennmogger! :beer:...chop....

I'll let him take it from here, carry on gentlemen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, will this radio monitor any of the frequencies you listed above? C. Crane Company - CCRadio-SWPocket - Toll Free (800) 522-8863
I'd like to at least be able to monitor whats going on between trail leaders and base. I'll have FRS/ GMRS crap with me for comms within a trail ride group. ChevyC-60 came last year (neighbor) and he's into the green radios. Maybe I can scare up a 442 from him. I had a bunch of 524s but sold them many years ago.

phil2968

I have 2 GMRS Midlands that I had at last years rally but did not take them on the trails:doh:!
I will bring them again this year and put them to some good use!
I even have a license for them.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CCRadio Pocket is a neat little broadcast plus shortwave receiver but it does not cover the frequencies we'll be using.

If you can get ahold of an R-442 it will be a great monitor receiver. I just bought one here locally a few days ago and was playing with it this morning. It tunes the 52 MHz range just fine. You might be sure to have a headset for it, or an amplified speaker, because the audio output probably won't be enough for use in a vehicle otherwise.

Guys, any of the 'green radio' VHF wideband FM sets covering 30 to 70/80 MHz will work, even the one with the wide tuning steps of 50 kHz. It will be fun if we can have a 'totally green' radio network!

Anyone else who has an operational VHF transmitter-receiver please let me know.

So far I've only had a couple of people volunteer to assist with comms. I know we have more hams than that!!! (I hope!!). Otherwise we'll have to think about using CB, and we know that's an iffy proposition.

We still have months before the event but it's not too early to mount that green radio, screw on that antenna, and get with your local buddy to check out the radio. I was out in the radio truck this morning and enjoyed tuning around with the SEM-35 (German VHF set). Enjoy your toys!

Tennmogger aka Bob WB4ETT

Bob, will this radio monitor any of the frequencies you listed above? C. Crane Company - CCRadio-SWPocket - Toll Free (800) 522-8863
I'd like to at least be able to monitor whats going on between trail leaders and base. I'll have FRS/ GMRS crap with me for comms within a trail ride group. ChevyC-60 came last year (neighbor) and he's into the green radios. Maybe I can scare up a 442 from him. I had a bunch of 524s but sold them many years ago.

SixSpeed

Banned
Any idea what frequency there abouts we will be using? I have plenty of comm gear in the Unimog, would be happy to help out.

EDIT: Missed the large post a couple up, lol. TennMogger, I will PM you my info!

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I should have at least 2 PRC 25/77's and maybe a 524...might be of some use on the compound but I doubt any of the CAMO crew goes out on the trails....then again....who knows??:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think a 524 would be good at base. I wonder how quick I can get a technician license?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a fitzall license that usually gets me out of most trouble. Don't know how good it will hold up to federal charges though.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whoa!!!! I meant reception shouldn't be an issue cause it's mounted on the GT (high)!!!

I ain't taking any chances....if someone dosen't have a license etc...it will just be another display piece....LOL.

I have no intention of answering ANY charges!!! I like it on this side of the bars too much.fat lady sings

Blythewoodjoe

I would think a 524 would be good at base. I wonder how quick I can get a technician license?
Well I just used my ham radio license for the first time a few minutes ago. I know very little about all this, but could one of you guys tell me what frequency radios we are talking about here. Do you need a ham license to use them? I will be spending a lot of time this summer getting to know a lot about amateur radio and this would be helpful.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Bought it off ebay....no reserve...paid $235.00 delivered!! Seller put a stop to that though...he said when he sells another one the reserve will be WAYYYY higher than that!!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a PRC-77 on order, too. (also a PC-74B!). We should have a great time checking and 'netting' all these radios at the GA Rally!

In the mean time, my SEM-35, antenna, and antenna tuner have been checked out and work great.

I am anxious to compare receive performance between the PRC-77 and the SEM-35.

The SEM-35 is the original type VHF radio for my '65 Unimog radio comm truck.

Bob WB4ETT

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
tennmogger....are you a commo feller?
I've been told we have all the cables etc to hook up the 524...but I'm afraid to try. None of our folks have any commo experience and we don't wanna fry anything.
Gonna wait til the rally and see who can do it right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks