• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WisDOT on the warpath again!

undysworld

Recent efforts here resulted in 2 laws being passed last year, and a defeat of Trans-123.

By way of retribution, WisDOT/DMV has instituted some new policies, to further harass owners of nonstandard vehicles, including ex-military vehicles (like higher registration rates, and not issuing temporary plates). Now, they're taking another leap, by requiring photos of the vehicle's door, to determine whether it bears a NHTSA label certifying compliance with FMVSS (safety standards) as a reason to refuse registration.

Never mind the fact that there is no such law requiring this label to remain on the door after manufacturing, nor the fact that such doors are routinely replaced due to rust or accident.

We've already seen documentation that they're currently denying titles and registration to ex-military vehicles, pre-'70 vehicles, replica vehicles, etc.

This is merely WisDOT changing policy arbitrarily, realizing that they can do whatever they wish, so long as nobody successfully challenges them.

Over three weeks ago, Tom Zat, of Alfa Heaven, delivered a brief to WisDOT demanding that they cease refusing registration based on the lack of a label. He just got a reply, and DOT is defending their ruling. You can read his argument here. DOT's reply will be posted there soon, as I understand.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with changing the HMV law, which guaranteed Wisconsin collectors the right to register for parade/display uses.

This has to do with denying DMV the right to refuse your registration because your vehicle does not have a label. It has to do with demanding that WisDOT/DMV honor existing laws.

All owners of NONSTANDARD vehicles must stand united.

Wisconsin Citizens​
Call your Senator, and your Assembly Rep. and register your complaint about DMV's current refusals to register FMVSS-compliant vehicles.

Here's where you can find out who represents you: My Representatives

AceHigh

Very sad. Our DMV is not easy to deal with, but they do want your money. In fact they are trying to double the fees here in WV very soon.

Good luck with a real screwed up situation.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why not make up some NHTSA labels, put on a manget strip, put on the door, take a pic. remove the label, eather save for another truck or pass it on to somebody ealse who needs it. since there is NO law requiring it to REMAIN on

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it was there before, how many times have these trucks been repainted?

Flyingvan911

Good luck guys. I can't understand why they can't take a hint. Chances are anyone driving a "non-standard vehicle" is educated enough about it to know what differences are from standard cars and drive them accordingly.

Yohan

Wreckerman, I live in NY. Do I still qualify? I'm tired of this state and would be happy to just live on a farm in the south. Need a ranch hand??? :sad:

ARYankee

Wow.... What is it with WI? Is all that cheese backing folks up so bad that they can't think straight? I'm glad Arkansas isn't that bad.

Flyingvan911

I don't think it's anything against any certain type of vehicles, mv's, hot rod, etc. I think someone if on a safety crusaide against all non-standard vehicles. Like Ralph Nader with the Corvair. They don't think people are smart enough to be careful. They are 99.9% wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks