• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason the threads were closed were because they always crater into one big BS and crap fest. (Not You Dell.)

Until we have people taking possession of them it still hasn't happened yet (I'm hoping it does) and even Drew's post is just hearsay second hand. THAT is the reason for keeping the threads closed.

Now, if everyone keeps the crap to a minimum we will have a great week next week (for those with deep enough pockets).
Just for the record:

Most of us who are SS Members do indeed have deep pockets. Unfortunately, those very same deep packets are substantially EMPTY most of the time.

The prospect of the upcoming release of these vehicles to the public, even with the off-road restriction, is exciting. Thank you for reopening this thread. We all look forward to FACTUAL reporting.

We look forward to IP/GP coming through with the proclamation: "Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus."

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At some point , the prices will probably equalize with the demand. If I can afford one some day, I will definitely have to have one. If I can't afford one soon, maybe some day I can. Don't know. I would love to have a MK48, or a HEMMT, but so far they are out of my price range ( by a lot!), but I sure am glad SOMEone can save them. Same with the HMMWV, sure would like to have one but if I can't, I'm glad some one can.

As for a title, that is the least of the worries. If the cost is reasonable, I have a 5 ton that won't even know that HMMWV is behind it while I take it to the playground.

KansasBobcat

Well, this is exciting for me, but I need to know two important things still:

What will the demil code be, and will they have a title?
I read demil Q, NO TITLE sold with bill of sale only, hold harmless statemenr and EUC required. Off road use only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrh

I'm fine with off road only but I won't be able to get an off road permit without a title, which limits me to private land only.

I'm also not sure I can even get it into canuckistan without a title, but i really doubt I can.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear the HMMWVs are going to be sold off officially! Perhaps many more thousands of them will follow them into the hands of collectors, or those who would otherwise make good use out of them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, It is definitely a step in the right direction. We need to find out where to send emails in support of the dsecision

I was at red river 2 years ago and there was a huge field with my rough count of 500 Humvee of all flavors. Last year they all went to China in a scrap lot. What a waste. Was there yesterday and now a mixed lot in the field with lots of mrap flavors.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering how many of these have already disappeared, I'm not holding my breath for a decent price on one. Too little, too late. I'm sure there will be some "creative maneuvers" taking place to get these things titled without restrictions. As was mentioned earlier, this thread isn't the place to discuss the methods. Matter of fact, open forums of any time are not the place. Lets be smart folks.

3dAngus

The auctioneer said Bill of Sale only, and that Bill of Sale is available upon request, so you need request it. It's not going to be given to you.
Also, there will be no sales of armoured HMMWVs, or any MRAP version. Not sure if you were talking about MRAP HMMWVs Juan, or other MRAPS, but the armoured vehicles will not be sold to the public.
I'm not driving 1400 miles for a pickup but its nice to see the get this thing rolling, finally.
I expect this will be coming to an area near you soon. Being an off road vehicle only, I don't expect them to allow these to be driven off most military installations, even though running and capable, so buyer beware. There is no notice given of this....yet. You should make plans to tow or haul on a trailer, or, get it shipped commercially.

Terrh

That's (probably) a bummer for me, as it means I won't be able to import it into Canada. Oh well, maybe one day they will title them. Thanks for the info.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A GP manager from the DFW location called me yesterday evening to check if previous system issues had been worked out with my previous G purchases. I asked him what was with the HMMWVs on their site since the demil code hasn't changed and he said it was a test batch of trucks they are going to sell. "GP, DoD, and EPA have been working on an agreement that would possibly change the demil code and sales requirements if things go well but for now will be limited to off-road use..waiver..etc." When said HMMWVs were taken down from a site we've all come to know it was due to an incomplete demil (certain wires/cables didnt get pulled) which is still being agreed upon before public sale.

Another interesting tid-bit he mentioned is GP is inspecting each vehicle based on year of manufacture. Those produced in the 80's may have EPA stamps/plates on their engines and may be eligible for possible on-road use but this is only being discussed at this time. HMMWVs without the stamp/plate will be off-road use only and no plans are currently being made to change that. This is only word of mouth from the GP manager and is subject to change but it does seem to indeed confirm talks are being had.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone is getting more excited about the sales but can we stop posting speculation about can and can't be done with them after the sale.

It would be more fun to guess the final prices because when my wife saw theem she wanted me to buy one...... :-(

I'll start, since I'm a realist by nature I'll say they all go for over $30k. Sounds stupid high to me and I'm hoping I'm way but remember, there is lots of stupid out there and some of them have money.

8 more days.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these threads have been closed to stop speculation.

This one gets opened and everyone is posting speculation.

Good job!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on what's the harm in price speculation. We all know dang well the first one's are going to go way stupid high.
It's called proactive not reactive. At least it's not a bunch of posts about how and where can I get insurance.
They will start the day after the auction .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The auctioneer said Bill of Sale only, and that Bill of Sale is available upon request, so you need request it. It's not going to be given to you.
Also, there will be no sales of armoured HMMWVs, or any MRAP version. Not sure if you were talking about MRAP HMMWVs Juan, or other MRAPS, but the armoured vehicles will not be sold to the public.
I'm not driving 1400 miles for a pickup but its nice to see the get this thing rolling, finally.
I expect this will be coming to an area near you soon. Being an off road vehicle only, I don't expect them to allow these to be driven off most military installations, even though running and capable, so buyer beware. There is no notice given of this....yet. You should make plans to tow or haul on a trailer, or, get it shipped commercially.

The mrap comment was just that the field that previously had the 500 humvees which were a mixed lot with some uparmored is now a field full of camians, buffalos, rg 31,rg 33 and M-Atv. All the humvees were gone!

iatractor

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the total amount of all military jeeps put into service were? Be interested to see what the ratio of jeeps to Humvees is.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the total amount of all military jeeps put into service were? Be interested to see what the ratio of jeeps to Humvees is.
Just WWII Jeeps were a hair less than 648,000. 1940-ish to 1945.

M38 is 45,473.

M38A1 is 101,488 (some for export to other countries)

Not sure how many 151's were built.

According to AMG, about 281,000 HMMWVs have been built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks