• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

KansasBobcat

I really appreciate the moderaters keeping this thread open. This the most exciting happening (for me) in the military vehicle hobby in my experience. Nothing has been this surprising to many in military vehicle group as evidenced by many of the posts here and on other sites. I think it will help rejuvenate the hobby if it actually happens and a large number are sold. Yes, parts will go up and some values of existing vehicles may be affected but life is full of trade-offs. My feeling is the more military vehicles in civilian ownership the better.

Csm Davis

This is going to be good and I am the one Drew is talking about that passed on the information that Chief told me, he said that it was not just rumors and they are actively sorting them for sales to the public.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew - Thank you for starting this thread. Before I read this thread, I was unaware of this latest development in the OD Iron. Thanks also for keeping it open. I'm standing by to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddamsnightmare

December 10th, 2014.

The results of any sales will be interesting, to be sure. I am probably one of the few on here who is not mesmerized by the HMMWV, but so be it. Even the off road variants will keep their owners looking for repair parts, and that may prove to be the fly in the ointment long term.:carnac:

3dAngus

I won't be, and am not, mesmerized by these either, but, after the first 500 or so sell, and the retailers fill up on them, I might be when those prices come down. The first few hundred might be crazy. Anyone remember the M1101/1102 prices when they first came out. Everybody had to have them, and they went for $thousands at auction. Today, I buy them for $500 or less without canvas. The construction crews from the original site by this new contractor seem to be jacking the prices back up on those again, but that will only be temporary. This may replace my intent to purchase a 1931 Ford Model A pickup.

Bring em on...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove the Command Version in Korea. They are wretchedly uncomfortable to drive and hard to manuver in tight spaces. I might buy one to pimp out to the movies but they are expensive to maintain. A lot of the parts are proprietary and will eat your lunch unless someone starts repopping them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Trimmed down the off topic discussions. Please keep on topic of the possible sale of HMMWV's.

This does not include:
Titles
Insurance
Bobbing/6x6
Pricing

I guess we'll see in 7 days.

ClarkeF

DLA Updates Demil code for M998, M1038 A0's and A1's

You can read about it here on the DLA website:

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/sales/Documents/Sales/FAQ.pdf
The relevant text reads:

"Can I purchase a Jeep or Humvee/HMMWV?
[SNIP]
Humvee/HMMWV
In November 2014 DLA Disposition Services began releasing excess military Humvee cargo and troop carriers with model numbers M998, M998A1, M1038 and M1038A1 to all eligible reutilization, transfer and donation (RTD) recipients. These are early model "soft side" unarmored vehicles."

They are available on the website of the new contractor the GLA hired for disposing of "rolling stock".

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Latest on HMMWV sales

Surplus Humvee auctions to public a first for DoD

By Joe Gould, Staff Writer 11:19 a.m. EST December 12, 2014

Bidding for the Humvees started at $10,000 a couple of weeks ago, and pent up demand has yielded bids on nearly all of the vehicles — selling for off-road use only.(Photo: Army)

WASHINGTON — What in the world is the U.S. military going to do with all of its surplus Humvees? For the first time, it will auction off as many as 4,000 of the workhorse vehicles for sale to the public, instead of scrapping them.
Even as controversy churns over the Pentagon's transfer of military equipment to local civilian police departments, the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) sent the first batch to auction through IronPlanet's GovPlanet.com. Since bidding started at $10,000 a couple of weeks ago, pent up demand has yielded bids on nearly all of the Humvees — selling for off-road use only.
"We definitely see lots of interest, and we're certainly excited to have the opportunity to sell these," said Randy Berry, IronPlanet's senior vice president for operations and services. "These items have been scrapped up to now ... so it's a win for the taxpayers and everybody involved here."
Sitting on a dusty lot at Hill Air Force Base in Utah are 25 Humvees built between 1987 and the mid-1990s, some with visible wear and patchy camouflage paint jobs, and whose odometer readings range from 1,361 to 38,334. The public will have the chance to bid on them in a live online action on Dec. 17 and take home a Humvee that once served as a troop or cargo carrier.
DLA will have some 4,000 Humvees considered surplus inspected for defects — and so long as they're not taken or have military characteristics, like armor — they will be offered to IronPlanet. Before the restrictions had been lifted, they might have been scrapped.
"We know that there are thousands going through the screening process now, and some will be claimed by states and local governments, and anything not claimed will go through for public sale, through our marketplace," Berry said. "We expect to have a steady stream of those available over time."
AM General, which has manufactured more than 300,000 Humvees since the Army adopted them in 1985, has made no secret of its opposition to the sale of military Humvees to the general public — which had heretofore been restricted by the government.
The company's website says it sells parts or service information only to its military customers, and not for vehicles that "wind up in civilian hands." AM General "opposes any use of these military vehicles by individuals or entities outside of the military context for which the vehicles are designed."
The surplus sales could be viewed as competition for the company, which manufactured the civilian "Hummer" from 1992 to 2010, and debuted a civilian "Humvee C-Series" kit in 2013 for the base price of $60,000, without a power train.
Restrictions on the M908, M908A1, M1038, and M1038A1 model Humvees — which are out of military use — were lifted by the US State and Commerce departments in the last year or so, clearing the way for DLA. Beyond the military, surplus Humvees had only been available to fire and police departments in the 1033 program, the one facing widespread criticism and congressional scrutiny of late over the militarization of local law enforcement.
"With cooperation from other government offices, DLA Disposition Services can now make some military vehicles into assets instead of having to send them to be scrapped," DLA public affairs chief Michelle McCaskill said in an emailed response to questions about the Humvee auctions.
In July, DLA awarded IronPlanet a two-year contract to manage and sell DLA's rolling stock surplus assets, valued at $50-$70 million annually, with a bid equal to 75.29 percent of revenue share to the DLA. (Liquidity Services, Inc., filed a protest that was since denied.)
IronPlanet has since held three auctions from the stock, which includes cargo trucks, tractor trucks, utility trailers, forklifts, construction equipment. After the holidays, it plans to continue weekly auctions for the items, some including the Humvees, which are at more than 60 military sites around the country.
"You can bid any time prior to the auction itself," Berry said. "We structure ours like events, with all these items selling today, and then a live format, where instead of the auction just concluding anonymously, you get to watch all the items selling."
Winners must pay within three days, sign an agreement indemnifying IronPlanet and arrange for transportation, as the vehicles are not considered roadworthy. IronPlanet helpfully offers detailed inspection reports, with photos, and referrals to transport companies.
"We anticipate there are plenty of interested bidders out there," Berry said, "and plenty of off-road uses for these vehicles."

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe Patracy needs to bring the big yellow banner on every page like we had for political posts about not starting new threads on upcoming sales of HMMWV's , it might save the moderators a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks