• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dennis, Shelby, and improvised fording engineering

gene

Was reading the thread about Dennis in Shelby helping out. First things first. Great photos Dennis! Thanks for being the kind of individual who takes action. [thumbzup]

I apologize if this has been covered already but I gotta ask. With respect to plumbing my own rig for deep water ops do you run 1.5-2.0 psi to all locations that are in need of protection? So far I have heard that the transfer case, axles, air cleaner,and I think transmission all need positive pressure. Am I missing any other areas?

Also, 1)where do you tie in to the existing air system?
2) what type of regulator is best?
3) what type of line should/can be used? (flexible plastic VS metal)
4) crank case breather routed to where?
5) Plug in bell housing should be removed? Where is that?

Sorry about the long list of simple questions. If there is a helpful TM that will also shed light which one is it? Thanks again.

Gene

FreightTrain

Banned
well,in the military fording kit the only thing pressurized is the Bell housing.The air cleaner gets a tube that attachs to the stack and is level with the stack.The Slobber tube gets a hose that runs beside the stack and intake snorkle to under the mushroom,the air compressor gets a hose that run over teh engine and connects to the nipple on the air cleaner can back side.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original batteries have sealing vents, take a look at one and you'll see, good to about 4 to 5 feet of water above the top of the batteries.
Fuel tank is vented along with the MC and Airpak to the crankcase breather tube.
The transmission is pressurized via the bell housing. It has a vent also and under water it releases air since the pressure inside is slightly higher. Make sure the boot around the shift lever is tight or you won't have much pressure within to counter the water pressure.
Images show deuce fording about 4 ft of water.

Attachments

readyman

gene,
I was using the search function here for finding the details of M35 fording mods but couldn't come up with them. Are the 'detail' instructions under some other title name?
Getting a copy/transcription of the fording kit instructions would be a good start. We could adapt from there.
Look's like Dennis coulda used a forward looking sonar going down main street. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your -10 manual in the back. It shows aux kits for the deuce and the fording kit is one of them. Bjorn wrote a detailer 2 part article in MVM on fording. Get or share a copy of this with a friend. It shows what needs to be done at specific depths.

Lax

Where can we get a copy of that MVM article?? There seems to be a lot of interest in the fording capabilities and even more questions. Thanks for anyone's help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lax, shakey ground when it comes to posting it here. Might see about borrowing a copy of the mag. They don't sell back issues. Next time John AG posts, maybe we can get him to link the articles on the MVM site.

Lax

Kenny,
I understand. I am really trying to get my truck set up with a fording kit (home made) but trying to get quality info is tough! I have PMed Craintruck but he never got back to me. He most likely gets a lot of them so I understand.

If you ever run across any directions with a parts list I'd be much obliged. I figure I should be able to get most of the stuff right at Lowe's or Home Depot but I am only guessing. The next step is knowing where to hook everything up to and from... Thanks again!

gene

Thanks all for the info. Ditto Lax. A part list would be great. Gonna search some more and IF I get some more good info I will be sure and post.

FreightTrain

Banned
The kit has or calls for a grease that goes on the vents and the cable ends to waterproof them.Atleast my kit showed it was included but wasn't in the boxes when I got them.The actual "kit is pretty easy to build.Just need a large hose the size of the intake shroom inlet(looks like tanker hose),a smaller hose the size of the slobber tube,and a even smaller hose the size of the nipple on teh back side of the filter can and the size of the inlet to the Air compressor.Then some line and a low pressure regulator(1-2PSI) to plumb into a air line that is always hot and the fitting on top of the bell housing with a swtich in between(My kit came with an air shift switch to turn on the bell housing air).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lax said:
...... I have PMed Craintruck but he never got back to me. He most likely gets a lot of them so I understand. ....
Hmmm.... I consider myself pretty good at responding to PMs. I'm sure you got an answer from me, perhaps I needed more specific questions and responded in that fashion. Must have been a while back, correct?

I can not respond to each question with an article long answer. Also some things are just common sense and is available in the TMs.
The pressurized axle housing project of mine was done with the bed removed for easy access.
Lines along the frame were copper with standard brass fittings. The connections to the axles were done with flexible rubber (fuel line) hoses (today I would use "push-on" type fitings when possible).

A selector valve was placed high on the firewall to select either pressurized air or atmospheric pressure for the lines....and so on..once you start in on the project each solution will come to you, if not please be specific about the questions so that they can be answered without writing an article.
Sorry if I was not responsive.

Lax

Craintruck,
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, you most likely get a bunch of requests and don't have time for all of them. I was careful about what I wrote because I did not want to offend you or anyone else. I hope I did not.

Maybe my PM never got to you. There is a good chance of that. I sent it earlier this week. I'll see if I can resend it. Thanks for all your help on this topic. There are a lot of guys interested in it. Take care.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, never received it. Go ahead and repeat your question(s), please.

Incidentally, I'm not much for BS-ing, as those of you who know me will agree. :)
The articles I have written for MVM take a long time, most of them a year or more to complete....

Lax

Cranetruck,
No problem at all. I never doubted you like I said. i certinly do not want anyone to think you did not answer me on perpose. As soon as I saw your last reply i cheked my "sent" file for my PM and my note is not there so it was never even sent it looks like. :oops: I kind of figured something like happened.

I'll try another PM this morning and see how it goes. Thanks!

Lax

Cranetruck,
I have tried a number of times to send you a PM. It does not look like they are getting through. Can you think of another way to contact you? This is crazy! Thank you.