• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dennis, Shelby, and improvised fording engineering

gene

Thanks Bjorn for the post. Have not started my fording project yet but your last post will give me a starting point. From there I will let on the job experience be my guide.

Gene

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,the way the factory kit is(I have one) is.....

2 brackets bolt to the exaust that hold 2 rubber hoses.One larger hose that looks like a hose from a tanker truck replaces the mushroom on the passenger fender and run up to dead level with the top of the stack.A new mushroom slips into this hose.Then a smaller hose hooks to the slobber tube and runs under the fender and up between the air intake and exhaust pipe.It goes up into the mushroom.No filter factory.If you have enough oil comming out of this pipe to cause a run away your engine has massive problems already or your truck is upside down!.Next,there is a small hose running from the nipple on the air compressor to the nipple on the filter can.Then there is a air line that connect somewhere under the dash(I think you T into the service line that runs over to the passenger side).This runs to a regulator and a air switch(same type as the air shift switch) then down to the top of the bell housing.The check valve is between the tanks so that the bellhousing air doesn't drain both tanks in case of a Compressor failure,Engine failure,or a broken belt.Leaves you with one tank of air for brakes.Pretty easy to build your own system.Personally,I wouldn't use a factory setup.You can build a stronger setup yourself.The intake hose on mine has already started to crack and is only 5 years old(well,more like 10 but it was still wrapped and in a crate when I got it.)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
.....It goes up into the mushroom.No filter factory.If you have enough oil comming out of this pipe to cause a run away your engine has massive problems already or your truck is upside down!....
Agreed....the reason for the filter is to be able to leave it in permanently, a hose will collect oil after a period of time.

When everything is up and running on my deuce, it can be fording ready to 5 ft within 1 minute.

Compare XM757: Crankcase fumes dumped into the exhaust.

gene

Bjorn, insofar as the setup of the oil filter for the crankcase breather hose am I correct in surmising that the hose feeds into a verticle oil filter set up with a drain stopcock at the bottom for periodic removal. Could you post a pic on this thread of your setup?

Gene

readyman

gene,

I'm deepwater plumbing the deuce now. You may want to consider a couple off the shelf compressed air manifolds, one for the connections to the air filter canister the other for under the dash. I'm using the 'quick-connect' DOT connectors and tubing, got everything from McMaster-Carr. I added cheapo shut off valves to all the air pressure outputs in case underwater debris tear off the hose from the axle. I can shut down an open air line so I don't lose all my compressed air.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

gene

Thanks Readyman/Bjorn. I know us new guys seem to have an unending list of simple questions but have patience. We appreciate the help and hope some day to pass on the torch of knowledge when we may.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks