Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Meet Mr Rusty

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    Short term the one wire? Or short term using the flat 4 wires and splicing an eye on the one end? Short of tearing the harness out? Can I just eliminate the orange wires and use the flat 4?
    Short term on the single wire and do what we discussed on the phone.
    1991 M925A2
    1986 M1008
    1986 M1009 USN
    1985 M1010
    M101A2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to antennaclimber For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,282 Times in 4,614 Posts

I think individual wires terminated at each end would be a great improvement.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Recovry4x4 For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,350 Times in 3,286 Posts

I just broke for lunch. I have been out in the barn working on Mr. Rusty. The horror is unreal. I can do it is all I keep saying. So far so good. A bite to eat and back at it. I will post pictures after 5 when I finish for the day. I don't think finish the job but finish for the day. I made some awful discoveries. Nothing I can't fix. But awful none the less. Have a great day. LED work lamps are the best. I am inside now. No working in the dirt. Not sure I will know how to act. Full face shield all day for rust protection. I love the smell of Kroil in my face.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks

oneDSCF4075.jpgDSCF4068.jpgDSCF4069.jpgDSCF4070.jpgDSCF4071.jpgDSCF4072.jpgDSCF4073.jpg What is the general consensus on oil cooler lines? Which ones do you purchase made up and put on? I mean with the engine still in the truck and not have to reform the piping to fit. I picked up a set of NAPA today. They do not even start on the fitting in the block. I removed a fitting from another engine and could not get the threads to start. I thought the bends looked about perfect. I then walked up front on the left side and noticed the hub sticking out. That's NOT good. Picture 4 of 7 was what I first seen. I had to slide hammer the L/O off. NOT good. The hub looked like it was pieced together. It had a 1/4 turn inside with the bronze base. I had it apart 2 years ago and don't remember that. I would remember that. He said he had trouble last year with the L/O's. I think a complete set of new Warn 1/4 turns are in line. Or maybe I just make a good set out of the parts I have. I like the new 1/4 turn idea best. I could not get the engine to leak oil yesterday. Today I took it for a ride and I smelled the oil on the exhaust pipe. I drove to NAPA and changed the belts in the parking lot. They are the same belt numbers but left me with a lot of adjustment. I also put solid pulleys on these alternators. The underside is very scary. The trans cooler lines have compression fittings and the dipstick tube has a compression fitting on it. The oil pan was rusted thru on this truck a few years back. I think it is ready to rust thru again. Well Monday I will see if I can get a set of Mainland China A C Delco oil cooler lines. They fit horrible on Easter find. I feared this. But it is a simple task. Very dirty and rusty but it can be done. Anyone know if you can purchase the transmission cooler lines? A direct fit. I could form a set. But That would out weigh the cost of some made up. No SS. That would be overkill. Where would I stop? Nothing else in SS. Have a great day. I raked and blew my quota of leaves today and also built 3 wood racks. So the day was not a total waste.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks

I have been slacking. Digging sludge/mud out of the dry dams at the plant. Not light hearted work. I purchased a set of Dorman oil cooler lines at Autozone. They were available in 1 day and I wanted to give them a try again. I have a friend that talked me into giving them a try. What do I have to loose? I will know in a few minutes if the fit or not. I am not sure how the NAPA line stripped out. I must have a better grip then most guys. If I stripped it by hand. Not worth fighting about. I will report back when I get to installing the line. Have a Great DAY.

Thanks

DSCF4076.jpgDSCF4077.jpgDSCF4083.jpgThese are the pair of Dorman oil cooler lines I purchased at Autozone. Less the $70. out the door. I give this set of oil cooler lines an A+ for fit and ease of installation. I installed a lot of these lines. And the last set I tried to install were NAPA branded. No fit and the outlet side was stripped or I stripped it with my bare hands. I had these completely installed and the truck running in a hour or less. I even have the clip in place on the rear of the exhaust manifold. I threaded a bolt from the back side of the bracket and then nutted the clamp to the bracket. Worked well and is secure and clear of all the shift and steering linkage. Unlike the A C Delco Mainland China oil cooler lines. DSCF4081.jpgDSCF4078.jpgDSCF4082.jpgDSCF4080.jpgDSCF4079.jpgI added 2 metal P clips to the inner fender. They are a better fit because of the plow controls. Thank you for looking. I ran it a while no leaks. I may have done something right. But in all seriousness. The Dorman's get my vote over all other brands that I recently tried. Have a Great Day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

german m1008 (11-15-2017)

Thanks

After I had supper I went down to the shop and try and get some bonus points. I looked around and found a set of OEM lockouts that I had stored in a crate of lock out parts. I removed them from the box. They were all clean and ready to go into service. So I installed the OEM lock out and that job is complete. So I am now done for the day. I am going to make new glow plug wiring harnesses as mentioned last week. I have some 8 gauge and 14 gauge wire. That is what I need to complete this project. I will report back. I think a few more wires are burnt in the OEM glow plug harness. Tired of playing with it. It still starts a bit hard with new glow plugs.

Thanks

Mr. Rusty is out of the garage. Now it wants to wash the windshield every time the wipers are on. Don't know. It was out of fluid and I filled it so it may have been doing it all along. I will have to look at that issue tomorrow. Sounds simple enough.

Thanks

DSCF4099.jpgDSCF4100.jpgDSCF4101.jpgDSCF4102.jpgDSCF4103.jpgDSCF4104.jpgDSCF4105.jpgMr. Rusty has passed the check up. I added the fender rubbers to the inner fenders. I bolted them in place. I replaced the batteries with a pair of 950 CCA Exide group 31 batteries. I replaced the washer switch on the wiper motor and solved the endless wash cycle. When I test drove it for the day it ran and shifted fine but would shutter and stall every now and then like it was idling to slow. I looked over the fuel system and changed the fuel filter. It ran about the same and still did the occasional shutter and stall. I pulled the air cleaner and looked at the right side of the injection pump. It was dry and the lever was sticky. I blew that all out and sprayed kroil oil on everything and blew it all off again. I lubed everything with some lubriplate oil and an oil can. I took it for a ride and it worked perfect. I think the cam and the lever were sticking and making the pump operate incorrectly. It fixed the issue. I am not a technical man. I am a simple man and knew it was a simple issue. Mr. Rusty will be returning to active plowing duty at the end of the week or when ever the first snow storm hits.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (11-20-2017)

Thanks

Guess who just got back today.
    That Rusty truck that had been away.
    Hadn't changed that much.
    But I still think that chassis is Rusty.
    Owners was asking if I was available for work
    What I thought and if any leaks could be found.
    I told him I up for the challenge and driving this old man crazy.
    Mr Rusty's back in town.
    You know that truck that used to rust a lot.
    Every night I would be at the barn grinding and sanding what was left.
    When I say rusty I mean he was corroded.
    I mean she was thin at places.
    And that time over at the barn.
    When them transmission lines broke.
    The fluid flew and shot about the place.
    If you don't want to fix them right. Forget it.

Mr Rusty is back in town. Oil leaks and other small repairable issues to take care of. More later. Just a bit or humor. If you don't like it. Forget it. Have a Great Day.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

dougco1 (05-02-2019), firefox (05-01-2019), fitz (05-01-2019), mobileauto2000 (05-01-2019), Tracer (05-01-2019)

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast