• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1,680 mile HEMTT recovery

I see you have oil pans listed. You might want to also pick up a kiddy pool to catch fluids into... Just kidding but maybe not from watching my buddy drain his HEMTT.

Some empty 5 gallon buckets to start with would be good.

Have you identified where you are going to recycle the spent fluids?

Lyle

p.s. Sorry for feeding the OCD.

JDToumanian

I see you have oil pans listed. You might want to also pick up a kiddy pool to catch fluids into... Just kidding but maybe not from watching my buddy drain his HEMTT.

Some empty 5 gallon buckets to start with would be good.

Have you identified where you are going to recycle the spent fluids?

Lyle

p.s. Sorry for feeding the OCD.
I plan to put the spent fluids into the empty containers after I fill the engine and transmission, and bring it all back with me... Possibly burn some of it on the trip home too, like the transmission oil if it's clean, but some clean new buckets with lids is an excellent idea.

Jon

agazza2

Did you make a list of SS members Ph#s along the way that might be able to provide assistance? I will send a PM with my info. If you are close by and even need someone to pick up a part at a local known truck place let us know. I will send a pm with my info.

dk8019

The oil comes out of HEMTT like a fire hose. Two 5 gallon buckets at a minimum to drain her on the engine side, nearly the same on the transmission. Both fluids are the same coming from the military, so if you are burning one, you can burn the other!

JDToumanian

The oil comes out of HEMTT like a fire hose. Two 5 gallon buckets at a minimum to drain her on the engine side, nearly the same on the transmission. Both fluids are the same coming from the military, so if you are burning one, you can burn the other!
The oil drains are high up there too, aren't they... Tough to do fluid changes on a windy day I bet. I got two buckets with lids today, but I did have two 6-gallon oil drain pans already... I'll probably use both, maybe leave some of the oil in the buckets rather than funnel it back into the jugs.

I knew the oil was the same in both the engine and transmission (inappropriate for either one! aua) but I figured the transmission oil might come out clean, and the engine oil will be black. I know some guys do it, but I'm not putting all that soot and sludge into my fuel tank.

Did you make a list of SS members Ph#s along the way that might be able to provide assistance? I will send a PM with my info. If you are close by and even need someone to pick up a part at a local known truck place let us know. I will send a pm with my info.
I've kept all the PMs, and we'll have internet access, so I should be able to make contact if necessary... Thanks guys!

Jon

dk8019

Excellent point about the engine oil, I never did burn that in my Deuce without filtering. The oil in mine was very clean, I suppose it had just been done before turning it in. Hopefully they didn't damage it too much running it on 15-40!

JDToumanian

We just crossed the New Mexico border, and we're not tired yet... I think we'll make it 2/3 of the way tonight. That way we'll arrive in LA tomorrow afternoon, maybe check out the truck before it gets dark, and get plenty of rest before our Tuesday morning pickup appointment.

JDToumanian

Thanks guys! We're almost to San Antonio, about 3/4 of the way and speeding along at 80+ mph... Legally! Thanks Texas, you're the best!

image.jpg

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! We're almost to San Antonio, about 3/4 of the way and speeding along at 80+ mph... Legally! Thanks Texas, you're the best!
Enjoy it on the way there because you aren't doing that in the HEMTT on the way back. Also because it drops back to 75 around Kerrville. Safe travels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks