• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the rear, driver tire... HEAVILLY warn on the inside compared to even wear on all other tires. Have not yet had time to look into what caused it, but I'm open to ideas if people have had this issue before. The truck has 40k miles on it, while armored.
Camber?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I designed a dome light bracket which can be used in the front and rear cab of the M1151A1. I used SendCutSend.com (see link below) to create the design. From order submission to receipt took about a week.

I finished a dry fit install of the front bracket (will probably reverse the light's orientation so that the wiring can be run down the center windshield post). Will disassemble after installing the wiring to prime and paint. The useless rear view mirror will also need to be relocated.

tempImagejChVP9.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1097A1 helmet top I picked up a couple weeks ago had the front half shafts removed, so I knocked the hub ends off of a couple 7K shafts and installed them to seal the hubs.
I had picked up the missing access plugs from HPG along with a bunch of small parts to install the A/C on the DuraVee.
I also picked up 96 new lug nuts, 32 for the A1, 32 for the R1 I am going to pick up next week (18 hours from payment to being released!!) and 32 for stock.
All but one of the lug nuts were ruined on the A1, most were grossly over torqued,, I just replace all the lug nuts on every HMMWV I deal with, I got to cuss the moron who over torqued the lug nuts as I fought each one out with a 4way, the only good thing was some (5) of the nuts were missing.

I also installed the missing steering components, drag link, idler arm and tie rods from what I removed from the DuraVee during its upgrade so now I can pull it off the trailer and move it around easy enough.

Attachments

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1097A1 helmet top I picked up a couple weeks ago had the front half shafts removed, so I knocked the hub ends off of a couple 7K shafts and installed them to seal the hubs.
I had picked up the missing access plugs from HPG along with a bunch of small parts to install the A/C on the DuraVee.
I also picked up 96 new lug nuts, 32 for the A1, 32 for the R1 I am going to pick up next week (18 hours from payment to being released!!) and 32 for stock.
All but one of the lug nuts were ruined on the A1, most were grossly over torqued,, I just replace all the lug nuts on every HMMWV I deal with, I got to cuss the moron who over torqued the lug nuts as I fought each one out with a 4way, the only good thing was some (5) of the nuts were missing.

I also installed the missing steering components, drag link, idler arm and tie rods from what I removed from the DuraVee during its upgrade so now I can pull it off the trailer and move it around easy enough.
Most of the vehicles picked now (if not premium price paid) are missing half shafts and the likes. Part of the issue.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the vehicles picked now (if not premium price paid) are missing half shafts and the likes. Part of the issue.
This one came from the Harris Co. Sheriff's Dept, they stripped every part they thought they would ever use, virtually everything electric but the IP and cut every wire doing it, they did a thorough job, but I knew that so it is what it is. :)

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This one came from the Harris Co. Sheriff's Dept, they stripped every part they thought they would ever use, virtually everything electric but the IP and cut every wire doing it, they did a thorough job, but I knew that so it is what it is. :)
I guess we can say it is worse than any of the big known bases where it is just a crap shot.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess we can say it is worse than any of the big known bases where it is just a crap shot.
I'm not sure where all these junky trucks are coming from that they are selling in TX at this time, one I bought came as stated above, it was sold at a GP yard, they never did anything to it, no sign of any civilian mods, radios etc, obviously just sat probably for decades, there are quite a few of the R1s being sold and just a few A2s,
Many are missing radiators, looks like possibly they were stolen by the way they were removed, lots of copper there!, I guess the Army never had anything cool like the 1100 series or maybe they will eventually come when they run out of junk.
EDIT, I assume many of these are coming out of Red River Depot

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost a long day.
I drove up to Springtown this morning to pick up this junker.
I got there with 9 minutes to spare (7:51AM)
Total for the day was 755 miles
Total fuel 73.2gal

I got the chance to spend almost 2 hrs visiting with a guy I went to collage with almost 50 years ago, lives near Hillsboro, I had not seen him for about 10 years.

Made one fuel stop, did not need to but found one station selling diesel for 3.93 a gal instead of the 4.15+ that everyone else was.
I did make several "comfort" stops and to cinch up the chains

Spent allot of time dodging road Gattors, and dealing with a ton of idiots that have no idea how to drive but somehow are allowed to, but still got home in time for dinner (5:30)
This is an odd duck, the frame and suspension from the center of the truck forward has moderate amount of corrosion for a TX truck, but from the center back it is HEAVILY corroded, looks like they backed it into salt water and left it a while.

No matter it has what I need, the ONLY thing missing is the hood, everything else is intact so I have all the electrics and wiring harnesses for the M1097A1 that Harris County butchered, (but for the hood but I have one of those) a running GEP NA engine and a nice spare tire mount that looked like it could have possibly be bent in the pictures but is not., and of course a rear air lift bumper that is so common today but in the past I paid dearly for a couple of them.
And all the hardware to outfit the A1 as a two door after I pull the helmet top for the DuraVee, the top actually looks to be in decent shape, at least it did not fly apart on the 85MPH section of the toll road I was on. :ROFLMAO:

In the pictures it actually actually looks like the rear of the frame has holes corroded through it, but I have not crawled under it to see but I really don't care, as far as I am concerned the suspension, frame and body are scrap.
It looked by the pictures that the accident had broken the rear tie rod or its mount but they look intact so I am not sure what "GAVE" to allow that extreme rear toe out, I was hoping to get it straight enough to test drive it before knocking it in the head but that seems to be in doubt at this time o_O :giggle::cry:
It actually looks like something ran into it rather than it having an accident...:love:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mystery solved, they broke the steering arm, I managed to get all the broken and bent bolts out so I may get to go on that little jog after all.
Check out that corrosion!
NOTE, all I had was an A2 (CTIS) steering arm, evidently there are dimensional differences as the tire is still way out of align, and it looks different, unfortunately I did not compare them side by side when I had the chance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a good look at the two different sides and the A2 steering arm definitely has different geometry so if you put the A2 drag link, tie rods etc. on your Basic or A1 (which I did on the DuraVee) and do not change the steering arms you are not getting the A2 steering geometry.
EDIT they certainly started with a piece of junk when that R1 went through RECAP, there are at least 6 patches in the floors, I did notice it has a Nartron Smart Start box, this was a good parts truck.

Last edited:

tgejesse

I pulled all the armor and brackets that the military left off my truck. I do not recommend removing the armor behind the blower. You literally have to take the entire unit out, back out the wire harness, remove the AC line including the aluminum block, take out the fording snorkel and air filter box to get to the bracket screws… and even drill a few rivets to drop the plate straight down.
Before y’all call me dumb for removing it, my AC/blower is messed up. Looks like condensers are shot too. This truck defiantly swam in the ocean!

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is displaying a spirit of 1776 flag. It is beautiful.
Nice, something new learned.. thx!
No one here compares European flags to Hawaiian shirts.
I did not imply that either.
Here it is sometimes common to wear Hawaiian shirts on Fridays. Depending on the company and the degree of mental relaxation ;-) And this is sometimes the Hawaii shirts Friday. And so I assumed there would be just this random falg day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks