• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past week finally got around to going through all the geared hubs. I got three of them disassembled. Replaced the input and output seals and checked backlash on them. So far so good, just got one left to do and should get to it Sunday. Having the seal drivers and geared socket is nice. Found the idler arm and pitman had play and a few lower Ball joints bad, so got them on order. My interstate MTX-34 agm’s came in, and a new slave port mount box, so I got them installed too. The batteries fit nicely there just a little different spec’d size group, I put two pieces of high density foam on the front and back and since these are a little shorter I had to add some spacers aka deck boards to allow the hold down bracket to clamp down correctly, but there tucked in snug now. It’s all moving along nicely after the slow down from rebuilding the engine and getting it back in and running. I’m just glad it isn’t a lawn ornament anymore, but i will say it was a beautiful one while it was lol

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the R1 (parts truck) in the bay this weekend, did all the basic maint. yesterday, drained and refilled all the hubs and diffs, drained the water/fuel out of the fuel tank, took a shortcut on the fuel, I put an inline filter between the filter housing and the IP, that way I could see the fuel and still protect the IP, I am going to knock this thing in the head anyway,
Replaced the broken steering arm on the left rear side.
Bypassed servicing the 3L80 as the fluid looked fine and you can't give the things away.
Remounted the PS pump and connected lines and installed a missing hose.
I have matched belt sets but there was one belt that had not been cut, it will hopefully do for the short run ahead.
I found the rear diff. and transfer case had been drained so that is an example why you check everything!
She fired right up and then stumbled a little as expected but that is a really nice running GEP NA engine, took it out and did a quick circle in the pasture, then brought it back in and changed the engine oil and filter, which also looked good to begin with.
The alt, smart start, turn signal switch, horn, ww, blower motor, ps, brake boaster all seem fine, the light switch was frozen so I stuck a spare in to test.
Today I started pulling some of the accessories off, the tire mount, one of these NOS went on GP this week for the same as I paid for this entire truck, crazy..
Pam helped remove the troop seats, the bolts were badly corroded and after the first of the 1/4" bolts we found that giving her the big impact and simply having her tighten the bolts till they snapped while I backed them up underneath was MUCH easier!!
So one day this week I will give her a short run up the highway and back.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s alive!!! And just in time for Halloween.

She started right up after injector lines were purged. Batteries were half dead. Made no difference.

Thanks again to amazing support from RWH and forum members. Special thanks to Hummer H1 for his help! Eric kicks ass.

Alternator and regulator work!!!

Even found buried treasure.

I’ll post videos to FaceTime later this week.

The oil cooler leaks, gonna replace the stack. Radiator will get a 4-core rebuild.

TIMG_1068.jpegIMG_1061.jpegIMG_1057.jpeg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished sewing a new soft slant back to replace my old one made out of ballistic nylon. Ballistic is NOT a good fabric for large items like this bc it changes size greatly due to heat/cold, rain and sunlight. Can be very tricky to get on and off. And it didn't weather very well overall.
This MilSpec fabric is genuine U.S. Military grade PVC vinyl and Made In American Berry Act compliant. This is the first soft slant back I've sewn in almost 4 years. I am glad to be getting back to it.
I'll post more in my old thread about this with more details.
BDGR
MilSpec HMV SSB Corner Closed.jpg
MilSpec HMV SSB Corner Open.jpg

HUMMER H1

The orange peel finish is on purpose,
after initial body work and primer completed, I prayed EverCoat polyester primer at low pressure to achieve that looks,

I wanted 60% texture with high gloss, and it was ✅✅.
The color is from 2023 Nissan, BAJA STORM22270B8B-00D6-4AA5-AA92-D3F010EFC4FA.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks good, I like the color, it’s identical to Factory H1 color “Mesa Dusk”

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Steve, I think my eyes are lying to me, or I have forgotten how to read. Are you complementing a non-military non-standard HMMWV military paint job?! LOL

I actually called Eric to compliment his work. I agree with you. Looks awesome!

HUMMER H1

Thank you Steve 😁

Mesa Dusk was my favorite color when it was available on H1,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks