• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

CapePrep

Yep, been an owner for all of 9 days and the Smart Start box has the bed.......There goes $1000 that I wasn't planning on spending.. Or that I wanted to put into the spare tire carrier! Truck has run perfectly for those 9 days. Starting no problem in 20degree weather. Was out diagnosing an oil pressure sending unit issue, go to start it and "wait" light just blinks momentarily than nothing! I know what I have to do. I thought getting rid of my 32' boat was going to free up some money and time. My Bad...
Attaching a few pictures for folks that are visual. Don't really know what happened here but I know what overheating and melting looks like! FYI, all GP test out at 1.7 OHMS

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, been an owner for all of 9 days and the Smart Start box has the bed.......There goes $1000 that I wasn't planning on spending.. Or that I wanted to put into the spare tire carrier! Truck has run perfectly for those 9 days. Starting no problem in 20degree weather. Was out diagnosing an oil pressure sending unit issue, go to start it and "wait" light just blinks momentarily than nothing! I know what I have to do. I thought getting rid of my 32' boat was going to free up some money and time. My Bad...
Everything you ever want to know about rebuilding your PCB EESS to bulletproof.

EDIT- The SSI solid state box sucks. And it is almost impossible to trace the failure points. Just rebuild or replace. IMHO

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason TACOM continued to put out contracts for different PCB’s and EESS’s was because they couldn’t keep the failure rates down to
an acceptable level, it wasn’t till the S3 development that they finally developed a box with an acceptable level of MTF.
The box you have was of limited release, it was one of two “single component“ boxes developed, these single component boxes, “SSI and KDS green label” were quite problematic. Its still common to get surplus trucks that have the very first box made “PCB” all the way up to a new S3, and every other type box in between.

Attaching a few pictures for folks that are visual. Don't really know what happened here but I know what overheating and melting looks like! FYI, all GP test out at 1.7 OHMS
That board doesn't look to be burned all that bad I wonder if you could just rebuild it for a couple bucks.

cdohner44mag

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pictures to add but stoked to announce I got my 1123 inspected and registered yesterday! Although it seemed every person I had to deal with had no clue what to do with a MV it went relatively easy. Best 2 1/2 hrs I've ever spent at the DMV.

Autonomy_Lost

Installed horse stall mats from tractor supply. I opted to remove all of the plywood, including underneath the rear AC unit. Thats when I realized that unit has "feet" all around it and there are corresponding holes in the plywood. There are also refrigerant tubes that go straight down through the floor.

I laid the old plywood on the rubber mats to use as a template, and drilled holes to match.

I also made floor mats with the remaining cutoffs from doing the tunnel.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

20240204_125357.jpg

20240204_125422.jpg

20240204_125455.jpg

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my last trip a couple of weeks ago, one of the AC hoses burned out with the exhaust and blew a hole. I took advantage of it to relocate the Red Dot AC condenser that was taking all my bed space. I am making all the lines new as the original ones are all cracked.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a broken rhino tire carrier from beltfed, now the fun part of fixing it!

View attachment 916128
He does a pretty good job of getting difficult to ship stuff to you in one piece, he shipped me a set of supplemental armor doors that came in without any more scratches than they already had! looks like Fastenal!!

Gastrap

Got a broken rhino tire carrier from beltfed, now the fun part of fixing it!
I got my rhino from him a few weeks ago and it was an easy fix. Installed it recently and just finished aligning the rear end to get rid of the extreme camber. It's amazing how much smoother the truck rides with a couple hundred pounds hanging out behind the bumper!

Autonomy_Lost

I got my rhino from him a few weeks ago and it was an easy fix. Installed it recently and just finished aligning the rear end to get rid of the extreme camber. It's amazing how much smoother the truck rides with a couple hundred pounds hanging out behind the bumper!
Good to know, I was actually wondering about that. I just finished installing almost 200 pounds of rubber mats, plus the turret parts and now the rear tire carrier. I figure every pound will help the ride quality!

Gastrap

Good to know, I was actually wondering about that. I just finished installing almost 200 pounds of rubber mats, plus the turret parts and now the rear tire carrier. I figure every pound will help the ride quality!
Definitely! My plain old 1097R1 with a soft top didn't ride bad with 30 PSI TP in the MT's, but the rear seat backs would bang around even on rough pavement before I put the rhino on. Pretty smooth now and way better on gravel washboards.

CapePrep

Really looking for a Rhino that is not exorbitant in price. Happy to do some repairs. Not sure who "Austin" is. Can anyone provide contact info since he seems to be the go to person. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks