• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Can you install an intermittent wiper motor

fal_shooter

I put a tilt steering column in my CUCV. The column has all the multi wiper speed settings. The original wipers are slow and the fluid doesn't flow in my CUCV so I would like to upgrade to more modern multi speed wipers. I am not a mechanic so can anyone tell me what I need to do to modernize my windshield wipers? I would like as much detail as possible including replacement part numbers etc so I will know what to buy. If I have a good set of instructions and all the parts I can find someone to put it in for me. I am assuming I will need to replace the washer motor and the washer pump at the same time. I love this old pickup. I am 70 year old and I want to make sure everything is working right before I die so I can leave it to one of my kids without them cussing me out for leaving it to them.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

cpf240

I have not done this, but some on here have, usually when swapping to a tilt steering column. My understanding is that you need the intermittent wiper column switch and the module that mounts on the lower portion of the column, then the existing wiper harness plugs into this module. The wiper motor itself is the same.

As for the washer function, most would suggest going with the later style where the washer pump is in the washer fluid tank, and not in the wiper motor. Of course, you can get rebuild kits for the existing washer pump, but they still aren't that great.

I believe someone here has a page on their own site that chronicles some of this stuff, perhaps they will chime in.

cucvrus

What did you have to pay for the tilt column?
My fix for the CUCV wiper motor and washer is to spend $50. at Autozone and replace the worn out wiper motor with a fresh rebuilt one. That is warranted for life and is a direct fit. You must get a wiper motor for a 1984 as the 1985 had the wiper washer motor in the reservoir tank. The original one works fine if you clean all the hoses and replace the entire wiper motor with a rebuilt one.

fal_shooter

Thank you for the replies. I can't answer some of the questions since I am not a mechanic. I had someone else put it in. They said they have extra plugs on the column but no place to plug it into the motor. I don't know. I can only guess that the plugs are on the column since it came out of a vehicle that had a multi speed washer. I would be happy to buy the new motor if it has all of the plugs it needs to make it work. I probably need a new motor anyway. I am still hoping someone can take my hand and walk me though this procedure. If someone says buy these parts I will buy them but I will also need to know what to do with them. I also like the idea of a separate washer motor.

joshuak

I can't answer some of the questions since I am not a mechanic. I had someone else put it in. They said they have extra plugs on the column but no place to plug it into the motor. I don't know. I can only guess that the plugs are on the column since it came out of a vehicle that had a multi speed washer. I would be happy to buy the new motor if it has all of the plugs it needs to make it work.
No need to plug anything new to the motor. The connector from the column plugs into the module shown above, that module should then connect directly to your existing cab wiring harness. This connection should be visible above your pedals under the dash, it may require some contorting on your behalf, but may be a fun activity.

I can take pictures if you think that would help or video of the wiper and pump output...

I also like the idea of a separate washer motor.
Your truck so do as you please, but I would give the pump I linked above a shot, on account of it being a direct replacement and should do what you expect from it.

Here is some reading material, no step by step instructions, but others sharing positive reinforcement. :beer:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?43748-tilt-wheel-in-cucv

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137210-Intermittent-wiper-upgrade

fal_shooter

If you don't mind I could use pictures. My body is too broken to do much contorting. I will need someone younger to do any installation. I didn't know about any module under the dash. When I bought the steering column it didn't come with any extra modules so I'm guessing, based on what you said, I just need to install a different module. The module I have now is original to the M1008. The wiper motor works on two speeds even with the intermittent switch on the column so I'm guessing it's plugged into whatever module I have under the dash. Do you have a part number for the module I need?

I will get the Cardone motor you recommended. I didn't think the washer motor thing through. For some reason I was thinking it was a different issue. One of the post I read recommended doing that so I just went with it. Now I'm back on track thanks to you.

So to summarize what I think I know at this point. I need to get the washer motor you recommended and a new intermittent module (part number to be determined). The plugs from my existing steering column should just plug into the module and I'm good to go. Could it be that simple? Please include some pictures and a part number for the module. I will get it installed and report the results back on this post. I think we have an opportunity with this post to help others that are fighting the same issue.

When asked about my mechanical skill level I always tell people I can't turn a wrench but I'm great at flipping open a wallet.

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply.

bwilson7990

You sir (fal_shooter) are a joy to this forum. Nothing like a wise senior member of society still making moves. Sometimes I just get on here to read and it amazes me every time how helpful and kind people on here are in comparison to other forums that I have been apart of. I'll be following this thread as I hope to accomplish this same modification on my 86 M1008. Some good info already... I'll do some research too and see if I can find that part number.

bwilson7990

We can't post links for auctions on here but I found this control module on eBay for ~$40. Do a search for "73-87 Chevy Truck Wiper Delay Module Intermittent Wiper Control Box 1984-91 1987" on google or eBay and you will find it.

joshuak

Pictures

Panels under the steering column come out.

IMG_1045.jpg

Gm wiper switch
(Doesn't want to load)...

Connection to existing interior wiring harness to switch
IMG_1047.jpg

Connection switch to plug from steering column (from late 80's crew cab, junk yard special).
IMG_1049.jpg

Gm wiper switch part number 15598496. Can be found new and used online, junk yard, etc.
IMG_1051.jpg

Washer/pump uses original connections.
IMG_1052.jpg

Best of luck fal_shooter. [thumbzup]

fal_shooter

Thank you for the pictures and the part number. I took that information and looked on eBay as suggested. I found a new in box for 42.99 shipped. Since I am going to replace the wiper motor also I thought new is better than used. ebay has them from $25 on up to over 100. If you punch in the part number you will find them. Other than ebay Amazon has the best price I found. I don't own stock in either company I just send them my social Security check every month and that seems to keep them happy.

When I get it installed I will post the results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks