Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat Project

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    Before I spent more time or money on the transmission I would evaluate the condition of the rest of the drive train. Drain each and check for water and look inside the best you can for rust. Check the engine to see if it is free and if coolant is in the oil. Pull the inspection plug on the brake drums and check for rust/water or brake fluid. You may find it's worth fixing to become a runner or may be a parts donor for the next one. As you can see in my post I have battled with every system in mine, not one thing turned out to be 100% and needed repair. If you decide to rebuild it I would find another transmission, they are not hard to find.
    That is a possibility. I'm going to check everything for condition. It been hard to do all of that this past week because of weather. But. I do like the challenge of keeping everything original. I would hate to sacrifice one goat to fix another. Especially when there are already so few around. I mean it is easy to do that and would create alot of parts for people who so desperately need them. But as of right now. I am going to stick with this one. That's the plan as of now. But who knows. If it gets too much of a hassle and the wife make me......then it might go up for sale for parts. Or as a whole...

Sergeant
    Thanks

Does anybody know the size of the nut that holds the crankshaft pulley on? I need to buy a socket but dont want to get the wrong one...any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 1/8
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to m38inmaine For This Useful Post:

prodro1 (06-08-2016)

Sergeant
    Thanks

Thanks alot

Sergeant
    Thanks

Well, I got my engine to turn over. I temp. installed two batteries so I could and did get power. I could turn the bilge on, a few lights would come on. But when I hit the start button i would just get a click, I thought the starter was seized up, or even worse the engine was seized. I turned the crankshaft pulley with a breaker bar and the 1-1/8" socket (thanks m38inmaine). That was such a relief when I got it to turn. I tapped the solenoid and the starter with a mallet but just kept getting a click. I finally got my multimeter out and one of my batteries was pretty much dead. So I got the jumper cables and hooked them up to my truck, waited a minute and hit the start button again and it turned. It actually startled me, I didnt expect it to turn that fast or that strong. So next on the agenda is to try and blow out the fuel lines, get new filters and see if we can get it to fire off.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,759 Posts

When they fire they start quick. I put a take out motor in mine that had been sitting for a couple of years and barely tapped the starter and she fired 1st crank. They are quick engines to start when working.
    KG5RKO
    1954 M37
    1955 Austin Champ
    1980 M116A2 MEP003
    1995 M105A3

US ARMY - Overlanding since 1775

Sergeant
    Thanks

That's good. I'm hoping that is the case with mine. But first I'm going to clean out the fuel lInes. They are not in the cleanest condition.

Thanks

Curious to see what the inside of your fuel filters look like, mine had been sitting for 14 years, it took me two days to clean the fuel tanks.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Sergeant
    Thanks

Ill post pics later, but the primary filter (the one with the cloth sock?) was trashed, I had to beat it out of the canister. But the other looked to be in very good shape and still smelt like fresh fuel. What did you use to clean your tanks with?
    Last edited by prodro1; 06-12-2016 at 16:33.

Thanks

I used POR-15 Marine Clean, I removed the tanks and set them on a Coleman stove on the ground to heat the solution and loosen the crud on the bottom of the tank, then roll it around the yard for what seemed hours. It took a total of two days from start to end but worth it. I got rid of all the canister type filters and replaced them with spin on.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; 06-12-2016 at 21:51.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast