• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat Project

prodro1

Well I got my transmission parts ordered. After alot of researching and searching I talked with the nice people at Novak in Utah. The quoted me on some reasonable prices. The parts should be here next week. I cant wait to drive this thing. I did get it to move but only in 1st gear. But since I dont have reverse yet, I only budged it forward a few feet.

prodro1

Well I got my tranny part from Novak in Utah. It turns out that the shaft is too short for the gama goat remote shift tower. So now I have to find a machine shop that can just make one for me. Im not sure of prices that machinists charge. I did talk to Red River and they have new transmissions for $350. I might just go that way instead.

prodro1

"UPDATE" I should have my shift shaft for the transmission in by Monday. I decided to just have one machined. I have a cousin in New Orleans that is a machinist and I sent it to him about 2 weeks ago. But due to the recent storms and floods. It has taken a little while for him to get to it. So now while I'm waiting on that I am trying to get all of the lights working. Most are already functional but the blinkers do not work. Also I am searching for a front d/s blinker and a Rear d/s brake light or brake light cover. I am also debating on putting the L.E.D. head lights in it. Has anybody done that yet? How do they look in the Goat? Plus if this rain will ever stop and the temp cool down a bit I can finish changing my fluids and what not.

m38inmaine

Quarkz has led in the front. See what type of flasher box you have, mechanical or solid state. If it's mechanical it's probably toast, I updated to the solid state. The conversion instructions are in the -20 TM. I rebuilt all my lights, Saturn Surplus had all the parts.

Another Ahab

Most are already functional but the blinkers do not work. Also I am searching for a front d/s blinker and a Rear d/s brake light or brake light cover. I am also debating on putting the L.E.D. head lights in it. Has anybody done that yet? How do they look in the Goat? Plus if this rain will ever stop and the temp cool down a bit I can finish changing my fluids and what not.
I think that LED lights look good in just about any replacement; those things SHINE. I'm pretty sure you won't regret them.

prodro1

Well, I finally got my shaft in from New Orleans. It looks just like the original. I am hoping for nice weather this weekend so I can finally pick back up on putting this thing back together.

prodro1

Well. I finally had some down time to work on my goat. I got the transmission back in. But I ran into some cross threaded bolts on the drive shaft. So after digging through the shop and looking for new bolts and a tap and die set. I finally got everything back on. But I ran out of daylight. So first thing in the morning I am going to top off the fluids and hopefully get this thing moving under its own power. I do have one problem. I can't seem to get the transmission in neutral. I think I'm going to have to adjust the shift rods. I will try to post pics tomorrow

Jericho

If you can turn the engine over ,idle, sometimes helps, Occassionaly mine will not want to shift until I start the engine and wiggle the shift lever about

Jericho

Just a thought , are you sure the clutch is adjusted to allow it to disengage , you can look thru the throw out bearing arm hole (Clutch fulcrum )

prodro1

I am going to make sure the clutch is adjusted this weekend. I ended up getting sick and havent been able to work on it for a few days. Its always one thing after another that keeps me from getting anything done...

Another Ahab

I am going to make sure the clutch is adjusted this weekend. I ended up getting sick and havent been able to work on it for a few days. Its always one thing after another that keeps me from getting anything done...
Buy into little victories here and there where you can pull them off.
It'll keep you positive until you can get some major project under the belt. Hang in there, Brother. :driver:[thumbzup]

wsucougarx

I'm right there with you brother! I'm lucky to get an hour or two a week at this point. This week has been better than most as I'm on vacation. But still, time is really hard to come by at this household. Just take one step at a time and before you know it, it'll be done. Then you'll wish you were still working on it;-) Oh wait, this is a Goat...there's always going to be something to work on;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks