• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope that is just a sneak peak! Hope there are more pics

I have a tow bars chains, air hoses, lights etc. and one friend who wants to do a trip like this. So, keep us informed if you will be doing it again.

Also, do you recommend a different time of year? You said the campground was full. Not my idea of a wilderness getaway to have to jockey for camp spaces like you are at the mall for Black Friday deal day!

Wondered if if there was a less busy time of year to consider.
I'll be posting a full write up tomorrow after I get home but this was a perfect time and we wound up in a better campground although next time might stick to back country camp spots where ther isn't anyone.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Sounds like a good week long trip. It's a long way to go for a 3-4 day trip, but I'd still probably do it. Might think of some stops along the way. Texas has some incredible places that we as residents pass by every day without thought.

That distance in a 5-ton, or in a lot of FMV's is tough on old men, and young men who feel old.

Another Ahab

Also, do you recommend a different time of year? You said the campground was full. Not my idea of a wilderness getaway to have to jockey for camp spaces like you are at the mall for Black Friday deal day!
I hear you talking:

- Back when I backpacked my favorite season was winter: no crowds, no biting bugs, big vistas (no leaves); you just had to handle the cold which really isn't that tough (eskimos figured it out way back).

But I'm too lazy to camp now, glamp maybe. But did my camping; all done!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't get any grief from me for glamping.

Camping is usually only completely enjoyable in hindsight. In the moment there is usually a small to large amount of discomfort. I like my sleep. And have grown to like my comfort. Go ahead, call me what you like. Princess and the pea, whatever. I don't have anything to prove to anyone anymore. :)

I have done my time, camped from the arctic circle in October all over the Rockies, Texas, Oklahoma. Even slept in the bed of the 5-ton for a week this year while bringing it down

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm sitting at the carwash getting the wife's pickup cleaned from the trip so will post a little typing on my phone.

The trip was awesome but too short. I'm definitely going to do it next year around the same time but for at least a week. When Andy and I got in Thursday night the Chisos Basin campground was full. This turned out to be a blessing as we moved on to the Cottonwood campground which was easier to get in and out of and closer to the Primitive Roads we wanted to explore. Also next time I'll probably camp at some of the remote sites. Very few were occupied since you have to have a high clearance vehicle to get to most of them. Only issue is no bathrooms but then theres no people so...

I'm glad Andy and Rick were able to make it but wish I could have brought my truck and had at least a couple more vehicles. That will happen in 2017 though!

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At Big Bend, a lot depends on what week/weekend you go. Last time I was down there, we were tripping over people for the first two days, on the third day we were suddenly about the only ones around, lasted for the rest of the time we were there.

Hopefully my vinegaroon magnetism has worn off. Last visit, they seemed to flock to me, and I reeeeeally don't like them. My buddy Todd swears one sidled up to him and asked, in a guttural voice, "Hey, which tent is Rory's?", then stole his beer when he was pointing it out.

Glad y'all had fun!

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At Big Bend, a lot depends on what week/weekend you go. Last time I was down there, we were tripping over people for the first two days, on the third day we were suddenly about the only ones around, lasted for the rest of the time we were there.
The weekend before we were there some big motocross event was going on in Marathon and then next weekend, starting Friday, is the annual Teriligua Chili Cookoff. Those were the primary reasons we picked the date we did. Next year we could go a bit earlier and probably have just as good of weather but it was still in the mid-80s or better for day time temps. Yesterday morning was the only really cool day and the Titan thermometer said 44 when we pulled out of the campground at 0715.

One of the Primitive Roads that we did was the West River Road. It is definitely Primitive. There were a couple of spots where we weren't sure if we were on the road or not and it turned out we weren't and had to turn around and find it again. We ran across a couple of ijiots on street bikes that were doing the whole road from Rio Grande Village to Cottonwood Campground, about 55 miles and we met them about mile 42 into their trip. The lead rider seemed kind of okay with how things were going (probably his idea to do it) but the guy on the second bike was not a happy camper and you could tell even though we didn't speak to him. We only did about 15 miles in and 15 back out and it was an adventure in the trucks. Those poor guys were fighting loose sand and gravel for miles so got a substantial workout.

We did scout out a remote campsite that was fairly easy to get to (Croton Springs), had two camp spots with bear boxes, and room to park 4 BIG trucks easily (you can have 2 vehicles and 2 tents per camp site) that would make a great meeting spot next year. It's on what's called an Unimproved Road, basically just a gravel road, and you could get to it in a Honda Civic without any problem. The other option is reserving the Group Camp site at Cottonwood but you have to have reservations and a minimum of 9 people so not sure we could get that all wrangled together with people committing and dropping out and changing their minds about coming or not coming at the last minute. Probably better to just say "we're going and we're going to try and be at this spot, this day." Cell coverage is hit or miss (mostly miss) throughout the park so you couldn't depend on contacting anyone once you're there.

IMG_5057.JPGIMG_4891.jpgIMG_4964.jpgIMG_4982.jpgIMG_5007.jpgIMG_5011.jpgIMG_5035.jpgIMG_5038.jpgIMG_5053.jpgIMG_4834.jpg

Another Ahab

This turned out to be a blessing as we moved on to the Cottonwood campground which was easier to get in and out of and closer to the Primitive Roads we wanted to explore. Also next time I'll probably camp at some of the remote sites. Very few were occupied since you have to have a high clearance vehicle to get to most of them. Only issue is not bathrooms but then theres no people so...
Bring along some reading material...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that a Toyota Land Cruiser truck I saw? Probably diesel too. I love that truck. You see them all over third world countries, Africa especially, but you have a heck of a hard time finding one here in North America (outside of Mexico and South of Mex).

I have put in sooo many miles on dirt roads in those Land Cruisers that I have an insane respect for their abilities. I'd give you both of my 5-tons on the spot to have a 15 year old Land Cruiser truck like that one (even without the camper on the back). I love those trucks.

Sorry. Done drooling. Awesome pictures of the terrain!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that you guys have gone and scouted it out for us, what would a plan look like for 2017? Same campground? Or go farther back into the park?

I have a friend who bought one of my trucks. He is interested in doing this next year.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, looks like two Land cruisers. From the plate I'd say Australia. Maybe NSW? Not American. What a sweet camper setup that guy has. Really sweet ride. Looks like one of the older ones with a solid front axle maybe?

IMG_6685.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, looks like two Land cruisers. From the plate I'd say Australia. Maybe NSW? Not American. What a sweet camper setup that guy has. Really sweet ride. Looks like one of the older ones with a solid front axle maybe?

View attachment 652181
One Land Cruiser and one Land Rover. We spotted them later and both had a triangular tent like popup on the camper. Both were from France.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that you guys have gone and scouted it out for us, what would a plan look like for 2017? Same campground? Or go farther back into the park?

I have a friend who bought one of my trucks. He is interested in doing this next year.
See the last post on page 7.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks