• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

bsteinborn

The Bridgeport Offroad park (see link below) is near DFW. The Military Vehicle Truck Club of North Texas (MVTCNT) has gone there a few times. It was a always a great time. The second or third Saturday of each month the park is open to overnight camping. The park offers a few water traps and trails. The Jeep guys never liked it when we showed up, our 2.5 and 5 tons would stir up the mud too much for there toys.

http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/322/Northwest-OHV-Park

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha! I’m a do-Bee for sure!

The Jeepers don’t seem to respect the FMVs. Not sure why? Is it because we spent 5-10% of what they did on their rigs? Is it because we have all this power and unstoppable ability? And they have these silly stickers like “if you can read this turn me over” and “Hummer recovery unit”

Please.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Likley it's all nothing more complicated than plain old envy.

They thought and felt like they were all The Big Dog:

But your presence takes that away.
Their kitty feelings get hurt. :naner:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped by Tractor Supply the other day in my M931A2. A guy with a tricked out 4x4 pickup pulled up and parked next to me, he got out and said "Just when I thought my truck was the coolest, most capable one around, I see yours! Sheesh, you just look down at my roof!!". He had a big smile, though, and we talked trucks for a bit.
The folks who have enough self confidence love our trucks. The ones who are trying to prove something and get upset when they get bested...well, we can just feel sad for them and be generous.

Cheers

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I stopped by Tractor Supply the other day my M931A2. A guy with a tricked out 4x4 pickup pulled up and parked next to me, he got out and said "Just when I thought my truck was the coolest, most capable one around, I see yours! Sheesh, you just look down at my roof!!". He had a big smile, though, and we talked trucks for a bit.
A man in command of his ego. Good for him.

There are some of them out there.

We all like trucks, who knows why?!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped by Tractor Supply the other day my M931A2. A guy with a tricked out 4x4 pickup pulled up and parked next to me, he got out and said "Just when I thought my truck was the coolest, most capable one around, I see yours! Sheesh, you just look down at my roof!!". He had a big smile, though, and we talked trucks for a bit.
The folks who have enough self confidence love our trucks. The ones who are trying to prove something and get upset when they get bested...well, we can just feel sad for them and be generous.

Cheers
A man in command of his ego. Good for him.

There are some of them out there.

We all like trucks, who knows why?!

Rory,
As soon as I read your post a particular quote came to mind...

Proverbs 16:18
New King James Version (NKJV)

18 Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall.

Ahab,
There is a Spiritual Gift at work in one who presents him or herself with meekness as Jesus did. Jesus was described as being "meek". By its most true definition, meek is NOT weak. But it IS strength under control. Let's remember that Jesus was raised in a carpentry shop along side Joseph. He was in good physical condition for those labors. Even before His ministry had him WALKING everywhere He traveled, He presented not as a weak man, but as a strong Presence under control and restraint. Do you recall the time He got "table-flippin'-mad"?

----------------

We would all do well to exercise restraint when temped to be prideful about our trucks and other surplus hardware. None of us wishes for that "fall" the Scriptures warn of.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have strayed a bit off topic, but, let’s carry on, it’s an interesting question in human nature and psychology.

Yesterday, I encountered two Jeepers (Jeeper: one who has sunk $80-$100k into a Jeep to make it very trail worthy and may or may not know how/care to use said vehicle for the purpose it was built)

Jeeper #1: Ignored me, and he had plenty of chances to look, wave, thumbs up, etc. ignored me, was doing a lot of lane maneuvering to get away. Odd, at first.

Jeeper #2 came out of a 4-H barn when I pulled up and said “What is that?!?!! That’s sooooo coooool!!!”

The first one likely bought his $80k rig, and it wasn’t really that nice. The second was given hers and appreciated hers and mine. No jealousy, she just thought both vehicles were cool. Daddy bought it. Good for her.

So she didn’t work for hers and had little invested. He worked hard for his and had a lot invested.

I show up and am no threat to her, but pose a threat to him because I take the spotlight off him as long as I am in traffic anywhere near him.

Yesterday, a cop waved, three people in Home Depot parking lot said something to me, and there are some pics on social media about me now.

People love these things. They just love them. Unless you make them take their eyes off their trucks/jeeps. Then, maybe not so much.

Am I so far off here? I have not tested the theory with guys in jacked up crew cab King Ranch F-250/350’s but I just don’t think I see the same reaction. It seems more apparent in the Jeeper Creeper Crowd.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See this guy in the top right of the window you are typing in? 5116C652-79EF-4520-BA7D-94F941AC4BB0.jpg

Hit it the little tree picture frame looking thing and this will sow up 1D4A05A6-BA26-4AEB-9543-D8E9944769FC.jpg

hit the “Choose files” button, then follow the instructions to browse through your phone to find the photos you want, tap them, a check mark will appear and then, you hit done, then hit the tiny little “upload files” like above that will not be brown, like it is above, once you hit it, it will turn brown, this means it is uploading the files.

Another Ahab

There is a Spiritual Gift at work in one who presents him or herself with meekness as Jesus did. Jesus was described as being "meek". By its most true definition, meek is NOT weak. But it IS strength under control. Let's remember that Jesus was raised in a carpentry shop along side Joseph. He was in good physical condition for those labors. Even before His ministry had him WALKING everywhere He traveled, He presented not as a weak man, but as a strong Presence under control and restraint. Do you recall the time He got "table-flippin'-mad"?
Interesting note, Chaplain, thank you!

Whenever I hear stories of folks that have done some walking I think about Alexander the Great and his Army.

You absolutely will not believe the estimate of the distance that they all walked together. You would never guess it correctly.

Look it up if you have the time. It'll knock your socks off.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wound up going solo (well the wife was there too :) ) in my POV. We actually had a great time and I met up with a fellow from MD I connected with on Expedition Portal. Unfortunately he was driving a Subaru Forester so couldn't do the road I really wanted to try - Black Gap Road. I did it alone, which wasn't really wise, but made it out alive.

I did my good deed for the year by changing a tire for a Finnish couple who couldn't decipher the Cadillac Escalade owner's manual. Looking at it the instructions didn't make much sense to me either but we were able to at least figure out where the tools were and after that things went fine. It turns out he's the President of Hertz Rental in Finland. Offered us a free rental car if we ever decided to visit Northern Europe.

I'm working on editing the video of Black Gap Road but here's a couple of pics in the meantime.

Big Bend Entrance.jpgGS9.jpgBlack Gap Rd.jpgOctillo Grove 11.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish it weren’t so darned far. I’d do that trip in a heartbeat if it were closer, or if we could find something similar that was closer. The distance is a deal killer for me, and apparently, most everyone else.

It’s too bad, I bet that is one beautiful and unforgettable trip.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish it weren’t so darned far. I’d do that trip in a heartbeat if it were closer, or if we could find something similar that was closer. The distance is a deal killer for me, and apparently, most everyone else.

It’s too bad, I bet that is one beautiful and unforgettable trip.
It's 7 hours for me but looks about 10 from your place. You definitely need to spend more than a day or 2 there to make it worthwhile. I was hoping for a week this time but things didn't pan out and I doubt I'll make it back for several years.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That doesn’t sound promising! :(

i thought it was more like 12, but, really after 8, I’m not really able to consider it. I made a 6.5 hour work trip in the truck a week ago and it’s a beating. I’m just not nearly as tough as I once was. Nowhere near as tough!

Maybe I need a good 2 days in The Hill country. Go over the Devils Backbone (saw an OLD one ton pulling a single-wide through the devils backbone once!) should have checked the news that night. 50:50 odds they didn’t make it.

Something to to break up the trip. Make it doable.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That doesn’t sound promising! :(

i thought it was more like 12, but, really after 8, I’m not really able to consider it. I made a 6.5 hour work trip in the truck a week ago and it’s a beating. I’m just not nearly as tough as I once was. Nowhere near as tough!

Maybe I need a good 2 days in The Hill country. Go over the Devils Backbone (saw an OLD one ton pulling a single-wide through the devils backbone once!) should have checked the news that night. 50:50 odds they didn’t make it.

Something to to break up the trip. Make it doable.
RAJ LMTV did it last you from Ft Worth but split the drive into 2 days. I don't think I can do that even then with my LMTV. Any trips of that length from now on are in the POV or riding with someone else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks