• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Bend NP Get Together?

TexAndy

Yep. I still don't have AC in my 1009.

I'm not sure what else you have going on Mark, but is there anything local that would make pushing it back to the first or second week of November a bad idea? The weather wasn't bad in late October, but it was still a bit hot during the day on the desert floor.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I still don't have AC in my 1009.

I'm not sure what else you have going on Mark, but is there anything local that would make pushing it back to the first or second week of November a bad idea? The weather wasn't bad in late October, but it was still a bit hot during the day on the desert floor.
Unfortunately I'm stuck with the date. We invited Juli's sister and brother-in-law and they had to schedule vacation in advance.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have learned that, just because it's in Texas doesn't mean it's close. Memphis TN is closer to me (Dallas TX) than Big Bend. It's 12 hrs in a 5 ton.

Each way.

I love the idea of going there. It's a place I have wanted to see for a while. But, my bum and back can't take 24 hrs in a 5-ton. Even one with AC!

Enjoy! Have a drink (or three) on me.

IMG_9247.jpgIMG_9248.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have learned that, just because it's in Texas doesn't mean it's close. Memphis TN is closer to me (Dallas TX) than Big Bend. It's 12 hrs in a 5 ton.

Each way.

I love the idea of going there. It's a place I have wanted to see for a while. But, my bum and back can't take 24 hrs in a 5-ton. Even one with AC!

Enjoy! Have a drink (or three) on me.
I hear ya. Still probably 10 hours for me. We did have a LMTV from the Dallas area last year though. I'm just waiting for someone from Beaumont to show up and we can award them the Cast Iron Butt award.

AND this isn't limited to TX folks. It's a whole lot closer from spots in NM than it is from my house. Just sayin'.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trip is still on but a few changes have been made.

Number one is we're moving the date to Oct 30-Nov 5. Hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler during the daytime.

And number two is that I won't be bringing the LMTV.

I did about an 80 mile trip yesterday with a parade in the middle and my right leg was shot by the time we got home. There was a lot of sitting/standing around waiting for everyone to meet up then waiting for the parade to start so I had some time to recoup a little during that trip. Getting to Big Bend is 456 miles of near constant driving. Even maintaining an average of 55mph that's 8.5 hours of my leg pressing against the throttle. I know my limitations. While it's been suggested that adding a cruise control to the truck would be fairly easy/inexpensive, I think that's just one more thing to have the potential of failure and not something I want to have to depend on to drive the truck.

So still going just taking the Titan instead.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What? I thought everyone had a 2x4 that happened to fit perfectly between the fully depressed accelerator and the dashboard?

I mean, I don't, but lots of people do. :)

I bought mine, sight unseen from a fellow SS in Idaho. I flew up and drove it to Dallas. I feel your pain, I found I drive with my right hand pushing down on my knee. The last leg, I made in 17 hrs. Gunnison to Dallas. My head was spinning for a couple days from that stunt. Never again.

I also see that I put 6000 miles on my truck in the year since I bought it! And I don't drive it for other people, just my own use.

The distance to Big Bend is just too far for me to make it. It's a 12 hr ride in a normal car. I doubt I could make it in a 5 ton.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What? I thought everyone had a 2x4 that happened to fit perfectly between the fully depressed accelerator and the dashboard?

I bought mine, sight unseen from a fellow SS in Idaho. I flew up and drove it to Dallas. I feel your pain, I found I drive with my right hand pushing down on my knee. The last leg, I made in 17 hrs. Gunnison to Dallas. My head was spinning for a couple days from that stunt. Never again.
A lot of people try just using the hand throttle too but I have this whole "don't want to kill anyone" thing going.

My issue is I have Multiple Sclerosis and my right leg is extremely weak due to that. AND I broke my right kneecap back in March and it's never gotten back to the strength it was before that happened so that's a double whammy on the right side. I thought I could handle it until yesterday but know now that my accelerator pedal is too stiff for me to keep it depressed for 8+ hours.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point looks like everyone is bailing. Since no one else will be there the MRS said if I went I had to stay on improved roads only as there wouldn't be any back up in case I got stuck. Thought about ignoring her but then if I did get stuck there would be heck to pay. So to me, if I'm just going to drive around where everyone else is driving there's not much enjoyment in that so guess I'm throwing in the towel too. A year of planning down the tubes and I don't get to try out my new setup until next May.

Awning stowed.jpgAnnex 2.jpgAnnex 1.jpg

Another Ahab

At this point looks like everyone is bailing. Since no one else will be there the MRS said if I went I had to stay on improved roads only as there wouldn't be any back up in case I got stuck. A year of planning down the tubes and I don't get to try out my new setup until next May.
Great looking set-up you got, mkcoen, sorry that the plans didn't all come together.

It's complicated sometimes.

But then this also gives you a chance to "test-drive" your outfit and give it a couple of shake-down outings before next year, you know?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But then this also gives you a chance to "test-drive" your outfit and give it a couple of shake-down outings before next year, you know?
Well that was what this was supposed to be. Nothing close to me that offers any real "stress test" for the equipment so the next outing will be on the way to the Overland West Expo next May. "Car Camping" was not what I had in mind when I started investing in this and the only real way to try to see if it works is to push the limits. Unfortunately that's not really safe to do solo.

Another Ahab

Well that was what this was supposed to be. Nothing close to me that offers any real "stress test" for the equipment so the next outing will be on the way to the Overland West Expo next May. "Car Camping" was not what I had in mind when I started investing in this and the only real way to try to see if it works is to push the limits. Unfortunately that's not really safe to do solo.
I did a lot of backpacking when a young buck, wilderness outings mostly.

For a time I couldn't always find a willing partner, so I'd go out alone for a night or two.

In retrospect I realize how stupid that was (maybe "unadvised" is a better word). But only looking back now did I realize it. :roll:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a time I couldn't always find a willing partner, so I'd go out alone for a night or two.
In retrospect I realize how stupid that was (maybe "unadvised" is a better word). But only looking back now did I realize it. :roll:
Unless you were walking through quicksand it was probably tough to get yourself stuck miles from nowhere :)

(Yes I know he could have gotten hurt and been stranded, just making a joke. Lighten up Francis)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am so sorry this fell through for you. For me, it’s too far and the dates are all wrong. It’s hunting season, and that’s when I make money, so, I’m out.

It’s a trip I would have loved to do, it’s just too far away, there would never be a time that it would be close enough for me.

Is there a place like this or close enough like this that is closer to the DFW metroplex where we can gather more people? I know this is a great place, but the distance is a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks