• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for list of recommended tools

rtadams89

First off, long time lurker, new owner/poster. Lots of really good info here so far that has helped me out significantly in my purchase decision.

I am looking for a list of recommended tools to carry with/support the M35A2. Something like all of the socket wrench sizes you would need for every bolt on the truck, jack minimum/max height, etc. Now I swear I have seen this before here when I was researching buying a Deuce, but now I can't find it. The Wiki (where I thought I saw it originally) returns a 404 error for me and the Google site search returns everything but the thread I thought I remember. Also don't see it in the stickies, which makes me think the thread/list may have been on some other forum.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or can point me to the info?

Last edited by a moderator:

Katavic918

1.5" socket and 13/16" budsocket for wheels with wrench. Decent socket set and wrench set. Impact wrench, die grinder with cutoff wheels, air hose, prybar, fluid pump, Allen wrenches, extra fluids, screwdrivers, funnel, hydraulic jack, flashlight.... I just started with the basics and when ever I think of something I toss it in the box.

texas30cal

Roll of blue shop towels and or hand cleaner towels, Air chuck, tire gauge, a couple of 4x4 blocks, a assortment of nuts/bolts/washers, couple of radiator hose size hose clamps, I keep a small , cheap moving blanket from TSC for laying/knealing on bc my knees and back don't take it very well anymore.

rustystud

You don't want to know what I carry ! Right now I'm setting up my M105 trailer for my Alaskan Expedition and it will have my tool box from work in it. At the last inventory (for insurance purposes) I had over $50,000.00 worth of tools in it.
Yes I know I'm paranoid, but just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get me !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For keeping on the truck, the horrible freight 301 piece mechanics tool kit(nice cause it has 6 point sockets), a set of combination wrenches from 1/4 up to 1 and 1/4, a bud nut socket, hub nut socket, hyd jack, and a couple come-a-longs.

That will get you 97% of the work done. Maybe a head nut wrench, some chains, and a couple pry bars, but thats about it.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One that sometimes seems to be forgotten but is as important or more than everything already mentioned is a full set up TMs! They will become your second bible!!!
Karl

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby friendships and events to come. Keep up with the regular maintenance and you will be good to go. OH!, and don't forget to add add a selection of....'Hammers'..and make or buy a compressor belt adjusting spanner (key, wrench..)...

Last edited:

rustystud

Hey RustyStud, where in Alaska? I'm located in Fairbanks.
My father worked on the "Alaskan Highway" along with the Army. He drove a supply truck that feed and brought supplies for the troops. I remember him telling stories about Alaska and driving in 50 below zero weather and the Moose on the roads and all that cool stuff ! So I have wanted for decades to go drive this road myself. Now that I'm finally retired I plan on taking my son along hopefully this summer and drive the highway ! We would start at Dawson in Canada and try and make it to Fairbanks. My aunt and uncle used to live in Fairbanks from the 1950's to the 1990's. Then after my uncle passed my aunt moved to Sitka. I still might have some cousins there though.

snowtrac nome

on the truck I wuld carry a tool roll to 1 inch sane with a socket set a few screw drivers 12 inch cresent wrench and vice grips. with that you can MacGyver about any thing after that you should also have tire changing equipment with the budd gear wrench makes separating bud nuts a lot easier a 10 ton bottle jack with dunnage should be adequate. remember with a flat on the out side dual you only have to run the inside on to a block to change a tire. for home tools a good impact wrench and a better supply of tools also there are special crows foot wrenches for torqueing multifuel heads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks