• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053a seals n gaskets

expeditionnw

There really shouldn't be any play once the trans is installed. The pilot bushing(in the flywheel) should eliminate any play.
True, but if the shaft wasnt moving around, it wouldnt tear up the seal. Is there a tolerance to check the bearing without tearing the trans down?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When my trans puked gear oil on my clutch, I too used brake clean to make sure it didn't slip any more.

Its not too big of a task to pull the trans and see whats going on. I'd recommend it.

Because the wrong bearing/s were used in my case caused excessive wear or at least that's what I've learned so far from everyone.It didn't feel right one of the internal ones felt real sloppy too.I am not gonna chance it and replace all of them both seals front and rear leaked.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, first long road trip and the gear oil had heated up and expanded, pushing itself out the input shaft(vent was clogged too). I dropped the level a bit and its been leak free since.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that the manuals don't mention it, but that "little metal particle" you found is actually a locating pin that goes into that hole you saw in the 5th-gear sleeve. It is there to prevent the sleeve from rotating on the shaft. The head of the pin goes to the inside of the sleeve, stuck in between two of the splines.

Hard to tell from that vid if that pin(head) is still intact...?
I can post exact dimensions, if needed.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks