• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053a seals n gaskets

OK guys I am also having to change the input shaft seal and rear seal and inspect gears and syncros .I saw a company that sells an improved input seal has anyone used this seal? It's one of the military truck rebuild companies.

This is my biggest worry guys I had the input seal leaking on clutch and it would slip not bad but you could tell just want to make sure that nothing is damaged as far as the syncros.

rustystud

Theres no good pics of the synchros to tell if they're good or not.
Chris is right. You actually need to move the parts around and see if the movement is excessive. Or totally take apart the transmission. Did you experience the transmission jumping out of gear ? Or the shifter shaking violently ? Can you move the main shaft up and down ? Can you move the countershaft up and down ? In all honesty it is almost impossible to diagnose a transmission problem without actually "touching" the unit. The shift rails can be loose in their bores, the bearings could be going bad, the synchros are shot. If you haven't experienced any problems then just replace the seals and put it back in.

The input shaft afte I took the seal off had a lot of play.I'll get pics and check for other play.I was getting a jump in the shifter in 5th when I'd let off the gas pedal but thought that was from clutch slip because off oil leak.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The input shaft afte I took the seal off had a lot of play....
That's normal, despite the condition of the input shaft bearing.

BTW, that bearing shown in 1st pic, post #5 is not what should be there. It takes a BL308 "high load", with 11 brg.balls; not the std 6308 with only 8.

Correct bearing numbers can be found here...

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not saying a std bearing won't work... just, not lasting too long.

Keep in mind that the 3053 behind a LDS (or turned-up LDT) does its hard work in 5th-O.D. gear, most of its time, and that's when it sees significant radial- and also axial forces, from the 4 helical gears involved. Much more friction (= heat); all that will affect bearing life...

If that same transmission was only used in 4th (direct)gear, the bearings would last forever. Even cheap, std bearings.

G.

rustystud

It's really hard to see the pictures clearly. On the synchros are the locking lugs (small teeth) rounded or pointed ? Is there any chunks out of them ? Also check the gears and their lugs also. That main shaft looks a little worn out, but then again it could just be the picture.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If shopping online, just type in "308ZNR", under the category "Deep Groove Ball Bearings with Fill Slot". Most mayor brands carry this one.

FWIW: the single "Z" stands for the one-shield-only; the "NR" for the snap ring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks