• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How fast do they dry out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
There’s something like 12-13 oz of gear oil in the front ones. I doubt “dry out” is a factor unless there is another problem with a seal or excessive heat from bad bearings.

FYI. The rear hubs are lubricated by, and share the oil in, the entire differential and axle housing. Oil level there is also very important, but not as critical as the front hubs since the reservoir is gallons not ounces.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. It could just be your picture, but my gauges are not nearly that bright, even on full brightness. They are barely visible, even it very dark conditions. I guess I'll have to look into that.
I’m certain you are aware of the two settings on the 3 way light switch “panel dim” and “panel bright”.

DFDDA8A4-059E-459C-8AD6-3D222E0AEB9F.jpg

Here is the rheostat dimmer switch that also controls panel gauges.
FC0CF444-7127-4421-9CCF-D494F98F83B0.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
his light different too. Mine are back lit not digit lit. His Look sweet.
Light comes from the edges of the gauge. I did not see backlit numbers in person. I believe this appearance may be just the camera's view of things. Admittedly, I did have them on the brightest setting.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m certain you are aware of the two settings on the 3 way light switch “panel dim” and “panel bright”. Here is the rheostat dimmer switch that also controls panel gauges.
Yep, I have mine on Panel Bright with the rheostat turned all the way up, still very dim like it's backlit with a candle. Not a big deal, but it's good to know they should be brighter. I'll take apart the panel one day... maybe the bulbs are darkened over on the inside, or something is dirty.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad rheostat?
Entirely possible. I never investigated because I didn't previously realize they were supposed to be brighter.
You could try some Deoxit on the rheostat to see if it helps. I learned about this stuff in the Auxiliary Equipment section for use on the reconnection switches on a genset. It is widely regarded in the electrical community and is used extensively on old amplifiers, etc to revive these type of switches. It is available online or often in stock at your local guitar store (Guitar Center stocks it here).

You could also try Deoxit on the panel dim/panel bright switch to make sure it is making contact inside.

As with all electrical work please disconnect power prior to using contact cleaner!

DeoxIT-large.jpg

Last edited:

sjohn116

Ask Longerange4u about a Roadtrip in an LmTV. He bought one and drove it 2000 mile from MD to FL and back to VA....towing a 1082 nonetheless. He survived and lived to tell the tale.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year, a couple of months after I got my LMTV, my wife and I headed west from TN to CO, UT, WY, MT, ND, SD and other states in between on the way back to TN. We put about 4500 miles on the M-1078 on that trip. Since then we have added another 30k miles, or what ever those units are on the odometer (ok, supposed to be miles!). The only trouble I had was some dirt in the air system but that was resolved quickly. Keep your fluids checked and carry an IR thermometer for quick checks on transmission main body, drop box, and outputs to driveshafts, and the hubs.

My advice is to take your time, don't stress the truck or you, and for sure don't try to stay on the interstates and keep up with traffic. That will wear out you and the truck. Enjoy! You will look back on this as a great adventure.

Bob

Recce01

Last year, a couple of months after I got my LMTV, my wife and I headed west from TN to CO, UT, WY, MT, ND, SD and other states in between on the way back to TN. We put about 4500 miles on the M-1078 on that trip. Since then we have added another 30k miles, or what ever those units are on the odometer (ok, supposed to be miles!). The only trouble I had was some dirt in the air system but that was resolved quickly. Keep your fluids checked and carry an IR thermometer for quick checks on transmission main body, drop box, and outputs to driveshafts, and the hubs.

My advice is to take your time, don't stress the truck or you, and for sure don't try to stay on the interstates and keep up with traffic. That will wear out you and the truck. Enjoy! You will look back on this as a great adventure.

Bob
Thank you! Great advice!!

What exactly are you looking for?
yes, I am curious too!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My interpretation of the lmtv and newer rigs is you need a military support system
These vehicles weren’t built to be lone rangers
Can you elaborate? I thought that a major point of the FMTV program was to use as many commercial off the shelf components as possible. To me these seem like the easiest military trucks to fix WITHOUT a military support system, unless I'm missing something.

coachgeo

My interpretation of the lmtv and newer rigs is you need a military support system
These vehicles weren’t built to be lone rangers
Tis way am interpreting it too.... but it is still doable. Plan your trips with strategic stops at places found thru is bulletin board to stop at and go thru the items specified by TM when you hit X # of hours or miles. Also smaller independent Big Rig repair shops would be a good place too. Some things you won't need a shop etc. Just planned full day or couple days stay to run thru the TM checks before moving on to next destination. Many wise long rangers do this in other rigs too be it a Unimog or a Isuzu.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What exactly are you looking for?
I must not understand your question. IR thermometer measures temperature so I'm looking for heat build up. It's easier to reach potential hot spots under the truck with a laser-pointed IR gun than by hand.

Just like we check trailer bearings and dragging brakes by feeling them. A new-to-me truck deserves the same, or more, checks when starting on a long drive.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IR thermo is great for all kinds of things including troubleshooting a miss.
I would say that with all the aforthought put into this trip, you should have no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks