Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Excited new M1010 Owner in Cali

Thanks

Default Excited new M1010 Owner

Hello all, I am excited to say the least about my new ambulance.... I have been lurking and reading a lot and there is such a wealth of information here I am very grateful to everyone who contributes and am now ready to ask and contribute some things on my project.

I have been looking for a camping rig for many months on craigslist and I knew that there was a good deal that had popped up only it was on the other side of the country :/ I got what I think was a great deal on shipping and as of a few weeks ago am the proud new owner of a 1985 M1010. Not sure of it's entire history but I would imagine that it sat around at some base for many years and then it was bought by Osakis Fire Dept in Minnesota. It had two ~60 gallon water tanks in the back and a pump that led to what I imagine was a water cannon in the back for wild fires that needed the 4x4 capabilities of the m1010. They owned it about 10 years and then after a brief shuffle of hands I purchased it and had it carted over to Ca where I am planning on making it a dedicated camping rig. One great thing about it so far is that it only has just over 10,000 miles on it so things are still in really great shape. It looks like someone who was competent enough has turned it into a dedicated 12v vehicle. I am now finding myself in a spot where I have some questions as I am trying to ruch things along to get it up to snuff for its first trip.

I will attempt to post some pics of the thing and then ask my first question or two. I will try and only ask what I could not answer through searching the forum.

Anywho, my first question is about a vibration on the alternator belt. At idle it sounds (to steal another threads description) as though someone is strumming a guitar... and goes away past idle, worse when cold. I will read in the manual the directions on tightening the belt but I got it as tight as comfortable without knowing what I am after and I do not own a belt tension meter. The answer I read on here was it was normal... I would love to make it better also I took some video to share. After some staring at things while it was idle after dispatching the third wasp nest.... I noticed that the bottom pulley was a little wobbly. Not only that but the balancer as well so I will hope to kill two birds with one stone and take care when tightening the pulley on to "center the slop out of it and maybe my strumming belt will fix itself?

So one of the things that I am not the first to notice is the lack of gauges. I did not see anyone take my approach which is to find a stock gauge from similar era vehicle and swap it into the dash along with it's correlating sending units and I would imagine nip the threads off the back of the gauges so the stock printed circuit could remain intact and "hotwire" a different gauge cluster in. I went to the junkyard and found a triple gauge that may replace the fuel gauge that has oil pressure, water temp and volts (12v) all in one, then all I would need is a small fuel gauge which I can put in either the Gen2 spot or the current nonop volt meter spot and have something that told me a bit more about what is going on. Of couse more to follow, I also obtained an autometer tranny temp gauge at the junkyard and have a mini digital tach coming in the mail soon....

Another project that I tackled was the battery trays. It shipped with the original battery trays with an mtp-24 and an mtp-65. At the junkyard I got a pair of trays from a civi blazer and welded em together to fit two mtp-24s side by side at the front passenger side leaving the rear tray ready to accept something else such as other recommendations (through reading here) an air compressor or...? Unfortunately the mtp-65 does not fit right and though they are about 6 year old batteries they are still doing fine so I will strap em in for good measure and when I replace the pair they will fit perfect up front there. I did have to shift the innermost battery tray in a good inch to have the width between the second tray and the radiator. The radiator neck was leaking and solder has cured that for now and the overflow had a 2" hairline crack which has been subdued with an epoxy/fiberglass patch for now...

Now the focus is on weatherizing it as there are lots of holes from the fire department that need patching so it can get wet and stay dry on the inside. Wiring the rear box after that and then insulation.

Another cool thing you may notice are the auxiliary front and back receivers and 7000 hitch... At the moment gutted it weighed in at #6400 and is still a dog going up inclines so I don't think Ill be wanting to tow anything anytime soon.

Anywho, hello and cheers!

197.jpg200.jpg202.jpg010.jpg008.jpg009.jpg011.jpg013.jpg

At some point I will try and tackle the AC issue but just having it on its way back together and something that I can trust going for 500 miles at a time would make me happy.

Back to wrenching... (of course right when I get a new rig my work truck gets jealous and shows her need for attention by leaking coolant into cylinder #2 :/ (1994 gmc 6.5T) Which will slow things down somewhat but I can limp along with that one for a while I think...

Here is the belt vibration video along with the pulley wobble.

I put the brush on the outside of the balancer to show the runout better....
    Last edited by cruzer747; 08-06-2018 at 00:13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cruzer747 For This Useful Post:

LT67 (11-01-2018)

Thanks

Ahh, not sure if I should make an edit or just add this post but one issue I am unsure uf is the glowplug operation. I have read conflicting bits and find on this vehicle (12v conversion) that the card is working but only turns on when it is "cold" I would like to have it turn on at a bit higher temps as it is deciding to at the moment and am torn between a manual momentary switch vs trying to fool the card into thinking it is always cold.

Thoughts?

General
    Thanks

Welcome aboard, that's a really good looking M1010, needs some green paint though.

Congratulations and good luck getting her how set up how you want her.
    Last edited by joshuak; 07-21-2018 at 15:50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joshuak For This Useful Post:

cruzer747 (07-22-2018)

Thanks

Welcome from Lancaster, PA and WOW ! Super nice M1010. Your post was kinda long so for now I'll just hit a coupla points. Replace the balancer before anything else. Very common and well known deficiency of the 6.2. I have seen these fly apart and if yours is already wobbling it's just a matter of time. That MIGHT also fix your belt "strumming". The balancer does just that, helps eliminate harmonic vibration from the rotating parts being "hit" over and over by the combustion process. The belt issue CAN be a harmonic resonance of the belts. That's often why it goes away above idle, different resonant frequency. The mirrors on my big girl are the same way. At idle it's like wearing "drunk goggles" when looking at them. Bring the revs up even 200 rpm and clear as a bell.

Gauges ? It's now 12 volt so add whatever gauges you want. Also, I like the a-post clusters when available. Something besides the mirror to look at when "scanning" to the left.

Engine power ? Fuggidabowdit ! Unless you wanna spend a fortune, the 6.2 is the 6.2. Low horsepower, decent torque for it's era. WILL tow almost anything but NOT rapidly. For what it would cost to "goose" that engine you can "drop in" a Duramax / Allison take-out and have instant h.p. and torque of a modern truck. In fact you'll probably need to upgrade other driveline components if you go that route. Mild upgrades on D-maxes are cranking out 700 h.p and 1200 ft. / lbs. The 6.2 WILL run forever if cared for ( like my nhc250 ) but she's old tech.

Beyond that the possibilities are almost endless. You have a chassis that almost EVERYTHING is available for from NOS to bullet-proof ( nigh unbreakable ) aftermarket parts.

Best wishes and, again, congratulations ! Good luck and Happy Motoring !
    "7, 6, 2 millimeter. Full Metal Jacket . . ."

She is Large, and Beautiful, and I shall call her . . . "Exit Strategy" 'cause I should prolly oughta have one.

Somebody Important I guess -
    " Give a man a fish and he'll look atcha like, What the eff am I supposed to do with this? Teach a man to fish and he'll always have an excuse to hook up his Johnson equipped boat to get away from his Ol ' Lady and hang out on the lake." Or sumthin like that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to someoldmoose For This Useful Post:

cruzer747 (07-22-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, new balancer is on order as well as the seal. And hopefully the color will go back to green soon but I am focused on mechanics first.

One more thing is that I hope I posted this in the right spot on this site..?

General
    Thanks

This is good place to introduce yourself. You may want to ask a MOD to move it, if you'd like to keep it as a build thread as well.
    Try these other two sections for CUCV specific threads.
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?47-CUCV
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumd...d-Modification
    and the CUCV help threads
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...elpful-Threads
    I'm interested to see how you incorporate other gauges. I added a generic gauge set from the parts store to help the dummy lights on the panel, but with the GEN 1 and 2 lights (not functional in the M1010 model), it leaves a lot of open area. On my to do list is add gauges in those locations. Here's mine, haven't updated in a while.
    Last edited by joshuak; 07-22-2018 at 04:47.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joshuak For This Useful Post:

cruzer747 (07-22-2018)

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer747 View Post
    Ahh, not sure if I should make an edit or just add this post but one issue I am unsure uf is the glowplug operation. I have read conflicting bits and find on this vehicle (12v conversion) that the card is working but only turns on when it is "cold" I would like to have it turn on at a bit higher temps as it is deciding to at the moment and am torn between a manual momentary switch vs trying to fool the card into thinking it is always cold.

Thoughts?
    This glow plug card has an "additional heat" option to turn the glow plugs on when the engine is warm.
    http://www.glowplugcards.com/

I moved this thread to the CUCV forum.
    Last edited by antennaclimber; 07-22-2018 at 13:10.
    1991 M925A2
    1986 M1008
    1986 M1009 USN
    1985 M1010
    M101A2

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antennaclimber For This Useful Post:

cruzer747 (07-22-2018), joshuak (07-23-2018)

Thanks

So I had some more time to put into getting it up to snuff. Swapped out the harmonic balancer, glad I did, I felt no play and the front looked pretty good but the back was starting to get plenty of warning cracks in the rubber. Also the biggest leak that I can tell is the front oil seal which I also swapped out. It MAY have helped the pulley wobble a bit but not dramatically. I wonder if a new pulley would mellow that out? For the record as far as balancer installs... not too bad going from underneath with just belt removal. You can also use the puller as an installer as the thread on the puller threads into the crank and with a washer you can use the body of the puller to press it back on with a crescent wrench. Better than hammering! Did not see that in the threads here.
    frontIMG_20180725_154110.jpgrearIMG_20180725_154042.jpgnewIMG_20180725_154025.jpg

I installed a tee to split the oil sender units... new sender for new gauge, old one still in and working. The stock elbow had a bit of a countersink before the threads as it seems to be like a compression fitting? Not my area of expertise but I wadded up the teflon good on the tee and no leaks, may need to redo this some time.
    IMG_20180725_192849.jpg

I also wired up the back of the new gauge cluster with a pigtail of sorts that I will hopefully be able to run through the dash and connect to the appropriate wires. I bench tested the gauges and they work well, also I grabbed another out of a later chevy van which was a little nicer than the vandura. My only question at this point is where to install the temp sender. There are what appear to be 3 senders, I will say I have not had the time to look at the manual and can answer this myself when I have time but I see two, one in each head (driver front pass rear) and one at the driver side rear. Ultimate solution would be remove plate at pass rear and reroute fuel line that is close to there and add at that point but I am curious if it would be a no no to remove one out of the sides of the head as my guess is it is redundant?
    IMG_20180725_210507.jpgIMG_20180725_210534.jpgIMG_20180725_210547.jpg

ahh, also I realize that not only will I be needing to add a fuel gauge but a seat belt light and an E-Brake light as well, no biggies but wish I had thought about that before my trip to the junkyard (1 hour drive).

After replacing the starter in my other truck it reminds me how slow an old starter can be and before I change the glow plug card I will put a new starter in as I think that will be the best move for now as far as hot starts (seems to be it could be the IP headed south after much reading on here.)
    Last edited by cruzer747; 07-26-2018 at 00:45.

General
    Thanks

I may be mistaken but, sender on rear head passenger is for idle cold advance/fast idle (IP), drivers side rear is for the GP and the one on the front drivers side is for the dummy light.

Keep up the good work.

Edit. Diagrams F7 and F10 in either Appendix F of TM-20 or Appendix E of TM-34 show these sensors.
    Those manuals can be found here, among other places on the web or if you'd like the colored wiring diagrams here.
    Last edited by joshuak; 07-26-2018 at 08:41. Reason: Added info.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to joshuak For This Useful Post:

cruzer747 (07-26-2018)

Thanks

thankyou for the links! I do have the TMs downloaded but had not seen the colored ones, printing those out now!

Looks like I will be modifying that blockoff plate!

I tore into things last night and while complicated I am going to tb pretty happy with how it all turns out. I will take some pictures when I get a chance, I was very surprised to see how thorough the 24v delete was done as they removed the pins on the dash harness for gen1 and gen2 and snipped them back at least a foot and taped them off. I have my work cut out for me as the old fuel gauge and my new gauge are at different depth so I will need to weld some tabs as well as put the small fuel gauge I nabbed at the junkyard, also a 90ohm and benchtested fine, just need to repaint diesel over the unleaded part. Vdo 4k tach and autometer trans temp gauges will go where door ajar light and old voltmeter were, E brake and seatbelt will be visable after cutting out lower portion of new gauge. If I could get gen1 light working somehow that would be nice but I could also put another gauge there .... possibly save it for a second fuel tank if I ever go that route.

Sounds pretty mickey mouse but when it is all done I think it will work well and look like it ought to so will post pics when I get another chance to stab at it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cruzer747 For This Useful Post:

joshuak (07-27-2018)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast