• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at hmmwv for tow rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinton

So this is my first post did alot of searching before I joined the group to post this. I have been looking to buy a hmmwv for several months watching how the auctions are going and what's for sale outside of auctions. I just can't wrap my head around why this thing can't tow 10k lbs. I mean my old Silverado 1/2 ton can so why not a 1 1/4 ton hmmwv? What is the limiting factor here? Ultimately I want a rig that can hit the trails and tow my drag car to the track which is right around 10k lbs. Oh and because I am a little bit of a speed freak I will probably end up putting a dmax or Cummins under the hood

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

You are barking up the wrong tree for a tow rig. They are slow and underpowered for a tow rig. No ABS plus no provision for a receiver style hitch.

Have you driven a hmmwv yet? Even in the A2 configuration with a 6.5 and overdrive they are dogs with only a M1101 behind it. If you are a speed freak then get an H1 with a Dmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tage

LOL SPEED FREAK.

You obviously never towed... My 18 "cummins" Is everything but a speed machine. Sure it has numbers, but my wife's Volvo can smoke it at every road condition empty...

I'll suggest you keep the cheb with the 4.8, or 5.3. Will be faster then any humvee. More comfortable, and better equipped.

Now if you want a capable slow off-road truck then get a hmmwv. If you want a tow rig buy a "cummins"

Quinton

Yeah I just don't like the price tag of a h1 alpha when I know I can build it cheaper and it won't be a detuned dmax

Carrera911

The short answer is it can. The military rating is so low because it is a off road rating where the truck may also be loaded down with whatever. Officially the H1 was rated around 7-8k which is mechanically identical to a hmmwv only heavier as a wagon. That figure still seems low to me. It could be the strength of the factory receiver hitch or just their high safety margin. You have to keep in mind the liabilities manufacturers have to cover. Really the one limiting factor in my mind is the brakes which are not huge but all disc. I would image still better than half ton trucks with drums in the rear. Even so the high compression motor provides a lot of braking power by downshifting. If you have a beefy hitch for it I don't think it would be a problem other than the 55-60 top speed and it will be a dog with that much weight. The frames are incredibly beefy, the trans cooler is massive and the turbo 400 is plenty beefy for these power levels. Install a good hitch, EGT gauge, turn up the injection pump some. There is some liability if something happened but people do this kind of thing all the time. 9/10 people don't know what a weight distributing hitch is but they tow way over the weight carrying capacity of their half ton trucks and borderline the weight distributing weight.

tage

The short answer is it can. The military rating is so low because it is a off road rating where the truck may also be loaded down with whatever. Officially the H1 was rated around 7-8k which is mechanically identical to a hmmwv only heavier as a wagon. That figure still seems low to me. It could be the strength of the factory receiver hitch or just their high safety margin. You have to keep in mind the liabilities manufacturers have to cover. Really the one limiting factor in my mind is the brakes which are not huge but all disc. I would image still better than half ton trucks with drums in the rear. Even so the high compression motor provides a lot of braking power by downshifting. If you have a beefy hitch for it I don't think it would be a problem other than the 55-60 top speed and it will be a dog with that much weight. The frames are incredibly beefy, the trans cooler is massive and the turbo 400 is plenty beefy for these power levels. Install a good hitch, EGT gauge, turn up the injection pump some. There is some liability if something happened but people do this kind of thing all the time. 9/10 people don't know what a weight distributing hitch is but they tow way over the weight carrying capacity of their half ton trucks and borderline the weight distributing weight.
Remind you that you're running half shafts to geared hubs. You snap one locking up the brakes. I hope you have good trailer brakes.

Carrera911

Remind you that you're running half shafts to geared hubs. You snap one locking up the brakes. I hope you have good trailer brakes.
This is true. Would be a good idea to upgrade to 10k or 12k brakes and half shafts to go along with your Cummins. Also configure a 12 volt power source and add a trailer brake controller. Then you'll have the power and the braking to match.

tage

This is true. Would be a good idea to upgrade to 10k or 12k brakes and half shafts to go along with your Cummins. Also configure a 12 volt power source and add a trailer brake controller. Then you'll have the power and the braking to match.
I still wouldn't do it.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it...

Quinton

As to the speed freak comments that's what the drag car is for I'm just looking for decent power out of this thing and if half shaft s are a problem I can get them fabricated at a local shop I've had done in the past and the hold up to 800ft lbs

Quinton

If you are going to do it anyway why did you come here for advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking to find out the weak points so I know what would need to be replaced/upgraded not so I could be told it can't be done

Quinton

And one last thing if I'm planning on an engine swap is there any real reason to get a m 1045 a2 over a m998?

Action

And with all the threads about electrical problems...when your electric trailer brakes fail to get a signal....

Just get an urban gorilla kit and put on a gm frame.

The 7.7k, 10.3k, and 12.1k rating are for max vehicle weight, not towing weight.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And one last thing if I'm planning on an engine swap is there any real reason to get a m 1045 a2 over a m998?

Buy something that is meant to tow then. If you want a 1 1/4ton and has to be military then go with a dually cucv. Same powertrain just more suited for engine mods like a SB/BB. Also better lower gearing. a HMMWV is not meant to tow anything more than its little tag along cargo trailers at convoy speed and it can barely do that. Not a normal highway speed.

Quinton

I'm starting to get the feeling nobody wants to tow more than a lawnmower around with these things lol. Ok well forget the towing is an a2 worth the extra 10k?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm starting to get the feeling nobody wants to tow more than a lawnmower around with these things lol. Ok well forget the towing is an a2 worth the extra 10k?

If its a M104x series slant back, and has 4 spd trans, bigger brake rotors, and half shafts, wire harness.
It would cost alot more time and money to get a 998 and convert it to A2.

riderdan

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm posting it anyway: congratulations on being sensible. There are millions of people out there who have an idea in mind (like towing a massive trailer with a HMMWV) who won't listen when they're told it won't work out well. So imaginary internet points to you for listening. Seriously.

As 86humv says, the cost difference will depend in large part of how the a2 is equipped. The slant parts are expensive and if you can get the 4-speed that's a definite bonus if you will be doing highway driving. The thing to do is to look at an older HMMWV and a newer one and decide if the price difference is worth when you factor in the cost of doing whatever you would want to do to the older one. If you're planning on buying a 1988 5.2 liter M998 with the three speed and a two-man soft top and turning it into a 6.5 liter four-speed slant, you might as well start with a truck that's already close to what you want.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve got a gooseneck in mine and pull a 28 foot 10 ton trailer loaded with 11 tons of excavator. Pulls no problem. It is a little slow up hill. I ignored all the published military specs and even the testing . Everbody knows the military under rates everything. You can easily multiply by 5 whatever says .

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks