• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at hmmwv for tow rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking to find out the weak points so I know what would need to be replaced/upgraded not so I could be told it can't be done

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
It was designed as a tactical vehicle not a tow vehicle . You can gold plate a turd , but you just end up with a expensive turd.
So throw all the money you got at a HMMWV and you still won't have a tow vehicle what does what you expect.

snowtrac nome

Coming from some one who has some hitch and trailer experience, I would recommend not to do this. you could fab up a class 3 receiver and use an equalizing hitch but as a load carrying I would not recommend it. your front end would be too light with out the equalizer and if you try to balance the load it will push the rig around causing sway. Likewise you will have to have an electric brake system as surge brakes don't play well with equalizers. If you want a military truck than get an lmtv they have all the stopping power you need along with the weight to control the load at high way speeds. I use mine all the time with a car hauler and no trailer brakes and even with a one ton pu on the trailer you don't even know its back there.

tage

I’ve got a gooseneck in mine and pull a 28 foot 10 ton trailer loaded with 11 tons of excavator. Pulls no problem. It is a little slow up hill. I ignored all the published military specs and even the testing . Everbody knows the military under rates everything. You can easily multiply by 5 whatever says .
I hope that's satire.

If not. I seriously hope dot gets you.

Edit:
Dot= department of transportation

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's satire.

For what it's worth, I tried towing a M105 trailer with a comm shelter on it with mine. Let's just say that a trip around the block not even up to highway speeds had me coming back home in a hurry.

Now I have a drash trailer as well that weighs about the same as that other setup and has just as much wind load. My 1038 pulls it fine, just sllooooooow. Course that trailer was meant to be pulled behind a HMMWV.

My point? The HMMWV isn't great for pulling trailers, unless the trailer was designed for the HMMWV, and even then it's not that fun.

ClintA

As we have 2 CUCV's that are used for Ranch trucks and there is a huge difference between haling and towing. You can put on a ton and a half of salt blocks and go anywhere and make good time, you hook it to a 16 foot goose neck trailer and you can walk ahead and get there sooner, then hook it to a 20 foot trailer and your better off unloading your horse and riding from home. Never even sat in a HMMWV but with the same engine I would expect the same results. just my 2 cents.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, the HMMWV faces the same lack of power on tap issue as the CUCV. But the suspension adds another variable to the mix that can make things interesting at times.

My 1008 however gets beat like a rented mule. But it handles everything I throw at it. (It also has a turbo) Several people will vouch for extreme towing it's done as seen at the GA rally last year. :patracy:

Quinton

Coming from some one who has some hitch and trailer experience, I would recommend not to do this. you could fab up a class 3 receiver and use an equalizing hitch but as a load carrying I would not recommend it. your front end would be too light with out the equalizer and if you try to balance the load it will push the rig around causing sway. Likewise you will have to have an electric brake system as surge brakes don't play well with equalizers. If you want a military truck than get an lmtv they have all the stopping power you need along with the weight to control the load at high way speeds. I use mine all the time with a car hauler and no trailer brakes and even with a one ton pu on the trailer you don't even know its back there.
Only problem with the lmtv besides looking like a Mitsubishi on mud tires is no 4 door option without extensive fabrication

Action

Private use not subject to DOT rules . I’ve got good trailer brakes so it’s ok.
It is when the combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer exceed a certain weight. Do you have a class A license like you may need? If so, DOT is involved...if not and you should, then DOT should definitely br involved.

Quinton

Well then as far as I have seen on the auctions are these trucks going for 15-20 depending on condition. Is this about average or would it be wise to wait for a different time of year?

BLK HMMWV

Not familiar with your state laws regarding even getting it registered for on highway use.
I'd find out if you can even get licensed for driving on the road first before you spend a nickel.
with that said like someone said earlier stick with an H1.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is when the combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer exceed a certain weight. Do you have a class A license like you may need? If so, DOT is involved...if not and you should, then DOT should definitely br involved.
Only if you are involved in INTERSTATE OR INSTRASTATE commerce does DOT matter in some states. If you are hauling your own private property and even 80,000lbs you are not subject to federal or state DOT of your state does not require you to have a cdl

You mean the 10,001 lbs of gross combined weight on a interstate or intrastate commerce vehicle. Private property doesnt fall into that relm

In TN,AR,MS I know for a fact you can be 80,000lbs in a full air brake truck or truck and trailer combo and DOT has no authority over you if you are hauling your own property. They cant inspect you and no scales. You can tell a DOT officer to kick rocks

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I put “Not for hire” on both sides. No issues. I’m surprised at how well it does.

tage

No I put “Not for hire” on both sides. No issues. I’m surprised at how well it does.
You're skirting the law on that one. Using the Georgia military vehicle cdl exception.

Assuming you have an A0 is 2,500 lbs, and A2 only 4400 lbs. And you're towing 22,000 lbs + a trailer.
I hope you have have insanely high insurance coverages.
That and you take your rig by a scale house...

Last edited:

tage

Only if you are involved in INTERSTATE OR INSTRASTATE commerce does DOT matter in some states. If you are hauling your own private property and even 80,000lbs you are not subject to federal or state DOT of your state does not require you to have a cdl

You mean the 10,001 lbs of gross combined weight on a interstate or intrastate commerce vehicle. Private property doesnt fall into that relm

In TN,AR,MS I know for a fact you can be 80,000lbs in a full air brake truck or truck and trailer combo and DOT has no authority over you if you are hauling your own property. They cant inspect you and no scales. You can tell a DOT officer to kick rocks
Cdl aside. Gray area at best. Until the dot officer shuts you down for their interpretation of the law....

Using a hmmwv to tow 22,000 lbs + trailer when it's only rated at 2500 lbs. That is the issue.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cdl aside. Gray area at best. Until the dot officer shuts you down for their interpretation of the law....

Using a hmmwv to tow 22,000 lbs + trailer when it's only rated at 2500 lbs. That is the issue.
That's why they drive miles out of their way to go around scales.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I don’t drive around scales . I just go by and don’t stop. It’s all military looking and my own stuff. So no big deal

tage

No I don’t drive around scales . I just go by and don’t stop. It’s all military looking and my own stuff. So no big deal
Just because it's your own stuff doesn't make you immune to dot laws.
By making it military looking makes me cringe. I wonder if you wear acu's to complete the look....

You'll get stopped one of these days for blowing a scale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks