Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Time Armour Buyer help

Colonel
    Thanks

Are there any French Panhards being imported or already here?
    1989 hmmwv

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jake-cutter For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (Yesterday)

3 Star General
    Thanks

In an issue of "Classic Military Vehicles Magazine" there was an article on the restoration of a couple of French AML armored cars. If i recall, the owners paid the devil to find spare parts for their projects. Still, pretty cool armored cars.

Always liked this one myself: https://i.redd.it/23ish6h87eg01.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to L1A1 For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 800 Posts

Old stuff, half tracks, scout cars, wheeled stuff, parts are expensive, the tracks are getting scarce and VERY expensive. Parts for these two vehicles are drying up fast. As for tracked stuff, you should check with your local law makers, it is not possible to drive full track vehicles, rubber or not, on the roads around here. If the vehicle damages the road, imagine what you would be billed to fix it. Parts are also a big issue for tracked things. They are very high maintenance vehicles and the chassis parts are hard to find and if you do find them, new at least, there is a "rule" that the people that make and sell the parts cannot sell to YOU, for less than they bill Uncle Sam. These examples are for US vehicles. I have no clue how tough it is to try and acquire and then repair/maintain a piece of armor from out of the US.

Don't think for one minute that armor isn't fun to tinker with and fun to drive/operate, I am fortunate to work for a place that trusts me enough to get elbows deep into the equipment and to operate things, but I see first hand how much attention they need and that if it weren't for all of the parts that have been acquired over the past 40 years, there would be not a snow balls chance in he'll that the equipment could be kept alive.
    ASMH Volunteer

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

L1A1 (Yesterday), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (Yesterday)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2