Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installed a 200 amp alternator and having charging issues now.

Private
    Thanks

Default Installed a 200 amp alternator and having charging issues now.

Hey guys!

I had a 60 amp alternator that ended up overcharging the whole vehicle and fried the glow plug module, which then fried the glow plugs.

I bought a new glow plug module, glow plugs, and a new 200 amp alternator with the voltage regulator mounted on top.

The glow plug issue is fixed, but now I'm having an issue charging, and was wondering if anyone can recommend ways to start diagnosing the problem.

I had a friend do the install I thought it was strange he had a jumper wire from the front of the voltage regulator where it had a 14v output lug and grounded it to the case...he said that's what the instructions specified.

I bought it off eBay, and this was the picture of it.

s-l1600.jpg

I checked the output of the generator wire and I was at 23.08 volts and it would go down as the engine kept running. So, I'm assuming the generator has no output.

So are we convinced its the Voltage regulator? I can't believe how expensive all this 200 amp stuff is...wishing I stayed with the 60 amp stuff now.

Thanks!
    Last edited by darkostoj; 10-22-2019 at 15:35.

Sergeant
    Thanks

welcome to the fun of electrical diagnostics, https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/...2013200562.pdf

that is the link to the trouble shooting guide of the model alternator you have,
    https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/...0141104561.pdf
    this is the link to the installation instructions and yes with a 28V/24V only system you "ground the 14V/12V stud" basically the regulator checks for a battery to charge and if it sees a dead short goes oh nothing to do with that then.

check to see that you get 24V at the IGN terminal on the regulator with key on / engine run with out that the regulator wont do anything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mechanicjim For This Useful Post:

NormB (10-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkostoj View Post
    I had a friend do the install I thought it was strange he had a jumper wire from the front of the voltage regulator where it had a 14v output lug and grounded it to the case...he said that's what the instructions specified.s-l1600.jpg
    thatís an N3135 Regulator. You DO NOT hook up the 14v stud to ground with that regulator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ddk2001 For This Useful Post:

darkostoj (10-23-2019), NormB (10-23-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ddk2001 View Post
    that’s an N3135 Regulator. You DO NOT hook up the 14v stud to ground with that regulator.
    Think it broke something??

Thanks

Think it broke something??
    no idea. I installed the same 200a with the N3135 and did not connect the ground (per the instructions). Everything worked fine - and I later hooked up a separate 12v supply for accessories and all worked fine. I would disconnect it and check again.

4 Star General Retiredwarhorses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 789 Posts

The 14v tap is grounded to the Gen case per the TM for detuned truck applications...meaning, if your truck is not an A2, it gets grounded.
    now...I’ve installed tons of these gens in A0/A1 trucks, I’ve never grounded the 14v tap and they work just fine.
    Retired War Horses Restoration

"Where HMMWV's is All We Do"

A Veteran owned business

www.RetiredWarHorses.com

So many HMMWVís I lost count years ago....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredwarhorses For This Useful Post:

owensexport (10-23-2019)

Thanks

I've lost it since then, but I had posted the exact text on here somewhere... I contacted CE Niehoff about this very discrepancy by email. In no uncertain terms, they said to leave the 14V terminal unconnected if you are using the 28V side only. Grounding to the casing with a jumper is NOT the current recommended practice, again per CE Niehoff. Try disconnecting that terminal and report back to us on if the alternator begins charging. Note: the alternator may not engage to start charging right away. Let the engine run for 2 minutes before concluding that it isn't charging (mine usually kicks on in less than 30 seconds, based on watching the voltage gauge jump after starting).
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Fox View Post
    I've lost it since then, but I had posted the exact text on here somewhere... I contacted CE Niehoff about this very discrepancy by email. In no uncertain terms, they said to leave the 14V terminal unconnected if you are using the 28V side only. Grounding to the casing with a jumper is NOT the current recommended practice, again per CE Niehoff. Try disconnecting that terminal and report back to us on if the alternator begins charging. Note: the alternator may not engage to start charging right away. Let the engine run for 2 minutes before concluding that it isn't charging (mine usually kicks on in less than 30 seconds, based on watching the voltage gauge jump after starting).
    I charged up the batteries.
    I disconnected the grounding wire at the 14v terminal.
    I verified battery voltage at the 28v+ stud (on generator) and the IGN terminal (on regulator)

I started the truck and let it ran for about 5 minutes. The voltage climbed to about 24.50 and stayed there. I turned the lights on and it dropped to around 24.30 and stayed.

It sounds like there is something wrong with either the generator or regulator....correct? I think I must have ruled everything else out.

Thanks

I charged up the batteries.
    I disconnected the grounding wire at the 14v terminal.
    I verified battery voltage at the 28v+ stud (on generator) and the IGN terminal (on regulator)

I started the truck and let it ran for about 5 minutes. The voltage climbed to about 24.50 and stayed there. I turned the lights on and it dropped to around 24.30 and stayed.

It sounds like there is something wrong with either the generator or regulator....correct? I think I must have ruled everything else out.
    You're probably right. Here's the Niehoff troubleshooting guide: https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/...2013200562.pdf
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

Thanks

Niehoff engineer told me..Regulators with a date below 2012 get grounded at 14v tap.
    2012 and up don't get grounded.
    The earlier ones I have, have a round yellow insulator at stud....the 2012 and Up have a square yellow insulator at stud, and also 4 screws around it.
    86 hmmwv
    M1102
    M101A2
    Lots a hmmwv parts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 86humv For This Useful Post:

Coug (10-24-2019)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast