• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed a 200 amp alternator and having charging issues now.

darkostoj

Hey guys!

I had a 60 amp alternator that ended up overcharging the whole vehicle and fried the glow plug module, which then fried the glow plugs.

I bought a new glow plug module, glow plugs, and a new 200 amp alternator with the voltage regulator mounted on top.

The glow plug issue is fixed, but now I'm having an issue charging, and was wondering if anyone can recommend ways to start diagnosing the problem.

I had a friend do the install I thought it was strange he had a jumper wire from the front of the voltage regulator where it had a 14v output lug and grounded it to the case...he said that's what the instructions specified.

I bought it off eBay, and this was the picture of it.

s-l1600.jpg

I checked the output of the generator wire and I was at 23.08 volts and it would go down as the engine kept running. So, I'm assuming the generator has no output.

So are we convinced its the Voltage regulator? I can't believe how expensive all this 200 amp stuff is...wishing I stayed with the 60 amp stuff now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mechanicjim

welcome to the fun of electrical diagnostics, https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG0017B_uid882013200562.pdf

that is the link to the trouble shooting guide of the model alternator you have,
https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/II225A_uid6920141104561.pdf
this is the link to the installation instructions and yes with a 28V/24V only system you "ground the 14V/12V stud" basically the regulator checks for a battery to charge and if it sees a dead short goes oh nothing to do with that then.

check to see that you get 24V at the IGN terminal on the regulator with key on / engine run with out that the regulator wont do anything.

Ddk2001

I had a friend do the install I thought it was strange he had a jumper wire from the front of the voltage regulator where it had a 14v output lug and grounded it to the case...he said that's what the instructions specified.View attachment 780478
that’s an N3135 Regulator. You DO NOT hook up the 14v stud to ground with that regulator.

Attachments

Ddk2001

:-| Think it broke something??
no idea. I installed the same 200a with the N3135 and did not connect the ground (per the instructions). Everything worked fine - and I later hooked up a separate 12v supply for accessories and all worked fine. I would disconnect it and check again.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 14v tap is grounded to the Gen case per the TM for detuned truck applications...meaning, if your truck is not an A2, it gets grounded.
now...I’ve installed tons of these gens in A0/A1 trucks, I’ve never grounded the 14v tap and they work just fine.

Wire Fox

I've lost it since then, but I had posted the exact text on here somewhere... I contacted CE Niehoff about this very discrepancy by email. In no uncertain terms, they said to leave the 14V terminal unconnected if you are using the 28V side only. Grounding to the casing with a jumper is NOT the current recommended practice, again per CE Niehoff. Try disconnecting that terminal and report back to us on if the alternator begins charging. Note: the alternator may not engage to start charging right away. Let the engine run for 2 minutes before concluding that it isn't charging (mine usually kicks on in less than 30 seconds, based on watching the voltage gauge jump after starting).

darkostoj

I've lost it since then, but I had posted the exact text on here somewhere... I contacted CE Niehoff about this very discrepancy by email. In no uncertain terms, they said to leave the 14V terminal unconnected if you are using the 28V side only. Grounding to the casing with a jumper is NOT the current recommended practice, again per CE Niehoff. Try disconnecting that terminal and report back to us on if the alternator begins charging. Note: the alternator may not engage to start charging right away. Let the engine run for 2 minutes before concluding that it isn't charging (mine usually kicks on in less than 30 seconds, based on watching the voltage gauge jump after starting).
I charged up the batteries.
I disconnected the grounding wire at the 14v terminal.
I verified battery voltage at the 28v+ stud (on generator) and the IGN terminal (on regulator)

I started the truck and let it ran for about 5 minutes. The voltage climbed to about 24.50 and stayed there. I turned the lights on and it dropped to around 24.30 and stayed.

It sounds like there is something wrong with either the generator or regulator....correct? I think I must have ruled everything else out.

Wire Fox

I charged up the batteries.
I disconnected the grounding wire at the 14v terminal.
I verified battery voltage at the 28v+ stud (on generator) and the IGN terminal (on regulator)

I started the truck and let it ran for about 5 minutes. The voltage climbed to about 24.50 and stayed there. I turned the lights on and it dropped to around 24.30 and stayed.

It sounds like there is something wrong with either the generator or regulator....correct? I think I must have ruled everything else out.
You're probably right. Here's the Niehoff troubleshooting guide: https://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG0017B_uid882013200562.pdf

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Niehoff engineer told me..Regulators with a date below 2012 get grounded at 14v tap.
2012 and up don't get grounded.
The earlier ones I have, have a round yellow insulator at stud....the 2012 and Up have a square yellow insulator at stud, and also 4 screws around it.

darkostoj

To follow up with the problem, I installed a new regulator and the Truck is back to charging. The one i got is pretty fancy with a couple lights on the front. a 28v Light and a 14v Light.

I noticed the Volt Gauge is wonky and it will go all over the place if I tap a couple times. Sometimes it will be all the way to the left, and sometimes it will be at the proper line in the green.

Time for a new gauge?

Wire Fox

To follow up with the problem, I installed a new regulator and the Truck is back to charging. The one i got is pretty fancy with a couple lights on the front. a 28v Light and a 14v Light.

I noticed the Volt Gauge is wonky and it will go all over the place if I tap a couple times. Sometimes it will be all the way to the left, and sometimes it will be at the proper line in the green.

Time for a new gauge?
Start with just cleaning up the contacts on the gauges/checking the wires for internal breakage. If you can't get good contact in cleaning up the Packard connectors and the common ground and the failure isn't occurring while wiggling the wires around, it's pretty safe to assume it's time to spend $30 for a new gauge.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it's showing either nothing (all the way to the left) or charging properly, might be a bad connection somewhere.
I don't really trust the stock gauge all that much except as a general reference, and I needed to add a couple USB ports (for dash camera, eventually).

Found this on Amazon, have it sitting up above the wiper motor at the moment (loosely, not mounted yet). I have a battery disconnect so no worries about it draining them down when not running the truck

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGe...2G3AXVZQG1P&psc=1&refRID=Q7JJR1GKF2G3AXVZQG1P

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks