• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Official '08 SS Ga Rally info thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, How are we all going to find each at the off road park? (pretty big place) Will we be gathering near an entrance or do we need a map or signs to get together there? Maybe a GPS location where the group is gathering could help some.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: The Official

Stretch44875 said:
The website waiver form says no riding after 5 pm. Is the rules different for non atv's? Night rides are one of the fun things, it's great wondering about after dark.

Is there electric where you are setting up the main area? How far away is the campground/showers/restrooms? Will you be able to camp in a camper in the area you are setting up?

Dennis
Per the owner of Durhamtown in an email:

"you guys will be exempt from the 5:00 pm deadline and I do have a place where you can ride at night if you like.

There will be power within 500' of the main base camp.

Restrooms/a shower at the entrance of the field across the road where you will be camping also 5 showers/ bathrooms behind the lodge for campers also there will be 2 porta potties in your camp area.

Yes on sleeping in the truck just the $15 camp fee for up to 3 people

thanks Mike"

Stretch, that cover everything?

Thanks guys, looking forward to the event.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: The Official

Clinto, can you ascertain how far the cabins are from base camp and if we can move between them? Considering a cabin but need to be able to get from base camp to cabin. Also, do you think there is any possibility of 75 degree weather at night, I need to plan for a/c if so. I did look at the previous years weather. Maybe even a sketch of the basic layout for us vs camping area. Sounds like these folks are really giving us a warm welcome, we must be sure to leave a good impression.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
doghead said:
Clinto, How are we all going to find each at the off road park? (pretty big place) Will we be gathering near an entrance or do we need a map or signs to get together there? Maybe a GPS location where the group is gathering could help some.
I will probably put up a few signs, but I think we will be able to find one another pretty quickly...... It's hard to describe, but when you see the layout of the facilities, it will make sense.

Recovry4x4 said:
Clinto, can you ascertain how far the cabins are from base camp and if we can move between them? Considering a cabin but need to be able to get from base camp to cabin. Also, do you think there is any possibility of 75 degree weather at night, I need to plan for a/c if so. I did look at the previous years weather. Maybe even a sketch of the basic layout for us vs camping area. Sounds like these folks are really giving us a warm welcome, we must be sure to leave a good impression.
I do not know how far the cabins are from the base camp, but we should have no issues traveling between them...... I will find out.

And I am going to get us a map of the entire facility which I will scan and post for everyone.

I am no weatherman, but I strongly suspect 75° at night not to happen. That late in October should have some nice evening weather.

Mike, the owner of Durhamtown has been very good to us. I am confident the event will be a good one and I definitely want to stay on his good side so that we can enjoy his hospitality if we come back next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pouring over the Durhamtown site. It seems that you wouldn't need a reservation if you were doing the primitive camping and park fees. Since we can camp near the group if wanted, will we still be able to access the showers as long as we are paid campers? I'm thinking yes since Mike is doing what he can to accommodate us.

jblack6527

I might be able to come down for this also, I'll hopefully have my deuce then, as long as I can afford the diesel. I'll probably be doing the sleeping in the truck or tent thing.

Blythewoodjoe

Well, here's some good news I hope. If you are passing through SC on the way to the rally I will keep an eye on fuel prices and post the best one's here that week. I saw diesel for $3.95 cash today in Columbia. Never thought I would be pleased to see that. We'll see what they are in two months.

Joe Trapp

Capt.Marion

Offroadfabworks said:
gas is down to $3.30 here and diesel is $4.09.. they are getting us suckered to think its low and be happy. but we still over $1 higher then last year. but thats my 2cents
Buy it low, stack it high! It works with ammo, so just fill up jerry cans and do the same with fuel. If anything, next time you are in a state with high fuel prices (5.17 or so in NY) you can sell it for cheap and still make a profit

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on departing for the GA rally with every drop of fuel I use already onboard. With todays prices I can't imagine filling it up from vapors. Heck, just filled up the burb yesterday and dropped $116 and the tank was at 1/4 when I started.

butch atkins

GA RALLY

hey yall,trying really hard to make it happen for my m211 to make the rally,if you been reading my posts all i seem to be doing is the OD TANGO DANCE, 1 step forward,2 steps back,3 months behind schedule,got hit by a car while walking in wally world (wal-mart) parking lot 04-19-08,been out of work and unable to work on truck,new air pak,wheel cyls,rubber brake hoses,master cyl,carb kit gas tank fuel pump,etc,etc,front sheet metal off of truck.s#*! scatterd all over garage and concrete pad,took truck apart in march to restore and 2 wks later 74 yr old woman hits me from behind,never saw it coming,anyway F#*! Nationwide,they damn sure aint on my side,will be at rally even if it means driving dodge ram,will be good to attatch a face to the posts on this site,have a lot of spare parts for m135 m211 trucks if anyone is interested,looking forward to meeting some of you

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: GA RALLY

butch atkins said:
hey yall,trying really hard to make it happen for my m211 to make the rally,if you been reading my posts all i seem to be doing is the OD TANGO DANCE, 1 step forward,2 steps back,3 months behind schedule,got hit by a car while walking in wally world (wal-mart) parking lot 04-19-08,been out of work and unable to work on truck,new air pak,wheel cyls,rubber brake hoses,master cyl,carb kit gas tank fuel pump,etc,etc,front sheet metal off of truck.s#*! scatterd all over garage and concrete pad,took truck apart in march to restore and 2 wks later 74 yr old woman hits me from behind,never saw it coming,anyway F#*! Nationwide,they dang sure aint on my side,will be at rally even if it means driving dodge ram,will be good to attatch a face to the posts on this site,have a lot of spare parts for m135 m211 trucks if anyone is interested,looking forward to meeting some of you
NO insurance company is on your side when it comes time to paying out claims.

Butch, even if your Deuce isn't ready by the time of the Rally, we would love to have you show up and hang out with us. MV not a necessity for attendance at the Ga. Rally!

Hope your feeling better.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: GA RALLY

Gentlemen, I would like to ask if anyone plans on bringing a wrecker (or crane) this year.

Last year, we had Ron's outstanding M819 but he may be unable to make it this year due to work obligations. And we are probably going to be in need of a wrecker for the lifting of a multifuel in a can and some M274 Mules, so can anyone bring one?

Offroadfabworks? Anyone? Hello?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks