• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Official '08 SS Ga Rally info thread

AMGeneral

Ok,the Mack is loaded with parts,tools cooking gear and fuel and towing a trailer. Final check for stuff I'm supposed to bring for people....

Big towbar for gimpy to pick up
Fuel tank for Offy
Spotlight mount off 10 ton for Clinto
Metal 105 bows for Butch Adkins

is that it?

Blythewoodjoe

Oh where did the time go. I am unprepared as usual. I did notice the forcast is for some wet stuff on Friday and Saturday. Therefore I have pretty much decided to set up a GP small to put my "store" under and to have somewhere to entertain the little one. Which brings up the next question: I read there was power 500 feet away, does that mean we can bring 500 feet of drop cord and have some power or is there no way to run a cord from the power source to the base camp? In other words, is there a road between the two places or do we not have permission to pull cords. I have cords, so that's not a problem. I plan to bring my inverter and a TV. I asked the little one what we would do if it rained and she said "play ball and watch Star Wars". So there could be a 12 hour Star Wars marathon if it rains too much. The GP small should be great for that.

The GP small would be for sale on Sunday real cheap, no poles or stakes included. I didn't visit the base camp last year so if anybody wants to fill us in on what to expect there, please go for it. I figured with a 4 year girl in my group I needed a place to relaxe in case you guys get too wild in the GP medium :lol:

Also, what are the rules on firearms? I will probably have a pistol with me and I might bring a rifle for the range. I might spend some time reading on the web site later but if anybody wants to share their knoledge, please do.

Joe Trapp

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Blythewoodjoe said:
I read there was power 500 feet away, does that mean we can bring 500 feet of drop cord and have some power or is there no way to run a cord from the power source to the base camp? In other words, is there a road between the two places or do we not have permission to pull cords.

The GP small would be for sale on Sunday real cheap, no poles or stakes included. I didn't visit the base camp last year so if anybody wants to fill us in on what to expect there, please go for it. I figured with a 4 year girl in my group I needed a place to relaxe in case you guys get too wild in the GP medium :lol:

Also, what are the rules on firearms? I will probably have a pistol with me and I might bring a rifle for the range. I might spend some time reading on the web site later but if anybody wants to share their knoledge, please do.

Joe Trapp
I believe there are power outlets near us, within about 300' on our side of the road, so as long as you bring maybe 4 good reels of cord, you should be good.

Rules on firearms? I do not remember reading any rules on their site regarding firearms, I think even automatic stuff is allowed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm committed now, truck is mostly loaded and they sucked the money out of my acct for the cabin. Few stops on the way but should be in the neighborhood Thursday Afternnon

oilcan

HeadWizard said:
Could probably also use a M1009 rear seat if anyone has one as it appears that I just bought a M1009 without one.

Any help appreciated.

Don
I should have enough room to load the spare 1009 seat with the rest of my junk. It's not the nicest piece, but it should work for you. All trades considered!

Gimp helped me and pops pick up the two 818's yesterday and I'll be driving the nice one to the rally with a borrowed 105 in tow. Gotta continue loading in a few minuites.

GamaGoatGirl

In Virginia - so excited about the rally in Georgia I can't sleep! Met up with Maddawg yesterday to retrieve a cover, heading out to see CraneTruck this morning and then on to Clinto's! Ate at Clinto's favorite fast food stop yesterday - check out the picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24071492@N00/2961307941/
Spoke with CCatlett and Gimpy yesterday - having a few difficulties but heading towards Junkyard Wars Crusher's place today then on to Georgia!
See you soon!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amy and Eric (doghead), just left my place on their way to clinto's rally.

They visited for a couple of hours and we all took turns driving the 757 in a nearby field. Great fun, some video was recorded too.
Super people! Hope you all have a great time at the rally.

Attachments

poppop

Ya-hoo!!!! its on. Mostly loaded and ready. Have to re-hook the Duece in the morning, check everything, load a couple cans of fuel because I almost ran out in Fl because of the remoteness of the place. Get One of my guys to steer the duece to the pavement and go. I am raosting peanuts as I type, have washed syrup bottles to give away, and will have some hot boiled peanuts for the base camp. On board I have 60 complete shelter halves to give away compliments of my friend bob130ab. I also have some vinal equipment bags free for the taking if anyone is interested. New and still in plastic bags. SEE YA'LL THERE.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Me and Freightrain made the final additions to our grand scheme...we will be leaving Anniston, AL early Friday morning.....we will hold at Temple, Ga to wait out Hotlanta rush hour. If anybody wants to join up with us there we will be leaving about 10 AM Ga time for the final push to the rally. I will have pleanty of trade goods, stuff for sale and spare fuel plus tools and equipment in case anyone needs to do repair work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK forlks! Just got back from one heckofa trail ride. Left out of the camping area around 1500 and returned at 1945 hrs. Let me preface this by saying the red GA clay is slicker than snot after a decent rain. The first part of the trail was interesting. Some decent hillage and many tight spots requiring folding the mirrors. Watching 13500# of truck slide sideways while barely moving was a tribute to how slick it is. The second section was a bit more challenging. There were many larger hills and 3 very off camber switchback ravines to cross. There were a few stucks where trucks just slid sideways right down the side of the hill. Recovery was even more challenging but we were able to come home with everyone intact. It took some intense driving and serious commitment to overcome some of the obstacles. Sorry, I have no pics but there were tons of pics and video taken so hold your horses. Wahoo!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
kenny, i can just imagine the fun of a 36000# 819 in the mud if a 13000# deuce having this much mud fun

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, wouda been quite a challenge getting getting the 819 through what we went through. Ron, wished you coulda made it brother.

poppop

HOME!! Man that was fun!! We had a great time with some great folks. I had problems getting there as I missed 3 turns and the Duece refused to tow on dirt. Had to drive 25 miles the first time to find a big enough paved lot to turn around in and then 25 miles back. Last two times just changed the road I came in on. Kenny and I convoyed the first 100 miles today as he was going to Papercu's to pick up some stuff and the route was the same as mine. We parted two hours ago and went our separate ways. He is camping at Wayne's tonight. We did not get to shoot skeet as the plantation had already booked the range to a group that included Richard Petty. The range was at our camp so some of our members got to visit with Richard and probably got some autographs. Some of the group also stopped and checked out our vehicles and visited. I would like to thank Mike, the owner of Durhamtown for his hospitality. He came down each evening and spent an hour or so visiting with us around the campfire. He is a great guy and has lots of stories as this land has been in his family since the revolutionary war. Durhamtown covers 8000 acres and is filled with tracks and trails for all types of off road vehicles. We had guides with us front and rear and when we got stuck in the slick switch-backs at almost dark on Friday Mike himself and several more employees came out to assist. Mike really enjoyed watching us take these gaint trucks thru this mess and was impressed with the trucks and with the drivers abilties to get them thru. I hope there will be pictures for you to see. There was three spots that were so banked and so slick that after the first two trucks failed and had to be winched out we came up with a plan. Low range, second gear, full throtlle, front axle engauged with wheels turned full left climbing the bank. With the momentum and the wheels climbing you could get past the bad spot before the truck could slide off the trail. But the rear of the truck would slide down and you wound up bouncing off the bank on the left side while trying to correct the steering. Saturday was drier and the trails less slick. But after playing on the manmade hills the next section was so rough that three of us declined to go thru. Kenny was loaded and this spot would have jarred his load all over the place. My back could not take the bouncing and clinto's truck is a dump and he was afraid of flexing the chassis to much. Five vehecles made it thru, the M37, the Gamma-goat, and the 1009, although the 1009 got stuck the first time because Jerry was playing One duece made it with a tremendues amount of flex and the M818 made it like a Pro. They then took us to the Grand Canyon. It had 4 trails up the embankment. One possible, one probally, one I dought it, and one no way. We all made the probally but only the goat made the I dought it. The goat and the M37 did the articulating trail on the way out but the rest of us just watched.

GamaGoatGirl

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Visit at Crane Truck

Thanks for posting! I really did enjoy your company and the invitation to test drive the 757 is open to any visiting steelsoldier, conditions permitting, of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks