• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank salvage yard in Iraq.

EZFEED

WOW neat stuff Lonesome! Those yellow things remind me of a NBC filter I once saw on a Polish APC but I do not know if thats what those are. Neat looking though. Thats ridiculous to see those filters discarded like that, I wonder if you could bring those back to your unit for reuse like those nuts and bolts?????

That cooler and brakes are a sweet score! Are you able to pull that backplate off or will you just cut it off where its welded? Nice find! :D

Were all those AKM mags crushed? Keep a lookout for any of them with a Fleur De Lis on the bottom sides near the floorplate. Those are Bosnian mags and every so often turn up in these piles of demilled weapons. You can bring them home and sell them here for a pretty penny to collectors. One of my buddies just did this on Gunbroker after returnig home, made a decent chunk just on old rare mags like those and the old russian slabsides.

Lonesome715

I already took a few guys off my labor crew out there and I had them knelt down picking up washers. I got several containers of them I use a lot of washers on my biulds. I am still considering going back for some of the bolts. I would like to gather up those filters, but I would hate to go through the expense of sending them home then be unable to use them.

DId either one of those IP's look like something you would need? There are some more trucks out there that might have what you need, but they are buried pretty good. So I am going to wait for it to cool off before I try to get to them.

Lonesome715

Oh yeah, the whole thing will unbolt including the caliper bracket. I am going to try and get a few sets. There are a lot of those 2005 and up 3/4 ton Chevys out there.

EZFEED

Good deal, It's amazing what good nuts and bolts cost and that is definitley a good save! We had the same thing happen at one of our mechanic shops here. One of the mechanics bumped into the bins of allen bolts and washers with the forklift and sent the whole thing crashing. The supervisors said for them to just sweep it all up and they would be ordering new stuff by the end of the day so.....as everyone at my work knows I am the oilfield equivalent of Fred Sanford......the guys in the mechanic shop called my office and gave the heads of up and I promptly went over there and cleaned it up! Took me a month to sort it all and store it in my own shop but after I figured it I found that I had collected over $763 is fasteners. :shock: Now that could have been someones paycheck....what a waste! :x I'm not unhappy I got it though! LOL! :lol:
I wouldn't hesitate on the bolts, thats untapped resources just sitting out there waiting to be used!

Nope sorry but I dont think I could use any of those IP's but I was thinking there might be something in your area that those filters could be used on? Maybe the perkins website has something it would cross reference with and you could find out if it can be used on some of our equipment over there? Shame to see new stuff wasted like that....was that something our guys dumped or the Iraqis?

Lonesome715

Dude, I am also that guy. I have a butt load of fasteners now that I use. I hate running to the store every time I need a bolt. So I simply collect them when I can. The only issue is the cost to send them home. They get heavy and costly. You should see the large amount of bushings I have sent home. I load up MRE boxes with them because they get thrown away. My wife is getting sick of them showing up.

EZFEED

Lonesome715 said:
Oh yeah, the whole thing will unbolt including the caliper bracket. I am going to try and get a few sets. There are a lot of those 2005 and up 3/4 ton Chevys out there.
Sounds like a plan!!!!! [thumbzup] Waste not want not! 8)

EZFEED

Lonesome715 said:
Dude, I am also that guy. I have a butt load of fasteners now that I use. I hate running to the store every time I need a bolt. So I simply collect them when I can. The only issue is the cost to send them home. They get heavy and costly. You should see the large amount of bushings I have sent home. I load up MRE boxes with them because they get thrown away. My wife is getting sick of them showing up.
HAHAHAA! Well the first time something breaks and it requires somehig from one of your boxes she will change her tune about that! :lol: Theres never such thing as too much when it comes to that and hardware stores are always itching to buy stuff at lower prices from someone direct so you could very well end up making quite a bit of cha-ching reselling what others discarded. I did this with a 2 pallets worth of 1"-1.5" sheetmetal screws that my company threw away after building a new faciltiy. Guidrys Hardware store STILL has about half of that lot of screws I sold them a couple years back and they are STILL thanking me, especially since the price of everything has gone up so much.

Lonesome715

Some of those trucks are shot up pretty good. But the more I look at them, the more I find that is worth pulling. I think something is wrong with me.

EZFEED

Lonesome715 said:
DId either one of those IP's look like something you would need? There are some more trucks out there that might have what you need, but they are buried pretty good. So I am going to wait for it to cool off before I try to get to them.
Sounds like a good plan, that will be allot easier for you and esures the creepy crawly things that bite and sting dont get you!

As for the truck parts the part(s) I need will be sopecific to the PV3S so if there are none then thats cool. Iraq did buy allot of PV3S's but I know that allot are still in use too.

EZFEED

Lonesome715 said:
Some of those trucks are shot up pretty good. But the more I look at them, the more I find that is worth pulling. I think something is wrong with me.
Nahhhh..... If you find somethig you really like thats complete then maybe we can arrange for it to leave on a transport/cargo ship for you. I have lots of friends that are in the shipping buisness! :wink: As long as it doesn't have guns it is restriction free, anything with weapons will need a ATF-F-6 and if it's U.S. made then it's next to impossible to get back in. If you find weapons that you want to have sent back home that are title 1 then i can get you squared away with paperwork for that, if they are restricted then we can do the paperwork and you will have to demilitarize them before they can be UPS or Fed-Ex'ed out.

Lonesome715

Well, that is the issue. Some of the frames and other carcases are difficult to identify. There is one that I tried to get to that I think may be one of those trucks. But, the cab is gone from the winshield forward. It has a big in line engine, but I cannot get close enough for more details right now.

EZFEED

One of the 12.7mm DShK 38/46's that I got out of Poland for about $250 each brandy new 8)

* note, I have a semi auto conversion for these and they can be made to fire the U.S. .50BMG (12.7X99) cartridge 8) *

Attachments

EZFEED

Look at the axles if you can see them. The PV3S has unmistakable axles, you can see them in the other topic I posted for my truck. Also, the engine is aircooled and looks like a big turbine.

Lonesome715

I doubt I can get something off base and shipped. If I could, one of thos personel carriers would be my choice. There are some small anti air craft gun systems that would be nice to have in a collection. But again, I would have no idea how to get them out of here. That would require connections I may never have.

The axles are gone from that truck. I noticed yours has what appears to be portal boxes on them. If I found a set of those, I would have to find a way to get them home.

EZFEED

You can, my buddies do it all the time and just send it to me since i have the connections at the port here. The biggest gun one of the guys shhipped was a real Nazi German 2cm Flak 30 (without the mount) that he found in a weapons cache. We happened to have the demil for it and he just towed it to wherever he found a torch, cut the reciever to specs, I faxed him the F-6, and he boxed it all up in several boxes and shipped it out to me. I recieved it and when he got home he put it together and has it in his living room now 8)
You might not be able to do a cannon or anything bigger than a 14.5mm KMT because you'd have to leave to a shipping location for that but if you have Fed-Ex, UPS, mail, etc you can do it with smaller stuff. Just be sure to clear it with whoevers in charge first.

Yep mine are portal axles and I was thinking it would be a good way to identify it but I see that wont work now :lol:
Are you looking for a set of axles? I dont know how heavy they are but I know a guy that has a set of Pinzgauer portals that he took off a junk truck. I can see if hes still got them if youre interested?

Lonesome715

Well hell, there are similar guns all over that yard. Do you have a photograph of what he sent home? My issue is, I do not know where to start from here. I know there will be people that will tell me I cannot do it and may even try to arrest me. Force protect is what I do over here, so I know how it will be viewed.

EZFEED

Heres the exact thing he has but without mount of course. He couldnt get that because it wasn't boxable and said that he could not leave his base. Really nice museum piece but it had a slightly bent barrel which we had to straighten.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_cm_Flakvierling

Dont do something to get arrested! LOL! :lol: Just calmly tell them you are in the process of getting the permits and licenses and see what they tell you. All that is required is an approved F-6 for military personnel (you are correct?) and I can help you square that. It takes 3 weeks to clear. After that you will recieve a permit, a demil letter with instructions, and a couple F-6A's. If you are sending to your home it will be held at your local customs house and someone wil have to be there to recieve it and sign for it. It will be a duty free shipment so there should be no additional cost, only the F-6A will have to be signed by customs and a copy left with them and you will mail your copy stating that you recieved the goods and they were in order back to ATF.
If you find any bolt action, semi auto, handguns, or any other title 1 guns that meet sporting criteria (and lots of ex-military do) they can be shipped undemilled/uncut for your collection.

Be aware, any machinegun or non sporting weapon that you import will be subject to the new rules concerning imported barrels.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/112205openletter.pdf

Therefore you will have to demil the barrel on weapons like PKM's, AKM's, DShK's, KMT's, any and all fully automatic arms, etc
If you find a bunch of Enfields, garands, SVT-40's, Mosin Nagants, 1911's, etc then you are exempt from that ruling.

Lonesome715

Okay, I see what you are saying and I also see a problem. No, I am no longer in the military. I am over here as a civilian. What you say may be true, but in the field that I work in I can tell you there is a lot of paranoia and I guarantee that once I start asking questions I will hit brick walls. “No” is an easier answer to give than “let me look into that for you”. If you could provide some documentation or other information I can take with me, I am sure I will have more luck then.

EZFEED

Here is the ATF F-6 that I use. Yours (if military) will be slightly different but thats no worry cause I can fill it for you and send it to you to be signed.
http://www.titleii.com/pdf/form6.pdf

Here is a copy of the approved F-6 for my truck.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/EZPLDvK3.jpg

Here is an example of an ATF issued PKM demil
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/EZPKM3.jpg

GSh23 23mm autocannon that I got. (by the way, it is incorrectly marked M53/59 because they mistakenley sent this to me the first time I applied for the Jesterka, go figure!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Scan003.jpg

ATF F-6A that the recieving person will have to complete. (if you send it just before you leave to come home you can usually catch it yourself)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/EZF6A.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks