• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank salvage yard in Iraq.

Lonesome715

I will hopefully be out there today pulling the brakes off that truck. While I am there I will get some information off that weapon. I am getting excited about this. I told my wife I might be sending an AA gun home and her reaction was funny. By the way, I have my own forklift and operator, so this should be some what easy.

EZFEED

Cool deal, the sucker would look good in your front yard I bet....I should know...I have a 20mm in mine! :lol:

Get the info and send some detailed pics when you can, after that I will get the paperwork squared for you. 8)

Lonesome715

Well, I had an eventful morning. Pictured below are the tools they allowed me to sign out. Giving me a set of tools like this is like putting a priest in charge of a day care. The brakes I wanted to get are a lot harder to get off then I thought. I will have to go back and pull the whole rear end then take it some where I can work on it over time. My forklift broke while moving another vehicle out of the way. So I had the operator take it to the shop. We might try again tomorrow morning. But, at least it was not a total waste. I did get the Hydroboost pulled off and I took it to DS Maintenance and cleaned it up. That will be in my baggage when I go home on R&R. Photographs of the gun I want are soon to follow.

Attachments

Lonesome715

Man I like the tuna and noddles.

Here is the gun I think I will try for. The other one is the one I would like to get. It would be pretty cool to tow it around to shows. The personel carrier is somehting I wish I could get home in a few boxes.

Attachments

EZFEED

Very nice, yeah the ZPU-4 would be the best but hmmmm might be a little difficult to box that up LOL! Next time you go back, could you check the right side of the reciever right there by the ammo box cradle and see what the manufacture date and manufacturer is.

EZFEED

The KMT is the 14.5mm machinegun that is in that towable mount! :D
I saw the fore and mid clamps open and figured you'd taken the gun from the setup.

EZFEED

It'd be a good idea if you could, just divorce it out of there an then start gutting it. Pull the backplate off and dump the internals and save them somewhere. Next take the barrel out of the shroud and then take the shroud loose from the reciever. The booster on the muzzle (cone) will just unscrew off.

Attachments

EZFEED

I need to know what the manufacture is too, it can be a Degtyarev manufacture, a Cugir (which is polish), etc. Lots of other licensed copies out there and I need to know who exactly and the serial number/manufacture code.

Heres a cutaway of the KMT so you can see how it strips.

Attachments

Lonesome715

Um, I cannot get into that on a public forum. I do work for a private company, but what I do is sensitive in nature. I'll shoot you a PM in a little while.

Lonesome715

I am going to try and make another trip out there today. I will take some water with me to wash away the dirt and see if I can locate the information you need.

EZFEED

Sounds like a plan! [thumbzup]

Normally it will be on the link ejection side (chute) stamped somewhere on there. If not there it'll probably be on the topcover or backplate. There are no dataplates on these types of weapons, just stampings.

If you think you can break down the mount then you could possibly start shipping that. I seem to recall that most of it is riveted together so you might have to take an angle grinder to get the big parts apart. Maybe not however....different manufacturers assemble using different methods.

Be damn sure you have the bolt fully forward and the striker popped when you attempt to remove the backplate. If you dont you will have a fairly large coil spring in tension and it will shove the backplate back at you and damage the retainer in the process. You'll know if it is, it will be hard as *$^% to take off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks