• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank salvage yard in Iraq.

kcimb

EZFEED said:
Sounds like a plan! [thumbzup]

Normally it will be on the link ejection side (chute) stamped somewhere on there. If not there it'll probably be on the topcover or backplate. There are no dataplates on these types of weapons, just stampings.

If you think you can break down the mount then you could possibly start shipping that. I seem to recall that most of it is riveted together so you might have to take an angle grinder to get the big parts apart. Maybe not however....different manufacturers assemble using different methods.

Be dang sure you have the bolt fully forward and the striker popped when you attempt to remove the backplate. If you dont you will have a fairly large coil spring in tension and it will shove the backplate back at you and damage the retainer in the process. You'll know if it is, it will be hard as *$^% to take off.
Ever pull the backplate off an m2hb with the charging handle to the rear?

:shock:

Lonesome715

I have heard stories, but never seen it myself.

Well, not much today either. I just went out there to pull the brakes and get the information off the weapon. The brakes are kicking my butt. Being since I have never messed with AAM axles or these new brake assemblies I have to learn as I go. All I got today was a rotor and caliper. We had to leave because they were closing the only road in or out for repairs. I did not have time to even look at that AA gun.

Lonesome715

The breaker bar will not squeeze in there. I used it on the other nuts and it worked fine. A wrench will work but I do not have a 24MM and I doubt it would brake it anyway. It took a lot to break the other three with the breaker bar.

EZFEED

With all of the barrels around there I bet there is one that would fit on the end of a pipe wrech (if you have one) and could be used as a cheater.

Sounds like you need a hammer or the blue wrench to me. Do you have a blue wrench (torch) available?

How bout a nice big ball peen? If you have that then find a piece of pipe or metal that you can fit in there and rest it on one of the flats of the bolt that's stuck. Whack it several times in as many places as you can and them immedeatley put the wrench on it and see it it'll budge. Heavy impact is almost as good as a blue wrench and so what if you break the heads off, that just makes removal easier.

DONT GIVE UP!!!!!! :D

Lonesome715

I'll be back the the corect tools once I get them. A torch will not work because I need the nut ans stud that is holding me up. If I can get a 24MM wrench, I am sure I can get the leverage I need with the forks on the fork lift.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are just trying to get the nut smoking hot to break the rust bond, not to cut it off. A rosebud tip works well for larger fasteners. I've used the gas ax (OA torch) to free up lug nuts, deuce door hinges, 2" pipe plugs in an air tank, etc... It works great. Usually you can give the wrench or ratchet a few whacks with the hammer after heating the nut and bolt and it will break free. Just don't forget and stick the hot nut to your arm after you get it free!

A half gallon of penetrating oil would help too. :)

Lonesome715

They are not really rusty. these are almost new trucks in a very dry climate. The are just torqued on there real good. That and I have been spoiled by air tools for quite a while. I wish I did not forget me camera in my office this morning. I am sure a photograph would clear this up.

kcimb

EZFEED said:
I need to know what the manufacture is too, it can be a Degtyarev manufacture, a Cugir (which is polish), etc. Lots of other licensed copies out there and I need to know who exactly and the serial number/manufacture code.

Heres a cutaway of the KMT so you can see how it strips.
Cugir is a romanian arsenal I beleive though. I collect AKs, some of mine are from the Cugir state arsenals.

kcimb

You're importing a whole AA cannon?

I'm pretty sure the means to make it re-activated exists. Man oh man, that would be sweet for the Knob creek machine gun shoot.

Lonesome715

I will not confirm nor deny my hope of getting it to work again.

Was he demiliing it for a display or the ship it home? I see a lot of them around here used as displays.

kcimb

Lonesome715 said:
I will not confirm nor deny my hope of getting it to work again.

Was he demiliing it for a display or the ship it home? I see a lot of them around here used as displays.
He was demilling it so it would never work again, to be thrown in a scrap heap for destruction at a later date.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks