• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junker to Jewel pics - diamond in the rough...

tractor

either have I bubba

Some people on here have called me the junk collector because they see everything unrestored and as I slowly or quickly restore stuff as time allows they cry because its so nice

Attachments

dma251

Hey, Thanks guys! Here's a photo-collage I made a while back of it. I hope it is big enough.

I'm on to new projects, but I still have a big 40,000 lb. spot in my heart for the big guy.

I'm still around here checking up on my buddies Leonard Jones and Stalwart, so I'm not gone yet!

Attachments

Peepaw

Hey, Thanks guys! Here's a photo-collage I made a while back of it. I hope it is big enough.

I'm on to new projects, but I still have a big 40,000 lb. spot in my heart for the big guy.

I'm still around here checking up on my buddies Leonard Jones and Stalwart, so I'm not gone yet!

Beautiful job sir.:beer:

Barrman

Thanks, the truck on the left is the one I built. I will include the picture here again so you don't have to go back to page 1.

Anyway, I took the labor intensive yet cheaper way of doing it. 4-1/2" composite sanding pads from HF mounted to a small grinder. Went don't to bare metal and bare frame. I still have to do the bed since a M35A2, M105, M105 and M101 came along about the time I was going to finish the truck off. Now that it is getting almost comfortable outside again, I plan to pull the bed, strip it and paint. Gillespie 24052 USMC forrest green is the paint. I got it from Mark at Rapco.

Attachments

srodocker

Barrman that is just incredible on what you did to that truck. did you use the other one as a parts truck? and for sanding you just use like a drill? and some sand pads? i have to sand some spots on my trailer and i used a bit on the drill and thats not working

Barrman

I found the part number for the sanding pads:
94017 from HF.
Also, read this thread about what others have done to sand down.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/19487-5-hours-35-a.html

Thanks again for the compliments. If you go all the way to the frame, do all new fuel lines, brake lines and brake hoses. The air pack and master cylinder are so easy to get at with the cab gone as well. Don't be like me and wait until the cab is back on to do the master/air pack. I did the lines the easy way though.

Barrman

Oh, the other gasser is pretty much as it was in the picture of when I first found them. 6 tires that hold air, missing its winch and bumper, radiator, pto shaft, air pack and 1 little bitty part on the carb I broke off on the good truck pulling the body are all that has been changed.

Kwai actually found a good rust free cab in Kalifornia. Shipping was arranged and that made the project go a lot faster. Here is a shot of what I got to start with. Lots better than the other, but a 1953 cab instead of my stock 1952. The little differences drove me nuts trying to go all 1952.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks