• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junker to Jewel pics - diamond in the rough...

Gunfreak25

Who you callin a newb? :p

Bought at 18 years old in 2010. Shipped from Tucson to Yuma. Pulled and scraped the junkyard 455 Olds and Th400. Installed a like new surplus M998 motor (NA), 700r4, Np231 for a reduction box. Moved original transfer back 5". Original hard top from Alberta. Repaired floor damage from fork lift. New carpeting (still in works), upholstery, rebuilt all wiring, 4 Core Chevelle Radiator, tranny cooler, NOS 24v fuel pump, York 210 for the brakes. Highly modded 7.3 powerstroke fuel bowl filter to work with 6.2 Diesel. Still to do is put new rubber on, 12 new wheel cylinders, finish making brake lines, rebuild AIR PAK, exhaust and finish fabbing up my own linkages. I want it to be 110% good to go when done so I don't have to be putting money into it as a daily driver. When done the engine compartment will be pretty full. I am overlooking nothing and taking my time. :D

When I bought it in 2010 I did not know what a carburetor was and thought mufflers had bearings.

I am 20 now by the way. 21 in July. :beer::beer:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

For 2 years into it I feel I have made great time. I've had many other expenses along the way but was determined not to let life get in the way of my dream which was to drive a Deuce I built myself daily around town. Couldn't have done it alone. Course my buddy weiser helped too. :D

I work out of home doing gun work so if anyone would like to see the GMC get done faster, send some work my way!! Tom's Stocksmithing

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K., here's one more but I don't know if it really qualifies. I've had it 32 years and this is it's second restoration, so it really wasn't a total rust bucket this time and pretty much everything was there.

So, you guys get to be the judges.

The first group of photos are "BEFORE" pictures.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now here are some of the "AFTER" pictures that were taken last winter and last weekend at a car show. The show was mostly for Hot Rods (Chrysler Products) and they wanted the M-37 for contrast with the blue truck next to it, which is also an M-37 (well, sort of, or was anyway....).

Still have to tie on the canvas, install all the radios, etc, etc,.

It's better than it was two years ago, though..... :)

Storm 51

Attachments

zout

Did you just absolutely miss all my build threads - pics are almost all on the SS site somewhere except two of the builds.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, we all marveled at your transformations, zout! We especially love the M43 ambulance, that was a lot of work to fix up and it just seemed to fall together for ya!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, ryan77. I've had that truck a long time. I hope one of my kids (or grand kids) keeps it after me.

It's a fun truck.

Storm 51 :driver:

Rusty1340

I done a couple smaller projects that fill the garage

My Bantam Trailer, John Wood Hand Cart and the Jeep Now working on the 1952 M37

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, your collection looks great! You've done a very nice job on those vehicles. I'm sure your M-37 is going to turn out impressive too.

Where did you find the hand cart? Those are so cool. I'd love to have one of those. Where do you look for those? Not something I'd expect to find mixed in with 5 tons and deuces. ;-)

Storm 51

Rusty1340

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those handcarts are cool, but not $1500 cool to me. Wow, I had no idea! I'll keep my eyes out for one but I don't imagine I'll ever even see one up here in the Pacific NW.

Still a cool little toy though! [thumbzup]

Storm 51

dc9137

Man, these are so encouraging! I've got my first M1009 on the way and it's going to need some work. Nice to know it's possible!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks