• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New toy

pwrwagonfire

So, today I was able to get everything else done. And I would like to personally thank my truck for helping me define my own personal definition of ****: installing brake lines. :?

First is a pic of the union nut I was waiting for, an old Wagner part. I went right out and got a brass plug for the 3rd inlet, and a star washer and 3/4 16 jam nut to attach it to the frame. These parts are in the second pic. BAM, installed like a breeze.

I included a picture of what the original part looked like on the truck, and the new one installed. I included a picture of the rear axle all done up with lines/hoses.

BIG problems hit me when I went to get the 8-9" piece of line that connects the MC to this union nut...I ruined THREE separate tries/peices of line at in my attempts at that. I would personally like to thank however Willard Auto Shop in Leominster, Mass for their assistance in bending several lines for me. They did it pro bono, and were professional and extremely friendly, and helpful.

So, gents FINALLY after the entire summer of work, the braking system on my truck has been completely replaced; and it feels great!

I'm hopefully gonna be home next weekend to add fluid/bleed the brakes and adjust the shoes.

Attachments

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

Well, made the appointment yesterday! The Tuesday following thanksgiving my M37 is being transported to the equipment shop where we bring our power wagons at work...

They are flushing out the engine block and water jacket, checking valves etc, and doing the head-gasket for me.

I'd LOVE to be able to do this stuff myself....BUT, I've got NO garage or hope of having access to one, OR an engine hoist etc. I'd trust this business with my life, and I have a good relationship with them, so I will be stopping in time to time to take pictures of the progress to pass on here! This way it'll at least get a little shelter during the snowy months as well

Over thanksgiving break I'm going to be putting on my winch mount bumper so that there is something up front to protect the radiator.

Probably going to re-build the winch it'self this winter, because its small enough to fit on my work bench!

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

So today I put the winch mount bumper on today in preparation for the truck going to the shop. I had a choice of two winch bumpers to add on, but I chose the one with the push bar; this is because I am restoring my truck to look like one we used to have in our fire district for years (which had several civilian modifications to make it more like the WM300s...I was able to get the bumper off of it while it was on its way to its new home, all of our power wagons have that push bar in front of the winch, no idea why!

I also got a couple NOS turn signals just like our wagons have for the front of it, as well as two new brake lights (mine were replaced and smashed prior to buying the truck). I included a picture of the front of one of our wagons, to show the installed flashers and push bar.

Not much progress, but every little bit helps!

Attachments

Last edited:

scorpion6

The top you have is in fact an old WC conversion top. The m-37 did not have a top built for the early models ,so the military removed the old outgoing WC tops and converted them to fit the m-37. These old top conversions are getting hard to find and while the windows do not roll well with the doors closed they are neat. As far as paint goes when I restored mine I went down to sherman williams and had them mix me some industrial enamel. Cheaper than gillespies ,and shoots semi gloss as the korean era trucks were supposed to. I have some extra parts left over from the VZ-24 telephone parts truck if anyone is interested? vz is the same as the m-37 except a longer wheel base. Some guys liked to convert the VZ to a 3 axel 6 wheel truck.2cents

STSCSS

about time on the brakes!
Just kidding the really are a PITA to do and with 3 other trucks I am not looking forward to it this next summer I did purchased the kit to make brake lines.
Now rebuilding the winch good luck and post lots of pictures

pwrwagonfire

about time on the brakes!
Just kidding the really are a PITA to do and with 3 other trucks I am not looking forward to it this next summer I did purchased the kit to make brake lines.
Now rebuilding the winch good luck and post lots of pictures
haha Thanks I appreciate it! Have fun with those brake lines...I am DREADING having to tackle the fuel lines on my M37.:-|

Well guys, yesterday I finally got my M37 to the shop for the valve job/head gasket!

Of course it wouldn't start...but I was able to crank it over in gear and walk it up onto the trailer (good thing I charged up that battery)

Trip was a breeze. I am going to try and get some pictures of the progress on the engine as the shop works on it!

Attachments

Bill W

I have some extra parts left over from the VZ-24 telephone parts truck if anyone is interested? vz is the same as the m-37 except a longer wheel base. Some guys liked to convert the VZ to a 3 axel 6 wheel truck.2cents

Whats a VZ-24 telephone truck???
Is it anything like a V-41 telephone truck

Attachments

bigzirb

Any updates on the progress of the truck? I am in the beginning stages of looking for an M37 and in gathering all the info I can so this is a great intro into bringing one back to life. Thanks for the pics.

Well, I have found a few already, but not in the shape I want or price range I can afford. ;-)

pwrwagonfire

Any updates on the progress of the truck? I am in the beginning stages of looking for an M37 and in gathering all the info I can so this is a great intro into bringing one back to life. Thanks for the pics.

Well, I have found a few already, but not in the shape I want or price range I can afford. ;-)
No real updates to report so far; for christmas my girlfriend got me the engine and clutch manual, so that was pretty cool...just stopped by the shop today where the headgasket, etc is being done and dropped it off for them to use. The truck has been unearthed from the mountain of snow it was under last week, and is now inside...they will be starting it this week!

Will try to get progress pictures as they work on it, will keep you guys posted!

bigzirb, good luck with your search! If you were up in the northeast I would be able to help you out

mrcucv

I am glad to here that it is inside. You need to get some more pictures and post them up. I cant wait for that thing to be on the road. Probably before mine haha

pwrwagonfire

Ahhh....at long last an update on progress!

Went by the engine shop today, they have my M37 all stripped but then they got swamped with agricultural work!

The mechanic showed me the headgasket, and how shredded it was (we knew this). It blew out between valve #3 and #4. Also, he did a compression test, and as I had feared there was very low compression in 3 of the valves. The first valve also has some pitting on the inside, making it not seat correctly. He is apparently dropping the oil pan tomorrow to remove the whole assembly.

The exhaust valves are REALLY gunked up, and pitted as well. He showed me how they don't seat correctly either. He is very optimistic about this job however, and I feel safe with my truck in their hands.

Also, my exhaust manifold has a hairline crack never noticed THAT before! :roll:

Well, here are the pictures so far...it looks like I am getting a complete engine job after all, which is ok cause it really needs it to run correctly! Poor old thing...
I don't know too much about this type of thing, but I assume they will be honing out the cylinders and possibly putting sleeves in them?

He said that when he drained the oil, there was gas in it

Thanks to CARNAC and his VIN info thread, I was able to find out that this particular truck comes from 1ST BATTALION, 151ST INFANTRY REGIMENT Jasper, IL
Pretty cool to finally know some background...he says the info in the system was from 1974!

Attachments

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

Stopped by the shop today. I had mentioned in another thread that I had acquired a new 230 to put into the truck; Old one has 3 bad pistons, every valve is pitted and doesn't seat correctly, cracked exhaust manifold, and bad rings.

Figured this would be a cheaper way around things! Turns out the new (to me) engine is stuck, and one valve may have had water in it. Also, see the attached picture for what the clutch looked like!! Still, in much better shape then the previous one, VERY greatful I got get it

I told the guys, make one good engine out of the two.

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard a bunch of stories about these hardtops. Don't know what to believe! I have an oval window like yours and have been told that the oval windows were rare compared to rectangular ones? Hopefully, someone here knows all the history on this. I can tell you that the lower corner on that top stabs me in the back every time I get in the truck! Great project, have fun with it. Take a look at my M37 album for some overhaul and repower pics.

pwrwagonfire

I have heard a bunch of stories about these hardtops. Don't know what to believe! I have an oval window like yours and have been told that the oval windows were rare compared to rectangular ones? Hopefully, someone here knows all the history on this. I can tell you that the lower corner on that top stabs me in the back every time I get in the truck! Great project, have fun with it. Take a look at my M37 album for some overhaul and repower pics.
I agree, that lower corner gets me every time as well!
Those apparently are really hardtops for a WC, they were retro fitted to work by the military on the M37s. I plan on taking off mine and getting a soft top in the future

So UPDATE: Turns out the original engine block was cracked. Somebody at some point replaced the water pump and used bolts which were too long, messed up the cylinder pretty bad got a big flat spot on one side!:roll:

SO, the engine I brought down was able to be freed up easily, and was apparently rebuilt not too long ago. The shop honed our the entire inside of the engine block, and was able to use parts from the old engine where needed.

The engine needs 40 over rings, and rod bearings and then with a complete gasket kit I will be in good shape!

pwrwagonfire

UPDATE: I got a new set of fenders to throw on cause the old ones were majorly rotted out...these "new" ones were really strong, except for a small amount of rot around the lower edges (pictures 1 & 2).

My buddy Rob (mrcucv here on SS) stripped them down to bare metal (8 coats of paints were on them in case you were wondering) and did the body work and primer on them for me. Turned out EXCELLENT.
He also fabricated a new plate to replace the rotted one on the passenger's side (I assume this is for the fording kit?

So, they are stored away in the shed waiting to be put on when my truck comes home!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks