• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the M911 Street Legal?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the opportunity to acquire an M911. The Vehicle Specification resource indicates and confirms that she's a WIDE BEAST:!:

Does anyone have actual/factual input on the "STREET LEGAL" aspect of OVERSIZE former MV's - Particularly the M911 that is approximately 113" Wide and 30' Long:?: (I understand that 8'6" (102") is max legal width)

My intent would be to keep her pure and do a full restoration - registered as a Former MV in Texas. I'll be calling the TxDPS in the morning for their "authoritive input". Would permits be required every time I wanted to test-drive or shuttle her to an exhibition/parade:?:

Or am I just looking at a beautiful BIG former MV paperweight that I wouldn't be able to do a dang thing with other than admire her:?:

Again - I'm looking for honest FACTS and EXPERIENCES on this.

Thanks in advance.
John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, before everyone starts chanting...nopics

I figured I'd beat you to the punch and post some representative pics... (this is NOT the actual vehicle, but some georgeous M911's)

Attachments

sodslinger

I have never personally owned a vehicle that wide, but our freight company hauls over width loads regularly and its and absolute must we pull permits before we are allowed to transport.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
absolute must we pull permits before we are allowed to transport.

That's exactly my concern - It would surely crimp any possibility of using her as a daily driver or grocery getter, huh:?:

Although, at approx 4 mpg, one would definitely want to minimize any "recreational" excessive use. But where's the fun in THAT:!::!::!:

dc3coyote

I would like to know how this goes, there were a couple on GL, I was thinking the same thing. I am just not sure if thats enough truck to pull the ole boat down to the ramp.

dittle

We have to permit our M911 (the one in your pictures with the M60A3 loaded on the trailer) anytime we want to take it anywhere due to it being oversized/overweight (when loaded). Now that being said these things are beasts to drive. I've driven 2 of ours with a M747 trailer attached but w/out a tank loaded. You should see my Deuce parked next to this thing.....kind of looks like a mini-me :-D

M1075

I have heard that you can take the outer wheels off the back and it will put it under the max width.
Here is a pic with the outer tires removed to keep within limits and a deuce being towed behind for a place to carry the extra tires! That deuce is on 11R20 tires so it looks a little bigger than stock.

Attachments

fasttruck

permitting would be a function of how the vehicle is registered: commercial plates absolutely, but as a "historical" or "antique" you may be exempt from fees depending on your state. And a 747 trailer is wider than the tractor so just because the front wheels fit through a gate that does not mean all else will follow. m 911s typically top out at about 45 mph with direct drive & tall rears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks