• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the M911 Street Legal?

M1075

Just for poops and grins, what does something like that go for on GL...ballparK? Maybe for Christmas? I'll put one on my "wish list":roll:
The most recent one sold at GL in OKC was around $32k before fees and taxes (pic below). Other ones have sold for $15K or so. I expect the one up now might do good to reach that mark.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be neat to fab up a rollback bed to put your 5 ton on so you still have room to flat tow your deuce or 109.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the original question, to run the 911: 1. Class A license w/airbrake endorsement, 2. Registration with TXDOT 3. Registration with USDOT 4. $500,000 liability (intrastate) 5. Drug testing consortium membership 6. Overwidth permits. 7. Safety equipment (fire ext, warning triangles, etc). If you wish to run interstate: above plus: 1. DOT medical card 2. Inspection records 3. Log book 4. $750,000 liability

I think it is a BIG question mark if you can run using the former military registration. Personally I am, with registration up to 65,000 GVW. I think the law does not address this special case, i.e. military tractor trailers for hobby use.

Just don't let anyone tell you that former military over 26,001 GVW is exempt as a Commercial Vehicle in Texas. You have to comply even for hobby use.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the original question, to run the 911: 1. Class A license w/airbrake endorsement, 2. Registration with TXDOT 3. Registration with USDOT 4. $500,000 liability (intrastate) 5. Drug testing consortium membership 6. Overwidth permits. 7. Safety equipment (fire ext, warning triangles, etc). If you wish to run interstate: above plus: 1. DOT medical card 2. Inspection records 3. Log book 4. $750,000 liability

I think it is a BIG question mark if you can run using the former military registration. Personally I am, with registration up to 65,000 GVW. I think the law does not address this special case, i.e. military tractor trailers for hobby use.

Just don't let anyone tell you that former military over 26,001 GVW is exempt as a Commercial Vehicle in Texas. You have to comply even for hobby use.
NDT (and everyone else, too):
Thank you for the input. I especially appreciate NDT's Texas experience talking directly to me.

As for those available on GL... The unit that I've been offered is a private "sale". As you know, I work for a cemetery and funeral home. The widow of a recently deceased rancher learned of my interest in MV's and mentioned "an old army truck" that her deceased husband had to play with on the ranch.

Initially I thought I was going out to the ranch to look at a Deuce or maybe a 5-Ton Tractor since she said there wasn't a trailer for it. I was absolutely AMAZED to see an M911 looking down at me when the barn door rolled aside!!!!

The kids and grandkids also like to play with it on the ranch (never on public roads), but in the interest of preservation, she's wanting to show her appreciation for what I have done for her and her family. Hence this "special estate sale" offer has been made to me. (I'd consider becoming a charity if I thought she'd GIVE it to an MV 501c organization).

The M911 currently resides on very large west Texas ranch and is FULLY operational, (including winches, but needs some TLC on the cosmetic side. Lots of surface rust, but in DRY west Texas it's a very minor issue and NOT structural nor "Steel Cancer". She's been kept out of the sun and weather for the past couple of years and all the tires are 90%. The rubber parts under the hood look fresh but the body rubber is kinda dried out. Best of all - she fires up on the first try and drives/shifts just like a new one!

Anywaze... Since the practicality of making her a roadworthy hobby MV for this working man seems very unlikely, I guess the next best thing to do would be to decline the offer and beg for "Playing Privileges" whenever I have time to go to the ranch for an "addiction fix".

Please don't beg to know where and how much and all the other sale questions - she is not for sale to the general public - the widow has made that perfectly clear. To her, it is an heirloom and a memory of her recently deceased husband and she's wanting to treat the M911 like it was his favorite pet. I count myself fortunate that she would trust me to preserve the truck in his memory and even come out and take her for a ride occassionally if I accepted it.
(I will post it up if she decides to sell it off though)

Again, I thank everyone for your input.
John

Last edited:

dittle

You are correct, we should see a picture of your Deuce parked next to the M911.

Sorry it took a while to get the pictures but here you go. I also got a M123A2C next to a Deuce as well as the M911 next to a M818 and M916.

Attachments

dk8019

Cold Warrior,

You might be able to look up a Museum in the area that would be willing to take it and host it in her husbands honor. It would be a worthwhile pursuit to preserve it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold Warrior,

You might be able to look up a Museum in the area that would be willing to take it and host it in her husbands honor. It would be a worthwhile pursuit to preserve it.
UPDATE:
This is not a closed issue at this writing. Yes, I've discussed possible "Organizational Adoption", spawning a new organization/charity/(?), and other options. Her husband so loved the memories of his military service and always helped a vet in need... there will be more to his legacy.

Will keep this posted as significant info becomes available.

saddamsnightmare

January 22nd, 2010.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior:

A serious chunk of machinery. Makes a deuce and a half look like a Cooper MINI.
I guess I'm lucky in that TXDOT had to register my M35A2 as a pickup truck, as that is how it's title came down from Colorado. The saying is that things are bigger in Texas, I suspect this trucks former owner just had it for the bragging rights at the local McDonald's.....

Good luck on the mission to save the truck, you might want to check with the Texas Military Museum at Camp Mabry. At last a truck big enough for even ol Sarge......

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks