• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selfridge deuces-what did you get?

Preacherboy

Maxx, they will have another deuce auction in Michigan for sure, there is still a lot of trucks there that say FMS freeze which stands for "foreign military sales". Chances are the sale will fall through and we will get a chance at the trucks.

If not you can go to Ohio or Indiana and it isn't that far of a recovery, or you can buy one through a private sale. For the right price anyone will sell you theirs.

rz14rt

My SF-97s arrived with another document, a title reassignment supplment which is a state of Florida Department of Highway Safety document. Is this new? I would appreciate input from Michiganders who have recently titled M35A2s. Also the docs refer to my vehicles as utility trucks and I want to title as pickup historical. Will this be a issue?

Lawrence of Arabia

I titled 3 out of Selfridge with MI titles and received no such docs. They messed up the VIN on one, but I was able to get it taken care of at the Secretary of State.

harleyrkc

At least you got your SF-97's back. I'm well over 30 days waiting for mine and all GL could tell me was that their waiting for a signature.

Preacherboy

I get the FL document as well, I just take all the paperwork down to the SOS and they give me a title, it usually isn't a problem.

I also highly doubt having the truck titled as "utility" will hurt you if you are getting the historical plates...

harleyrkc

I finally got my SF-97 paper work back today. Mine also came with the FL document. They were also nice enough to screw up the name and price paid, but they got is right on the FL document. I doubt I'll have any problems titling though.

harleyrkc

Finally got her titled today. However they tried to get me to title it with a 24 GVW plate for something like $460 a year.I ended up going with the historical plate for the time being. I'm not real excited about the plate but $45 a year sure beat the alternative, and I can always switch back later.

Which brings me to a question. How far can i stretch the "Club Activities" portion of the historic plate law? Maybe we need a club whose sole activity is finging new ways to utilize the truck.

harleyrkc

In Michigan, driving them is fine. Using it as a truck, isn't.
you better check your expiration date, it isn't $45 a year
Yeah, I wasn't real excited about the historical plate but I wasn't going to pay for a commercial plate either. I could be wrong about the $45 per year, I just know it cost me $45 to get out of the SOS. Is everyone else paying for commercial plates?

Lawrence of Arabia

I paid for commercial plates, but currently I am getting switched over to antique auto insurance so I can go to antique plates. I just can't justify spending $500.00 a year for a truck I only drive 5 times a year.

Preacherboy

Authentic historic plates are $35 for a lifetime, you send in a picture and fill out a form and plate your vehicle with a plate form the year of the truck.

Regular historic plates are $35 for 15 years.

I have the authentic historic plates, but I don't use my truck as a "truck"...it is a historic vehicle. As far as a "club", I've told people I am a member of the club called steel soldiers, they are fine with that (my insurance company.)

rz14rt

Title

I just titled mine an Hour ago. I stopped in Davison and titled them pickups, it took less than 15 min. This is the nicest, fastest SOS I have been to. After I choose insurance I will plate them historic vehicles. Harley I am glad you paperwork came through. Bob, do I uderstad correctly that I can drive the truck for ice cream, to work somtimes, or just for fun BUT never have lumber or any other cargo in the back?

harleyrkc

rz14rt what if todays "Club Activity" happens to include hauling lumber or maybe a load of top soil? I wasn't crazy about the historic plate thing but the "Club Activity" portion of that really offers a wide array of interpretations. What if we were all members of a military vehicle collectors club whose main activity included finding as many daily uses for their MV's as possible?

BTW I titled at the Davison SOS too. They've been the quickest SOS I know of for a long time.

Lawrence of Arabia

My friend that bought one of my Deuces is planning on carrying a MV magazine so he can look it up and point out the show he is going to if the officer asks. There is usually always something you can say your driving to.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had historic & Authetic plates on something for the last 15 years.
I have never been hassled.
Here is what you have to comply with

A Historical vehicle must be:
• 26 or more years old -- based on model year
• Owned solely as a collector’s item
• Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.​
Note: A designated historical vehicle cannot be used for routine transportation.

"events such as...". is a wide open statement, lots of wiggle room.
It used to also say public interest, etc. I have one of those in my car :mrgreen:

There is only the one clear restriction
"cannot be used for routine transportation"

there is some room here too, back and forth to work or shopping would be considered routine.
Driving a historical vehicle to show it off is not routine transportation, stopping by a store while you are out for a drive shouldn't be a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks