• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selfridge deuces-what did you get?

Preacherboy

The 5-Ton Tractor(M818?) is still sitting along M15 about one mile from my house.
Since it has been there a while now, perhaps the owner(uknown) would be a bit
flexible and bring down the asking price?? It is listed on the For Sale sign as
$3900

It is not in bad shape, decent hard-top cab, good tires and sheet metal. The
underside of the hood is nothing but rust, but it is sound. I have not seen it
run, but it seems it could be an decent addition to someone's motor pool if they
are looking for a 5-Ton.....

I would probably jump on it if it had a winch!

If anyone decides to buy it and needs assistance, I am only one minute away
and would gladly help. My cell is 989-233-7664:)
I have looked that truck over pretty extensively and I've talked to the owner, it must run because it is in a different spot than the last time I looked. He says he bought a m915 to haul his toy instead. This truck isn't a m818, it is a m52a2 with a multi-fuel engine. I'd like to buy it too if someone would buy my deuce.

I have posted some pics of the truck on another thread about 5-ton tractors or if someone needs pics I could email them to ya.

rz14rt

Recovery

I am going to pick mine up tomorrow and have a question. Does Joe have the ability to jump start the trucks or should I bring a 24 volt source?

Preacherboy

I am going to pick mine up tomorrow and have a question. Does Joe have the ability to jump start the trucks or should I bring a 24 volt source?
Joe has a jumper cable...you shouldn't need to bring anything.

Glad to hear the EUC's are going through, and shorter than the normal 60 days! they must need to clear out some room for something else.

rz14rt

Thanks, I assume he will have something running with 24 volts also. I will have tools, brake fluid, a tow bar and someone who has done this befor. Rusty will likely tow brakeless and we will come up M15.
I do hope Harley gets his EUC soon as he seems as anxious as I was.

harleyrkc

Thanks, I assume he will have something running with 24 volts also. I will have tools, brake fluid, a tow bar and someone who has done this befor. Rusty will likely tow brakeless and we will come up M15.
I do hope Harley gets his EUC soon as he seems as anxious as I was.
If only you new..... :jumpin:

rz14rt

Rusty and Brakeless are home at last. No problems and nice fall colors up M53 and M15. Thanks for the advice and help. All for now, as I am going back out to rub my antlers on them.

rz14rt

I know I am remiss with respect to pics. I took some but cannot figure out how to get them off my old camera to a newer computer. Workin on it. At any rate it seems I am looking at spending a fortune in batteries. Anyone ever us the battery rejuvinator stuff? Grasping at straws here.

Preacherboy

If you are talking about deuce batteries my dad and I just got the biggest CCA ones that Wal-Mart sells...I think they are the 65D's and they are $77 each so you will need 4 of them. You will have to put some 2x4's in there to brace them because the battery box is too big.

Or you can go get the right ones, but they are a lot bigger money.

rz14rt

Thanks for the suggestion. I work about a mile from the Saginaw Wmart so I bought two for $77 as you said. Cheap at twice the price and Rusty started right up. I then burned up a set of civilian jumpers (that I considered heavy) trying to start Brakeless. Won't do that again. I need good Nato jumpers.
Everything seems to work on these trucks except the brakes on Brakeless and I have only one (mild) dissapointment. Someone stole half a tank of fuel from Brakeless while I waited for my EUC. She was comletely full at preview. I only hope they needed the fuel more than I. Se la Vie!
Now I am going out to play in the dark with all the light options.

Preacherboy

rz14rt, my dad and I built a Nato slave cable because I couldn't find one cheap enough. Get some used 2/0 welding cable or something close that can handle 600 amps and then get 2 ends off ebay (you might also have to buy the adapters if your trucks are the old style 2 prong).

I ended up making our cable 25 feet long, and it works great! I have about $150 into mine, but I couldn't find any used cable, so I had to buy new...although the guy gave me an incredible deal on the 50 feet that I bought.

rz14rt

OK so now that I am coming up for air, my thoughts turn to a title. In Michigan do I need the to fill ot the GL form and pay the $60 per truck for an SF-97? Preacherboy, I assume that is what you did for your Dad's truck and just a bill of sale will not be accepted by the SOS.

Preacherboy

I had to purchase the SF-97 for both mine and my dad's truck. I called the SOS prior to spending that money, and they said you must have government form 97.

Order your SF-97 right away because it takes them 30 days or so to get it to you, then go to a SOS office and make them register it as a pickup, the 13,000 pound weight really throws them off. The MI title wil come within a week. I then sent in my application for a title along with the required paperwork for a historical plate and that come back within a week. If you are going with a regular plate they can probably do all that the same day you get a title.

rz14rt

If I search on TR-54, I find threads outlining a Michigan procedure where you pick up a form TR-54 from a SOS office, Have a police officer inspect the truck and fill out the form verifying vin, etc. You then bring the form, $15, a letter explaining the circumstances, and the bill of sale to show you paid sales tax to the SOS and apply for a title. I am thinking to try this. Anyone had experience with this rout or advice?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Michigan for previously untitled Gov't vehicles, the TR 54 vin inspection is not enough.
You must have a SF-97.

for "body style" the SOS is now classifying these as "utility" due to the 3 axles (and varying bed configurations.

Gunner0311

It is great to see someone else nearby with this hobby! I am located one mile north of
Millington at the corner of Ellis Road and Murphy Lake Road, so if you need help with
anything I am not very ar away.[thumbzup] Cell# 989-233-7664

P.S. The 5-Ton Tractor that was parked "For Sale" in Milington has been moved to
Birch Run Road, between M-15 and I-75.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks