• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new flasher on my M35A2, now the directional work only the first turn, but then it doesn't flash. Cleaned thre ground connector, fender contact area and washer surfaces bright and no difference...

TsgtB

found out how much coolant can come out of a bad radiator cap.... got a new one from Napa... 7$
figured out where the hissing was coming from, need to work on air line to horn, guess some copper work is in order.
Is that a flare end or compression fitting? (I'm thinking its a flare fitting, but I'll look into it).
Took the wife for a ride (first time), she liked it and said the ride was way smoother than she expected.
So, I got to put a few miles on the deuce, so that's a good thing.... :)

skinnyR1

found out how much coolant can come out of a bad radiator cap.... got a new one from Napa... 7$
figured out where the hissing was coming from, need to work on air line to horn, guess some copper work is in order.
Is that a flare end or compression fitting? (I'm thinking its a flare fitting, but I'll look into it).
Took the wife for a ride (first time), she liked it and said the ride was way smoother than she expected.
So, I got to put a few miles on the deuce, so that's a good thing.... :)
So that's good.

All of your missing coolant was coming out of the cap? Was there no indication that the coolant was being pushed out there?

TsgtB

So that's good.

All of your missing coolant was coming out of the cap? Was there no indication that the coolant was being pushed out there?
I understood they "self leveled" to a point if over filled... I've seen it push from the overflow tube out the bottom.
It DID come out on the drivers fender and windshield last time I drove it...
But while it was warming up today, I watched it dribble from the cap, so I stood on the running board and looked out at the cap, and gave her a little throttle... and it gushed out pretty good... on a cold engine and was NOT overfilled.

I did also notice the front (short) hose connection over the water pump (to the oil cooler), one had some residual rust trail where it too may leak or leaked when overheating. It needs replacing, its weathered and cracked.
And here I thought (fingers crossed still) I was having head gasket problems.
Feeling a little relieved to say the least.

RobM36A2

Went to pick up my M36A2 from inspection. It passed, so it's road legal for another year.
i asked the guy to fix the issue with not starting when hot.. Guess he did not... Luckily I also had my M1028 with me to pullstart.
Turns over, gets fuel, but not firing.. Pullstart and it roared to life..

Had a great day anyway, after easter call the shop again. :(

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I checked further for no brake lights using TM9-2320-209-20-2 and found the directional control unit to be defective. Replacement shall be ordered Monday

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got tired of fighting my hood. I painted and installed one of BBQRODs hood support kits today. The kit is well designed and installation was simple. It came with a solid coating of primer and everything necessary for installation, he even included a pull down cable. I don't have any trouble just grabbing it from the side and pulling down while I move around to the front, but the cable is a nice touch. See hood kit thread here. No more climbing up and tying the hood to my front M66 support leg before I do anything in the engine compartment. This is definitely a worthwhile mod.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got tired of fighting my hood. I painted and installed one of BBQRODs hood support kits today. The kit is well designed and installation was simple. It came with a solid coating of primer and everything necessary for installation, he even included a pull down cable. I don't have any trouble just grabbing it from the side and pulling down while I move around to the front, but the cable is a nice touch. See hood kit thread here. No more climbing up and tying the hood to my front M66 support leg before I do anything in the engine compartment. This is definitely a worthwhile mod.
Nice modification but I'd be concerned what the heat will do to those pistons.

m715mike

The better part of today was spent changing-out the air compressor on my truck. There's been oil in my air tanks for a while now. However, when the air compressor started knocking, it was obvious that time had come to swap it out. For good measures, I changed the air compressor belt. Also, since the oil filter canister had to come off, the truck got new oil and filters (it was due for an oil change anyway).

Let's see:

Oil and filters >> $ XXX
New belt for the air compressor pulley >> $ XXX
Tablet computer with TMs for quick reference >> $XXX
Custom air compressor pulley wrenches from comdiver >> $ XXX
Spending a day's worth of quality time with my favorite deuce and a half >> PRICELESS

Many thanks to Barrman for helping me to diagnose the issue and identify the compressor as my problem at the 2014 Annual Texas MV Rally!!

Towersafety

What did I do. Well I drove it about 45min away. Then back into the woods. Loaded the deuce and the 105 trailer with firewood then made the drive back. I was surprised at how well it climbed a hill. When I backed down the hill to one of the trees I was thinking I would have to winch it back up the hill.

Did have a stick bent the throttle rod. Easy fix just bent it back.

I also learned when breaking a lot to back down the hill the air compressor will not keep up with the engine at idle. Thought I busted an air line. As it was I just had not power breaks on a big hill.

EWhytsell

What did I do. Well I drove it about 45min away. Then back into the woods. Loaded the deuce and the 105 trailer with firewood then made the drive back. I was surprised at how well it climbed a hill. When I backed down the hill to one of the trees I was thinking I would have to winch it back up the hill.

Did have a stick bent the throttle rod. Easy fix just bent it back.

I also learned when breaking a lot to back down the hill the air compressor will not keep up with the engine at idle. Thought I busted an air line. As it was I just had not power breaks on a big hill.
Thats really cool, you used a deuce for something it was designed to do. All I did this weekend was take mine on a 1hr long shakedown cruise before I start my adventure to SC with it in a few weeks.

BBQROD

Nice modification but I'd be concerned what the heat will do to those pistons.
I do believe they will be fine. extreme cold on the other hand 5 or 10 degrees below 0* might be an issue. But for piece of mind I'm working on a extension for the M66 support leg. I will send it with all the new kits and send it to the guys that have already purchased one. If you watch the videos closely the hood goes up by itself. Just like your Tahoe and Suburban rear lift gates, its hard not to feel like your in a mouse trap.

Jeepsinker

I spent yesterday and today going through a rear hub and resealing it(again), then went through the whole front end minus the 3rd member,( boots, axle seals, all bushings, and packed bearings, and replaced one wheel cylinder. Bled the brake cylinder out on that side, but I think I still have air in there somewhere.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood flew open at 40 MPH , the center latch was bent and not catching consistently, which I ignored, and I forgot to fasten the two side hold down devices. The hood is bent but closes sufficiently. I ordered two new side fasteners and will repair the center latch.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood flew open at 40 MPH , the center latch was bent and not catching consistently, which I ignored, and I forgot to fasten the two side hold down devices. The hood is bent but closes sufficiently. I ordered two new side fasteners and will repair the center latch.
Oh that sucks!
While it may in fact "suck", we cannot deny that THIS WAS PREVENTABLE with the simplest of SAFETY MEASURES. Even the TMs specify a WALK AROUND INSPECTION and DO NOT OPERATE an UNSAFE VEHICLE.

General Commentary for ALL READERS:

I'm not being a jerk here. It's just that with a hood flying up and blocking the driver's vision ANYTHING and EVERYTHING could have turned REALLY BAD in a little more than a heartbeat. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, would have been a SURE VICTORY for the plaintiff's attorney in ANY CIVIL COURT where justice would be served.

The reputation of this hobby, and our ability (permission) to operate these Former Military Vehicles on the public highways is AT RISK - EVERY TIME WE DRIVE THEM ! ! ! DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT screw it up of EVERYONE just because of a poor decision to operate unsafely.

NEVER OPERATE AN UNSAFE MV

(or other vehicle).

If you do, expect the WORST outcome imaginable, then THINK AGAIN ! ! !

Kloakndagr

This week...

Well this week I did the following...

1. Painted the interior walls with primer/sealer from Zinsser (HD).
2. Framed out shower.
3. Framed out bathroom.
3. This was all after spending most of the week doing the "paper bag" wall paper treatment to walls. I wanted something different, the texture looks like leather. I'm painting mine for a more "cabin" feel.
4. Cut all lumber for loft bed setup (OP Loft bed) will drill assembly holes in the morning.
5. I even got to "test out" my $100 Craigslist generator, works great. It's a small 1000 watt, but serves it's purpose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks