• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a permit to construct a new over culvert pipe entranceway onto my property. My deuce can handle the depth of the drainage ditch, but eventually will erode the ditch. I like to think of it as a tank trap!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got these BucketBoss bags to keep the mess/tangle down in my deuce's tool box, and maybe prevent some wear on the hose and cables too. Perfect fit!

It would have been a fight each and every time to get the jumper cables in and out of the tool box, and I was already prone to keep scraping the edge of the air hose.

That's around 40' of 3/8" (inside diameter) Harbor Freight air hose on the left (tight, but doable fit) and 20' of 2 gauge jumper cable on the right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398579517.395148.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398579528.263795.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398579538.133868.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398579545.762474.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398579551.809772.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000022688/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_evXwtb01HR3A4

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new direction control assembly , directionals work on the first use of the control, but not on the second. troubleshooted according to the manual TM9-2320-209-20-2-1 page 25-214 and diagnosis is turn signal flasher .shall order new turn signal flasher.

mjcdetroit

Torn off front end, removed radiator, removed belts (original from 1988 & cracked), removed all hoses including water manifold hoses (all original from 1988 & starting to break down), scrapped old gaskets, and scrapped scrapped the old gaskets. Stopped enjoyed the view of the wife sun bathing. She's hot. Then replaced with new gaskets (made from felpro 3157), new hoses, new clamps, new bolts (grade eight), new lock washers.

I still need to put the belts back on, then the radiator and it's hoses back on. I am also going to put on a coolant filter and a KAT's 1000-watt circulating tank heater.

The only difficult thing thus far has been removing the male pipe-plug at the back of the block. Still trying... easy out seems like it will be in its future.

Attachments

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Built new troop seats and headboard. I ordered the white oak boards from a local sawmill (didn't even know we had one in town for the past 12 years!) 2 weeks ago - picked it up Friday afternoon. I had it planed to 3/4" x 3" x 10' for the headboard and 7/8" x 3" x 10' for the sides and troop seats. Cost $100 plus $20 for the carriage bolts, washers and nuts from Tractor Supply. My Brother's body shop blasted and painted the stakes last month - I'm just now getting to building them.

The job took about 3 hrs for the headboard yesterday and about 4 hrs for the sides today. I learned that an impact driver is your best friend building these things - ALOT faster than a gear wrench or even a ratchet!

IMG_20140427_145506451.jpgIMG_20140427_145706675_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to tear it all back apart and round over the edges on the router table. I also have to trim some of the carriage bolts to length (Tractor Supply had limited lengths to choose from). Then I can take all of the boards to my Brother's body shop for them to sand and seal with some spar varnish - that ought to make the truck stand out even more!

Last edited:

orrisd4

got my needle scaler from harbor freight , along with a new turn signal and gasket set, been using the scaler to remove aprox, 9 unusual colors of paint from the tank,(works like a dream).

tore off my operators side fender assembly for cab repair, and re-paint.

cab corner is BAD, i mean i actually pulled the fender off instead of removing the last two bolts.

going to remove the passenger side fender either Wednesday, or friday depending on schedule and weather .

managed to get the fuel can bracket off,going to sand blast and repaint it, oh yes i have a tentative date set for the first restart, it all depends when i get this fuel tank finished.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
having carefully diagnosed a defective flasher for my M35, I installed new new one: polished the ground wire connection and all the mounting fasteners for the good ground It needs...screw in flash plug, screw in directional control plug ( also new) , power switch to right, one click turn directional arm to up and lots of smoke! quickly, turn control rod to off! WHEW In my last post I followed the diagnostic instruction and essentially checked continuity for the two conductors going from the flasher to the directional controller, and the third continuity check was for the presence of ground. Now I am turning to TM9-2320-361-20 where the troubleshooting is more in terms of the relative harness. Smoke means high load, so I will check the light fixtures to look for obvious grounds and shorts...then start disconnecting until I find the high amperage draw...

SteveKuhn

I had a light short wipe out or carbonize a bunch of connections incl the turn signal switch internals. Make it a thorough check for damage as well as for the source of the problem.

Electricity can do weird stuff when things go wrong.

Steve

FloridaAKM

I went over my new Deuce, after recovering her from North Georgia yesterday. This truck was well maintained by somebody in the military, because she needed a little bit of brake fluid in the master cylinder & a lot of diesel fuel in the tank to get her home (420 miles), that is it. The mirrors needed a bunch of attention to get them lined up & useful, the troop seats needed a few bolt replacements & the rest of them tightened up to stop the rattling. The radiator was replaced a few years ago, so all of the hoses & fanbelts were changed @ that point. A solarizer was included with the truck from somebody (the military??) Everything works well, so all I need to do is drive her for now & see what pops up on the radar! What a sweet truck!

HanksDeuce

I just got back from spending time with CSM DAVIS and picking up some goodies. You rock, Jeff! Thanks again.

- 5 ton spare tire rack with davit / toolbox
- Frame mounted toolbox
- Automatic shifter and mounting platform

Going back next weekend for a special surprise! :D

M-35A3

Tried starting it for the first time in a week or two and it just cranks :cry: . Time to figure it out tho

tcruwithme

I changed the differential fluid in all three axles. I also changed the transmission fluid as well as the transfer case fluid. I'm glad it was all the same oil, and that I had a good hand pump on hand for the transmission and transfer case. I also changed out the rear brake lights and front turn signal lights for Grote LED lights and matching buckets. They look really good.

Next week, I need to replace the fuel shutoff pull lever. The end came off and I can't figure out how to get it back on. Fortunately, Scott up in Blaine had one on hand at a great deal. My blackout light is also missing from another project. I picked up one of those from Scott as well, and that goes in next week also. Finally, I hope to get the coolant filter installed that I saw over on the Hank's Deuce webpage.

Kloakndagr

Drove down to (Blisters13) AOR to pick up the free hitch, just in case you didn't know his deuce is one sweet ride. I enjoyed the conversation, would have shook his hand but he had kooties (flu). Hope he gets well soon. Thanks again Ken. I the proceeded another 90 miles south to visit some friends and get the hook in some good Southern California rolled tacos. Northern California Mexican food just doesn't cut it. I did see one sweet Bulgarian waitress, man I gotta find that russian bride website -- smokin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks