• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

freewheel axle flanges

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of pics of my modified front axle flanges. I turned out the spline area to an O.D. of 1.95". I shrunk in bronze bushing material and turned it out to an I.D. of 1.64". The major O.D. of the axle spline is 1.625". That gives me about 0.015 clearance for free running in grease. It is not as handy as turning a knob to disengauge the front axle, but it only cost me $70. That was for the flanges and postage. I can change the freewheel to locked axle flanges in less than 10 minutes.

Attachments

70deuce

Great mod and cheap! I like the zerk fitting. My guess you won't need that front axle for a drive axle 99% of the time anyways The military made hubs like you made for the M37. They were made out of aluminum and had bearing pressed into the hub to support the axle stub and let it stay stationary while the hub spins. Again, great igenuity on your part.

oddshot

Has anybody really determined if hubs on both sides MUST be de-splined?

Since its an open differential, I really don't see the need to do both sides.

I do know that this has been a topic of hot debate from time to time.

Not only would it be a cost benefit, but it would save a little work ... if you wanted/ needed to go back to driving the front wheels you would only have to change out one side.

oddshot

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The desplined hub caps idea has been around for a long time, It just seems NEW to the newer guys, I know someone who got stuck on a wet speed bump because the front and front rear had the desplined hub caps

70deuce

The only thing with doing one side would be that side's diff to spindle drive shaft would still be turning. As stated with an open diff that's no big thing but why not just have the spindle wheel bearings turning on both wheels and nothing else?

KsM715

If you only do one side you'll be spinning the spider gears alot more than they would normally see and cause exessive wear in those. I picked up a pair of fronts off 5ton last time I was down at Glens (91w350) to do just this same thing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've been running de-splined hubs for a while. The cost of selectable hubs is ridiculous if you ask me. I'll keep that $500 in my pocket and take 5min to swap caps!

(or let SW do it while I get drunk at the GA rally)

camoyj7

I've been running de-splined hubs for a while. The cost of selectable hubs is ridiculous if you ask me. I'll keep that $500 in my pocket and take 5min to swap caps!

That was my thought too!
Check with Clint from C&C thats where I got my extra drive flanges.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The desplined hub caps idea has been around for a long time, It just seems NEW to the newer guys, I know someone who got stuck on a wet speed bump because the front and front rear had the desplined hub caps
I resemble that remark! In my defense I was driving an M275A2 pulling an M103A3 with a shelter on it. Basically, the back of the truck weighed next to nothing. I still use my desplined hubbers.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I wondered if Gimpy remembered who Soldier "B" was...........

Darwin T

i run them in my M35a2. i hauled 33 9.00x20's on steel rims and a M101a3 w/CBC from Arkansas to South East Texas with no problems at all. :driver:

however i know a guy who has 3 deuces and only one has these on it and he stuck that one. flipped the transfer switch and could not get out. :drool: had the splined hubs in the tool box. he forgot that truck was the one with the desplinded hubs and had to get one of his other deuces to pull it out, weeks later he remembered it when he was with the only three guiys in the world who knew he had them. the guy who made them, the guy who installed them and the guy who watched him install them. :doh: he felt like a jack azz. i am not going to tell you his name, because i still fell like a jack azz. :oops:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i run them in my M35a2. i hauled 33 9.00x20's on steel rims and a M101a3 w/CBC from Arkansas to South East Texas with no problems at all. :driver:

however i know a guy who has 3 deuces and only one has these on it and he stuck that one. flipped the transfer switch and could not get out. :drool: had the splined hubs in the tool box. he forgot that truck was the one with the desplinded hubs and had to get one of his other deuces to pull it out, weeks later he remembered it when he was with the only three guiys in the world who knew he had them. the guy who made them, the guy who installed them and the guy who watched him install them. :doh: he felt like a jack azz. i am not going to tell you his name, because i still fell like a jack azz. :oops:
I feel your pain, someone I know stuck his 819 because he FORGOT that he had the AIR OFF to his sprag :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks