• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

freewheel axle flanges

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of Deuce hubs machined ten thousandths over spline OD. No bushings. I've run them a few hundred miles with no problems.

I like the addition of the grease fittings! I'll copy that.
You are right, there is no need for any hard steel or bronze bushing in the desplined cap. I have machined the splines from the M35 drive caps and i can tell you they are still harden steel there with the splines gone.

welldigger

You are right, there is no need for any hard steel or bronze bushing in the desplined cap. I have machined the splines from the M35 drive caps and i can tell you they are still harden steel there with the splines gone.
I agree with you steve. I don't see why so many people made a big deal out of putting a bronze bushing in the desplined caps. The axle sits inside the spindle and neither the spindle nor the axle shaft will be rotating. The cap will simply rotate around the axle splines. Nothing will be moving or flopping around to worry about.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the reasoning is that you will have steel on steel. If you had a bronze bushing in there, it would wear (which it will) instead of your axle shaft after a lot of miles.

welldigger

I think the reasoning is that you will have steel on steel. If you had a bronze bushing in there, it would wear (which it will) instead of your axle shaft after a lot of miles.
How would there be any steel on steel if you machine enough clearance for the axle splines?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On the deuce, there is NO NEED for a bushing because of the TWO bushings in the spindle, ONLY the 5ts need a bushing because there is only ONE bushing in the spindle and it is at the rear of the spindle, the cap supports the front of the axle.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the deuce, there is NO NEED for a bushing because of the TWO bushings in the spindle, ONLY the 5ts need a bushing because there is only ONE bushing in the spindle and it is at the rear of the spindle, the cap supports the front of the axle.
I have not seen two bushings in th M35, there is one bushing in the spindle.