• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

freewheel axle flanges

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once desplined a set of hubs.

I liked them right up until the day I forgot they were on the truck, and I drove across a friends lawn and sunk to the hubs. I turned the air lever on before crossing his lawn to tow his truck out of the soft lawn.

I stood in mud over my knees(it was nice green lawn just before this), changing my hubs back and still did not get it out without using a second deuce to winch it out.

I looked at his lawn all summer long, from the road. I was surprised he did not put up a sign saying I did it!

I never put them back on after that day.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I seem to remember some story about that. What pulled that 819 out?
JWALLER, then the SECOND time almost ran over BFR when I realized what the PROBLEM was and turned the air on and suddenly had traction when throttle was applied as he was backing up :roll:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have run desplined hubs for many years. They work fine. However those of you with M35A3s do not want to run them unless you put some sort of support in the end of the hub to hold the shaft. There is a bushing in the non A3 axles that was left out when they modified the older axles to handle the CTIS. So if you have no support on the end of the hub the shaft will drag on the inside of the wheel shaft opening. Ask me how I know that and I will tell you about the heat generated by letting the axle drag on the shaft tube.

KsM715

I have run desplined hubs for many years. They work fine. However those of you with M35A3s do not want to run them unless you put some sort of support in the end of the hub to hold the shaft. There is a bushing in the non A3 axles that was left out when they modified the older axles to handle the CTIS. So if you have no support on the end of the hub the shaft will drag on the inside of the wheel shaft opening. Ask me how I know that and I will tell you about the heat generated by letting the axle drag on the shaft tube.
Maccus-That's why I put the bronze bushings in the flange!
Is this bushing needed in the 5ton? (M809 series, non CTIS)

I had planned on getting bushings but If its not needed thats one less thing to pay for.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had planned on getting bushings but If its not needed thats one less thing to pay for.
Is it a good idea to put desplined hubs on a M809 truck? In the stock configuration, the road spins the front wheels, axle, and drive shaft. With desplined hubs, wouldn't the sprag "feel" the RPM difference between the front and rear axles and apply power to the front, thus spinning the front drive shaft and axle and leaving you turning the exact parts that you are trying to have remain stationary?

Much like a sprag deuce with lockout hubs.

plym49

Has anybody really determined if hubs on both sides MUST be de-splined?

Since its an open differential, I really don't see the need to do both sides.

I do know that this has been a topic of hot debate from time to time.

Not only would it be a cost benefit, but it would save a little work ... if you wanted/ needed to go back to driving the front wheels you would only have to change out one side.

oddshot
There is no reason to run two except for the emotional appeal of elegant symmetry.

If you run one, the axle on one side runs forward at road speed. The diff carrier is not turning since the transfer case is not engaged. The other (disconnected) axle stub turns in the opposite direction at road speed. Yes, the spider gears are precessing around to make this happen.

Spinning spider gears this way under no load and in a bath of gear oil produces no wear. They will do this from now until the end of time, no problem.

For the same reason, you only require one lockout hub. Most folks run two, because it seems that you should have two. Detroit has built millions of trucks that split only one axle to disconnect the front drive for a good 25 years or more. It obviously does not cause a problem.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is it a good idea to put desplined hubs on a M809 truck? In the stock configuration, the road spins the front wheels, axle, and drive shaft. With desplined hubs, wouldn't the sprag "feel" the RPM difference between the front and rear axles and apply power to the front, thus spinning the front drive shaft and axle and leaving you turning the exact parts that you are trying to have remain stationary?

Much like a sprag deuce with lockout hubs.
The only this would work on a 54/809 5t is to install the MWO thats cuts the air to the trans shift valves and the sprag shift, there by putting the sprag in neutral

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I had planned on getting bushings but If its not needed thats one less thing to pay for.[/QUOTE Jeff]

I do not know the answer to that question Jeff. But I am interested in knowing if someone has the answer.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

I would because the 5t hub ONLY has ONE bushing and that is at the knuckle end of the hub, the outer shaft is heavy so that would be a lot of weight bouncing around. AS far as the bushing goes, I would have a hardened metal insert made instead of bronze, on the out side of the end, I would drill and tap for a plug so a grease fitting can be installed to keep things lubed.

Last edited:

KsM715

Ron I am planing on my 5 ton to use the same switch/light/bracket that is used on the deuce air shift. But will plumb it like you said.
:ditto: Thats part of the plan, I just negleted to mention it.
I would because the 5t hub ONLY has ONE bushing and that is at the knuckle end of the hub, the outer shaft is heavy so that would be a lot of weight bouncing around. AS far as the bushing goes, I would have a hardened metal insert made instead of bronze, on the out side of the end, I would drill and tap for a plug so a grease fitting can be installed to keep things lubed.

I noticed how the shaft kind of flopped around on the truck I removed the hubs from. For now I still plan to put bushings in them for ease of mind.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only this would work on a 54/809 5t is to install the MWO thats cuts the air to the trans shift valves and the sprag shift, there by putting the sprag in neutral
Do you know what MWO this is? I've heard of it many times, but never found any information...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks